[vwnc] TimeSoZone error for Israel in XP SP3

1 message Options

[vwnc] TimeSoZone error for Israel in XP SP3

Steven Kelly
MetaEdit+ for Windows: downloading instructions

Just a heads up for users of TimeSoZone:

There is a Microsoft bug in the Israeli time zone handling in XP SP3, which manifests with TimeSoZone as an error “SystemTimeToTZSpecificLocalTime() failed”. The error appears on the first time or date operation, and repeats on all subsequent such operations. As the first operation in writing the error log is to write the time, that too fails with “A diagnostic dump of the error could not be made, or the dump was incomplete”.

The solution is to change the time zone data in the registry to be compatible with SP3, and I’ve attached a registry patch that will do this.

1.       Log in as an account with local administrator rights.

2.       Start | Run | regedit

3.       Choose File | Export and enter the following for the Selected Branch field at the bottom:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\Israel Standard Time\Dynamic DST

4.       Save to your desktop as IsraelSP3.reg, thus backing up this section of the registry.

5.       Unzip the attached .zip file to your desktop, producing one .reg file

6.       Right-click the .reg file and choose Merge, agreeing to apply the changes to your registry.
(If you later want to revert the patch, simply Merge the IsraelSP3.reg file from step 4 instead)

This should cure the problem not only for VW / TimeSoZone, but also for the many other affected applications: Apache, Javascript, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Visual SourceSafe, Microsoft Office, TortoiseSVN etc.

Another approach may be to hand-edit the registry following Microsoft’s instructions, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953917. However, that seems to only fix 2008, not later years, and we have not tested it yet; the solution above changes all years and is confirmed for at least two applications.

The solution was from here; we also tried this but it didn’t help in our case.

Since TimeSoZone code is called for pretty much all time and date requests, I think it should handle errors. For many apps, failing to get the right TimeZone is annoying but should not be fatal. The best solution might be if it raised an Error on the first occurrence and offered to ignore it and use a null TimeZone from then on, or maybe a Notification and continued automatically with a null TimeZone.

HTH,

Steve