[vwnc] VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

[vwnc] VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

garduino
Hi:

I want to know if exist projects on VW focused on electronic,
robotics, industrial control as PIC/PLC/Other processors programming.

Thanks,

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz

Re: [vwnc] VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

James Robertson-7
Jon Hylands has been working on Robots in Squeak for years; it would
be fairly straightforward to do the same thing in VW.

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Jan 20, 2009, at 5:43 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I want to know if exist projects on VW focused on electronic,
> robotics, industrial control as PIC/PLC/Other processors programming.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Germán S. Arduino
> http://www.arsol.biz
> http://www.arsol.net

Re: [vwnc] VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

Reinout Heeck
Germán Arduino wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I want to know if exist projects on VW focused on electronic,
> robotics, industrial control as PIC/PLC/Other processors programming.
>
> Thanks,

At the ESUG conference there were two hardware topics:

Madeo: High-Level Tools and Object Methodology for Reconfigurable
Architectures
http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2008/Madeo?_s=oCivMfSXXXQBUVQW&_k=HZmw-i4H&_n&27

http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/Esug2008Media/uploads/1/Presentation_Madeo_Loic_Lagadec.pptx

Using Smalltalk for a Heat Control System

http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2008/Using+Smalltalk+for+a+Heat+Control+System?_s=Le7sgZE95nsMLIMR&_k=0zdOXaH8&_n&28
   http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/Esug2008Media/uploads/1/6-Left-HeatControl.pdf

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Home_Heating_Control_in_Smalltalk_-_Audio&entry=3403371643

-

[vwnc] Fwd: VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

garduino
2009/1/20 Reinout Heeck <[hidden email]>:

> Germán Arduino wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I want to know if exist projects on VW focused on electronic,
>> robotics, industrial control as PIC/PLC/Other processors programming.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> At the ESUG conference there were two hardware topics:
>

> Madeo: High-Level Tools and Object Methodology for Reconfigurable
> Architectures
> http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2008/Madeo?_s=oCivMfSXXXQBUVQW&_k=HZmw-i4H&_n&27
>
> http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/Esug2008Media/uploads/1/Presentation_Madeo_Loic_Lagadec.pptx
>

> Using Smalltalk for a Heat Control System
>
> http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2008/Using+Smalltalk+for+a+Heat+Control+System?_s=Le7sgZE95nsMLIMR&_k=0zdOXaH8&_n&28
>   http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/Esug2008Media/uploads/1/6-Left-HeatControl.pdf
>
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Home_Heating_Control_in_Smalltalk_-_Audio&entry=3403371643

> -

Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz

Re: [vwnc] Fwd: VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

Ralph Johnson
i believe that ControlWORKS is in VisualWorks.  At least, ten years
ago there was a system like this with a name similar to "ControlWorks"
that was in VisualWorks.  The advertising doesn't mention Smalltalk,
but everything they say about it is compatible with it being in
Smalltalk.

http://www.adventact.com/products/controlworks/

Re: [vwnc] Fwd: VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

James Robertson-7
That's by Adventa, and yes, it's still around, and they are a Cincom
customer

On Jan 20, 2009, at 8:19 AM, Ralph Johnson wrote:

> i believe that ControlWORKS is in VisualWorks.  At least, ten years
> ago there was a system like this with a name similar to "ControlWorks"
> that was in VisualWorks.  The advertising doesn't mention Smalltalk,
> but everything they say about it is compatible with it being in
> Smalltalk.
>
> http://www.adventact.com/products/controlworks/

[vwnc] Fwd: Fwd: VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

garduino
Thanks also Ralph and James for the additional data!

Cheers.

2009/1/20 James Robertson <[hidden email]>:

> That's by Adventa, and yes, it's still around, and they are a Cincom
> customer
>
> James Robertson
> Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
> Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library
>

> On Jan 20, 2009, at 8:19 AM, Ralph Johnson wrote:
>
>> i believe that ControlWORKS is in VisualWorks.  At least, ten years
>> ago there was a system like this with a name similar to "ControlWorks"
>> that was in VisualWorks.  The advertising doesn't mention Smalltalk,
>> but everything they say about it is compatible with it being in
>> Smalltalk.
>>
>> http://www.adventact.com/products/controlworks/

Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

Re: [vwnc] Fwd: VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

Chris Winemiller
ControlWORKS is still around, and is a product of Adventa (my company).
It is indeed written in VisualWorks.  I'm a senior member of the
ControlWORKS development team and I have been with the product from its
inception.  Writing programs for semiconductor equipment is a challenge
because a typical machine is controlled by multiple programs running on
multiple computers.  The programs must communicate with each other by
passing messages, and each program must control its hardware components
in a highly asynchronous manner.  Smalltalk is very effective in this
environment.  Smalltalk Processes are heavily used to implement the
asynchronous control.  And we implemented our own remote object
communication protocol long before anything like Opentalk ever existed.
Oh--and the program(s) also implements a UI for a human operator and
also communicates with factory-level software applications (using
standardized messaging protocols) for data collection, remote control,
recipe management, etc.

