[vwnc] SOAP / WSDL question

Chris Winemiller
All,

I am using VW 7.4.1 for Web Services.  I have a case where a Web client
is sending me a SOAP message (in an HTTP POST message, as usual).  The
HTTP message has this line near the top:

Soapaction:
urn:semi-org:ws.E132-1.V0305.SessionManagerBinding:EstablishSession

When the HTTP message is received by my image, the client receives an
error message back, containing within it a "MessageNotUnderstood"
description.

I can retry the scenario by sending the image the exact same message,
but this time with double-quotes around the value in the Soapaction
line, like this:

Soapaction:
"urn:semi-org:ws.E132-1.V0305.SessionManagerBinding:EstablishSession"

My image will process the incoming message correctly.

Question: Are double quotes required in the Soapaction header?  If not,
then there is a bug in this method:
   Opentalk.SOAPRequest >> operationTagHttpHeader:

That method is written with the assumption that the Soapaction value is
a string surrounded by double-quote characters.

Chris

--
Chris Winemiller                mailTo:[hidden email]
Adventa Control Technologies    Voice: 972-543-1683

Re: [vwnc] SOAP / WSDL question

Kogan, Tamara
The SoapAction header is implemented based on:

http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.0-2004-04-16.html#refinement
16510080

Tamara Kogan
Smalltalk development,
Cincom Systems

Behalf
> Of Chris Winemiller
> Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 9:49 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [vwnc] SOAP / WSDL question
>
> All,
>
> I am using VW 7.4.1 for Web Services.  I have a case where a Web
client

> is sending me a SOAP message (in an HTTP POST message, as usual).  The
> HTTP message has this line near the top:
>
> Soapaction:
> urn:semi-org:ws.E132-1.V0305.SessionManagerBinding:EstablishSession
>
> When the HTTP message is received by my image, the client receives an
> error message back, containing within it a "MessageNotUnderstood"
> description.
>
> I can retry the scenario by sending the image the exact same message,
> but this time with double-quotes around the value in the Soapaction
> line, like this:
>
> Soapaction:
> "urn:semi-org:ws.E132-1.V0305.SessionManagerBinding:EstablishSession"
>
> My image will process the incoming message correctly.
>
> Question: Are double quotes required in the Soapaction header?  If
not,
> then there is a bug in this method:
>    Opentalk.SOAPRequest >> operationTagHttpHeader:
>
> That method is written with the assumption that the Soapaction value
is

> a string surrounded by double-quote characters.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Winemiller                mailTo:[hidden email]
> Adventa Control Technologies    Voice: 972-543-1683
> 3001 East Plano Parkway #100
> Plano TX 75074-7422
> http://www.AdventaCT.com

Re: [vwnc] SOAP / WSDL question

Steven Kelly

Tamara Kogan wrote:
> The SoapAction header is implemented based on:

http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.0-2004-04-16.html#refinement
16510080

Based on that page, best practice would be that when sending,
SOAPActions are quoted (if VW sends them), but when receiving, both
quoted and unquoted are accepted. As always, be strict in what you send
but liberal in what you accept.

In any case, a MessageNotUnderstood error for an unquoted value isn't
right: the spec allows a Fault, but presumably with content saying
something like "SOAPActions must be quoted".

Steve

PS I don't see the Opentalk.SOAPRequest>>operationTagHttpHeader: method
Chris mentioned in my 7.4.1 SOAP image, but maybe he has something extra
loaded?

Re: [vwnc] SOAP / WSDL question

Chris Winemiller

Tamara Kogan wrote:

The SoapAction header is implemented based on:

http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.0-2004-04-16.html#refinement
16510080

Based on that page, best practice would be that when sending,
SOAPActions are quoted (if VW sends them), but when receiving, both
quoted and unquoted are accepted. As always, be strict in what you send
but liberal in what you accept.

In any case, a MessageNotUnderstood error for an unquoted value isn't
right: the spec allows a Fault, but presumably with content saying
something like "SOAPActions must be quoted".

Steve

PS I don't see the Opentalk.SOAPRequest>>operationTagHttpHeader: method
Chris mentioned in my 7.4.1 SOAP image, but maybe he has something extra
loaded?
You must load the Opentalk-SOAP package.

Tamara, Cincom needs to take Steve's advice to heart: "be strict in what you send but liberal in what you accept."

Even the best-practices organization you cite says the standard says: "HTTP allows unquoted header field-values".

Please have Cincom write an AR to correct this bug.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: [vwnc] SOAP / WSDL question

Kogan, Tamara
The AR is created:
55003: "The Http client should be able to accept unquoted header field
values"

Tamara Kogan
Smalltalk development,
Cincom Systems