[vwnc] Scientific Plotting In Smalltalk

Tom Carden-4
Hi All,

Is anyone aware of a plotting package for Smalltalk that is more geared up for science applications rather than business? Something like GNUPlot?

Any help appreciated.

Tom.

Re: [vwnc] Scientific Plotting In Smalltalk

Alan Wostenberg-2
Tom, take a look at Eye See from the software composition group at
http://moose.unibe.ch/tools/eyesee

-Alan Wostenberg
 Key Technology, Walla Walla Washington

Tom Carden wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is anyone aware of a plotting package for Smalltalk that is more
> geared up for science applications rather than business? Something
> like GNUPlot?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Tom.

Key Technology, Inc. Disclaimer Notice - The information and
attachment(s) contained in this communication are intended for the
addressee only, and may be confidential and/or legally privileged.
If you have received this communication in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete this communication from any
computer or network system. Any interception, review, printing,
copying, re-transmission, dissemination, or other use of, or taking
of any action upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited by law and may
subject them to criminal or civil liability. Key Technology, Inc.
is not liable for the improper and/or incomplete transmission of
the information contained in this communication or for any delay in
its receipt.

Re: [vwnc] Scientific Plotting In Smalltalk

Travis Griggs-3

On Mar 24, 2009, at 5:14 PM, Alan Wostenberg wrote:

> Tom, take a look at Eye See from the software composition group at
> http://moose.unibe.ch/tools/eyesee

And don't be afraid to roll your own either. :)

For quick visualization of something, a package like eyesee is great.
But I find (personally), that if I'm building an application, I almost
always end up wanting to tune the particulars of the plot to the
context and domain I'm working with. Things like axis rendering, and
legend placement can be tricky to make "turnkey", IME.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: [vwnc] Scientific Plotting In Smalltalk

Charles Adams
Do you see using Eye See to develop strip charts? That is, continuously
updating charts. I want to graph an ongoing process. That means

    multi-line diagram
    open-ended axis limits
    dynamically added data

Charlie
> Tom, take a look at Eye See from the software composition group at
> http://moose.unibe.ch/tools/eyesee
>
> -Alan Wostenberg
> Key Technology, Walla Walla Washington
>

> Tom Carden wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is anyone aware of a plotting package for Smalltalk that is more
>> geared up for science applications rather than business? Something
>> like GNUPlot?
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Tom.

> Key Technology, Inc. Disclaimer Notice - The information and
> attachment(s) contained in this communication are intended for the
> addressee only, and may be confidential and/or legally privileged.
> If you have received this communication in error, please contact
> the sender immediately, and delete this communication from any
> computer or network system. Any interception, review, printing,
> copying, re-transmission, dissemination, or other use of, or taking
> of any action upon this information by persons or entities other
> than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited by law and may
> subject them to criminal or civil liability. Key Technology, Inc.
> is not liable for the improper and/or incomplete transmission of
> the information contained in this communication or for any delay in
> its receipt.

Re: [vwnc] Scientific Plotting In Smalltalk

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
If only you could embed flash...

http://www.fusioncharts.com/

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header.
Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and
confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.

> Tom, take a look at Eye See from the software composition group at
> http://moose.unibe.ch/tools/eyesee
>
> -Alan Wostenberg
> Key Technology, Walla Walla Washington
>

> Tom Carden wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is anyone aware of a plotting package for Smalltalk that is more
>> geared up for science applications rather than business? Something
>> like GNUPlot?
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Tom.

> Key Technology, Inc. Disclaimer Notice - The information and
> attachment(s) contained in this communication are intended for the
> addressee only, and may be confidential and/or legally privileged.
> If you have received this communication in error, please contact
> the sender immediately, and delete this communication from any
> computer or network system. Any interception, review, printing,
> copying, re-transmission, dissemination, or other use of, or taking
> of any action upon this information by persons or entities other
> than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited by law and may
> subject them to criminal or civil liability. Key Technology, Inc.
> is not liable for the improper and/or incomplete transmission of
> the information contained in this communication or for any delay in
> its receipt.

Re: [vwnc] Scientific Plotting In Smalltalk

Eliot Miranda-2

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Travis Griggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 24, 2009, at 5:14 PM, Alan Wostenberg wrote:

> Tom, take a look at Eye See from the software composition group at
> http://moose.unibe.ch/tools/eyesee

And don't be afraid to roll your own either. :)

For quick visualization of something, a package like eyesee is great.
But I find (personally), that if I'm building an application, I almost
always end up wanting to tune the particulars of the plot to the
context and domain I'm working with. Things like axis rendering, and
legend placement can be tricky to make "turnkey", IME.

You might take a look at the Squeak PlotMorph which I used in my VM profiler (e.g. QVMProfiler-ContextForumsLoadInterpret.jpeg).  This is really simple, easy to extend and even pretty.  Its got a lot of features not shown in my example shows (any number of plots in the same graph, automatically computes the ranges, shows area under the curve, pluggable axis labelling).

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist
"The best way to know you have a mind is to change it" -Judge Pierre
Leval

Re: [vwnc] Scientific Plotting In Smalltalk

Cesar Rabak
Tom Carden escreveu:
> Hi All,
>
> Is anyone aware of a plotting package for Smalltalk that is more geared
> up for science applications rather than business? Something like GNUPlot?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Tom.

Except if some reply did not arrive, I didn't see GNUPlot parcel itself
mentioned yet.

Some years ago (IIRC VW 7.2) it was possible to use it, but I don't know
how it would fare with present versions of VW...

Thomas Gagne used to participate in this list, so perhaps we can have
some more authoritative info from him.

More far fetched (but I fell obliged since Eliot's mention to a Squeak
package) in Dolphin Smalltalk there is a pac that integrates Smalltalk
to R, which in addition to be a fine statistics program has a lot of
useful graphs available.

HTH

--
Cesar Rabak