The VisualWorks development environment is lean and mean (compared to
Eclipse, for example).  And Smalltalk, as a language, allows one to
concentrate on solving the problem at hand instead of fiddling with
useless language syntax like private, internal, external, etc., etc.

Chris

Ralph Johnson wrote:

> i believe that ControlWORKS is in VisualWorks.  At least, ten years
> ago there was a system like this with a name similar to "ControlWorks"
> that was in VisualWorks.  The advertising doesn't mention Smalltalk,
> but everything they say about it is compatible with it being in
> Smalltalk.
>
> http://www.adventact.com/products/controlworks/

Chris Winemiller
Adventa Control Technologies
http://www.AdventaCT.com

Re: [vwnc] VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

Weimer, Richard (ETS-Elec)
Germán,

I have used Visualworks for several years for developing a robotic LCD display tester for aerospace products here at my company.  This software includes both the robotic control interface, interfaces to several models of optical cameras, a fairly complicated LCD color and brightness calibration algorithms, and a flexible LCD verification measurement environment.

Because of using Smalltalk as the language choice, I have been able to reuse the existing software quite easily as new products are introduced here at Honeywell.

Richard Weimer
Staff Engineer
Electronic Test Systems
Honeywell, Intl.
(602) 436-2503

Re: [vwnc] Fwd: VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

There was also the hyperstone chip which runs Squeak on it (MVC B/W).
I have a screenshots of the boot they had at a conference.

On Jan 20, 2009, at 5:06 PM, Chris Winemiller wrote:

> ControlWORKS is still around, and is a product of Adventa (my
> company).
> It is indeed written in VisualWorks.  I'm a senior member of the
> ControlWORKS development team and I have been with the product from
> its
> inception.  Writing programs for semiconductor equipment is a
> challenge
> because a typical machine is controlled by multiple programs running
> on
> multiple computers.  The programs must communicate with each other by
> passing messages, and each program must control its hardware
> components
> in a highly asynchronous manner.  Smalltalk is very effective in this
> environment.  Smalltalk Processes are heavily used to implement the
> asynchronous control.  And we implemented our own remote object
> communication protocol long before anything like Opentalk ever
> existed.
> Oh--and the program(s) also implements a UI for a human operator and
> also communicates with factory-level software applications (using
> standardized messaging protocols) for data collection, remote control,
> recipe management, etc.
>
> The VisualWorks development environment is lean and mean (compared to
> Eclipse, for example).  And Smalltalk, as a language, allows one to
> concentrate on solving the problem at hand instead of fiddling with
> useless language syntax like private, internal, external, etc., etc.
>
> Chris
>
> Ralph Johnson wrote:
>> i believe that ControlWORKS is in VisualWorks.  At least, ten years
>> ago there was a system like this with a name similar to
>> "ControlWorks"
>> that was in VisualWorks.  The advertising doesn't mention Smalltalk,
>> but everything they say about it is compatible with it being in
>> Smalltalk.
>>
>> http://www.adventact.com/products/controlworks/

> Chris Winemiller
> Adventa Control Technologies
> http://www.AdventaCT.com

Re: [vwnc] Fwd: VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

thomas.hawker
Key Technology up in Walla Walla, WA, builds food processing equipment.  Although I believe from a presentation by Travis that the actual real-time aspects are written in C++, the UI presentation is done in VW.  I think his colleague, Randy Coulter (sp?), is still at Key.

Cheers!

Tom Hawker
--------------------------
Senior Framework Developer
--------------------------
Home +1 (408) 274-4128
Office +1 (408) 576-6591
Mobile +1 (408) 835-3643

There was also the hyperstone chip which runs Squeak on it (MVC B/W).
I have a screenshots of the boot they had at a conference.

On Jan 20, 2009, at 5:06 PM, Chris Winemiller wrote:

> ControlWORKS is still around, and is a product of Adventa (my
> company).
> It is indeed written in VisualWorks.  I'm a senior member of the
> ControlWORKS development team and I have been with the product from
> its
> inception.  Writing programs for semiconductor equipment is a
> challenge
> because a typical machine is controlled by multiple programs running
> on
> multiple computers.  The programs must communicate with each other by
> passing messages, and each program must control its hardware
> components
> in a highly asynchronous manner.  Smalltalk is very effective in this
> environment.  Smalltalk Processes are heavily used to implement the
> asynchronous control.  And we implemented our own remote object
> communication protocol long before anything like Opentalk ever
> existed.
> Oh--and the program(s) also implements a UI for a human operator and
> also communicates with factory-level software applications (using
> standardized messaging protocols) for data collection, remote control,
> recipe management, etc.
>
> The VisualWorks development environment is lean and mean (compared to
> Eclipse, for example).  And Smalltalk, as a language, allows one to
> concentrate on solving the problem at hand instead of fiddling with
> useless language syntax like private, internal, external, etc., etc.
>
> Chris
>
> Ralph Johnson wrote:
>> i believe that ControlWORKS is in VisualWorks.  At least, ten years
>> ago there was a system like this with a name similar to
>> "ControlWorks"
>> that was in VisualWorks.  The advertising doesn't mention Smalltalk,
>> but everything they say about it is compatible with it being in
>> Smalltalk.
>>
>> http://www.adventact.com/products/controlworks/

