[vwnc] Smalltalk for dummies

BREITH Karl-Albert (AREVA)
Smalltalk for dummies

I know, this question was already answered more than once.
But I didn't store those informations, because I am not a beginner anymore.

Now a colleague of mine has to start with Cincom Smalltalk (first time in > 10 years!).
She asks for a good book (in English or French) for a dummy to start with.
I have only the old language reference book (Smalltalk-80 The Language).

Thanks for any hint, Karl

Karl Breith
AREVA NP GmbH
FDWN-G

Postfach 1109
91001 Erlangen

Phone:   +49 (0) 9131 900 95544
Fax:     +49 (0) 9131 900 94081
mail to:  [hidden email]
An AREVA and Siemens company

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Olivier Wantz - Geschäftsführer: Ulrich Gräber, Rüdiger Steuerlein
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Erlangen - Registergericht: Fürth,
HRB 7817 - www.areva-np.com - Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE 206407096
Supervisory Board Chairman: Olivier Wantz - Managing Directors: Ulrich Gräber, Rüdiger Steuerlein
Company Seat: Erlangen - Commercial Registries Fürth, HRB 7817 -
www.areva-np.com - VAT ID code: DE 206407096
Wichtiger Hinweis: Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse bzw. sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen Dank.

Important Note: This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: [vwnc] Smalltalk for dummies

Björn Eiderbäck-2
There are a lot of free Smalltalk books collected by Stéphane Ducasse at http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html

Björn

Re: [vwnc] Smalltalk for dummies

James Robertson-7
I don't have a book recommendation (other than the one from Bjorn), but have a look at the screencasts at

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Oct 29, 2009, at 3:50 AM, BREITH Karl-Albert FDWN5-G (AREVA NP GmbH) wrote:

[...]

Henrik Sperre Johansen
One of the good things about VW is that the documentation in the /doc folder is actually quite good :)
For a beginner, I guess the ToolGuide and Walkthrough would be good starting points.

In addition, I'd also recommend the Smalltalk Daily videos to get aquainted with the VW system.
With the category reorganization it's even quite easy to find if one has been made on a specific topic.

Cheers,
Henry

On Oct 29, 2009, at 9:06 36AM, Björn Eiderbäck wrote:

There are a lot of free Smalltalk books collected by Stéphane Ducasse at http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html

Björn

Re: [vwnc] Smalltalk for dummies

jWarrior
BREITH Karl-Albert FDWN5-G (AREVA NP GmbH) wrote:
Smalltalk for dummies

I know, this question was already answered more than once.
But I didn't store those informations, because I am not a beginner anymore.

Now a colleague of mine has to start with Cincom Smalltalk (first time in > 10 years!).
She asks for a good book (in English or French) for a dummy to start with.
I have only the old language reference book (Smalltalk-80 The Language).

Smalltalk By Example is a good book that you can dip into to see how Smalltalk does things compared to other languages.

Thanks for any hint, Karl

Karl Breith
AREVA NP GmbH
FDWN-G

Re: [vwnc] Smalltalk for dummies

Cesar Rabak
BREITH Karl-Albert FDWN5-G (AREVA NP GmbH) escreveu:

> I know, this question was already answered more than once.
> But I didn't store those informations, because I am not a beginner anymore.
>
> Now a colleague of mine has to start with Cincom Smalltalk (first time
> in > 10 years!).
> She asks for a good book (in English or French) for a dummy to start with.
> I have only the old language reference book (Smalltalk-80 The Language).
>
> Thanks for any hint, Karl

> Karl,

Some time ago I've been in a similar situation, although the requirement
wasn't a /for dummies/ book, where some freshmen with no prior exposure
to Smalltalk needed to work in a project the lab I belonged in the
University was involved with.

The project used a MAS platform developed in VW so I found Ducasse's
site, and observed the two specific links to be more useful for
introductory material due they being based in VisualWorks albeit older
versions, but otherwise less problematic than if you select one of the
newer additions to the site (which appear first) but are based in other
dialects.

http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/HopkinsHoran/HopkinsHoran.pdf
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/Joy/

my 0.019999....

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.

Re: [vwnc] Smalltalk for dummies

erikgj
I was at that point about 2 years ago. Do recommend the VW documentation set because it is very well written.

Also this book is very good and is available in pdf form: art and science of smalltalk.pdf

and

This book is great as well: Object and design

I use this search page to find screencasts on the cincom site. http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/MediaSearch/MediaSearch.html

BREITH Karl-Albert FDEEC (AREVA NP GmbH) wrote

mail to:  Karl-Albert.Breith@areva.com
[...]

Niall Ross
Dear Karl,
    Kent Beck's 'Smalltalk Best-Practice Patterns' is an excellent very
simple introduction to Smalltalk coding idioms for people coming fresh
to the language.  Whenever I managed a Smalltalk team I routinely asked
all Smalltalk newbies to read it.  It is 12 years old but except for
making her aware of the ANSI #allSatisfy: and #anySatisfy: methods
(which now are reliably present in all Smalltalk dialects AFAIK), I
don't know that anything in it needs changing.

          Yours faithfully
             Niall Ross