> Chris Winemiller
> Adventa Control Technologies
> http://www.AdventaCT.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Email from OOCL is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If it is not intended for you, please delete it immediately unread.  The internet cannot guarantee that this communication is free of viruses, interception or interference and anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept the risks in doing so.  Without limitation, OOCL and its affiliates accept no liability whatsoever and howsoever arising in connection with the use of this email.  Under no circumstances shall this email constitute a binding agreement to carry or for provision of carriage services by OOCL, which is subject to the availability of carrier's equipment and vessels and the terms and conditions of OOCL's standard bill of lading which is also available at http://www.oocl.com.

Re: [vwnc] Fwd: VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

Randy Coulman

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Key Technology up in Walla Walla, WA, builds food processing equipment.  Although I believe from a presentation by Travis that the actual real-time aspects are written in C++, the UI presentation is done in VW.  I think his colleague, Randy Coulter (sp?), is still at Key.

It's Coulman, actually, and yes I'm still there.  All of our direct hardware interaction and real-time code is in C++ at present, but the rest of the system is in VW Smalltalk.

Randy
--
Randy Coulman

Re: [vwnc] VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

Mike Hales
KnowledgeScape is a adaptive optimization and expert control system in VisualWorks.  We interface to PLC and DCS systems using OPC or custom drivers and do high level control and optimization.  Our market focus is mineral processing plants, but we have done many projects in other industries too.  Our product uses multiple Smalltalk images that communicate with each other using a message bus we implemented with Opentalk.  A separate user interface image communicates to the server images to perform configuration reporting etc.  Our deployed user interface uses Widgetry, and makes heavy use of Cairo for graphics.  We see Smalltalk as a hugh advantage for us against our competitors.

Mike

Mike Hales
Engineering Manager
KnowledgeScape
www.kscape.com

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi:

I want to know if exist projects on VW focused on electronic,
robotics, industrial control as PIC/PLC/Other processors programming.

Thanks,

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

Re: [vwnc] VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

garduino
Thanks to all the people responding, a lot of info very useful to me.
I will check all on detail.

And talking about this topic, some of the pointed app are open source?
Or exist some
useful starting point to learn about the VW-Micropoc programming?

Thanks again!
Germán.

2009/1/20 Mike Hales <[hidden email]>:

> KnowledgeScape is a adaptive optimization and expert control system in
> VisualWorks.  We interface to PLC and DCS systems using OPC or custom
> drivers and do high level control and optimization.  Our market focus is
> mineral processing plants, but we have done many projects in other
> industries too.  Our product uses multiple Smalltalk images that communicate
> with each other using a message bus we implemented with Opentalk.  A
> separate user interface image communicates to the server images to perform
> configuration reporting etc.  Our deployed user interface uses Widgetry, and
> makes heavy use of Cairo for graphics.  We see Smalltalk as a hugh advantage
> for us against our competitors.
> Mike
>
> Mike Hales
> Engineering Manager
> KnowledgeScape
> www.kscape.com
>

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> I want to know if exist projects on VW focused on electronic,
>> robotics, industrial control as PIC/PLC/Other processors programming.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Germán S. Arduino
>> http://www.arsol.biz
>> http://www.arsol.net

Re: [vwnc] VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

Niall Ross
also summary write-ups of these in

http://www.esug.org/data/ReportsFromNiallRoss/NiallRossStSESUGVASUG2008Report.pdf

Reinout Heeck wrote:

>Germán Arduino wrote:
>

>>Hi:
>>
>>I want to know if exist projects on VW focused on electronic,
>>robotics, industrial control as PIC/PLC/Other processors programming.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>

>At the ESUG conference there were two hardware topics:
>

>Madeo: High-Level Tools and Object Methodology for Reconfigurable
>Architectures
>http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2008/Madeo?_s=oCivMfSXXXQBUVQW&_k=HZmw-i4H&_n&27
>
>http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/Esug2008Media/uploads/1/Presentation_Madeo_Loic_Lagadec.pptx
>

>Using Smalltalk for a Heat Control System
>
>http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2008/Using+Smalltalk+for+a+Heat+Control+System?_s=Le7sgZE95nsMLIMR&_k=0zdOXaH8&_n&28
>   http://vst.ensm-douai.fr/Esug2008Media/uploads/1/6-Left-HeatControl.pdf
>
>http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Home_Heating_Control_in_Smalltalk_-_Audio&entry=3403371643

>-

Re: [vwnc] VW and electronic projects (PIC/PLC other micro programming)

Coen De Roover

Last March, Brian Berry gave an interesting talk about Smalltalk on
microcontrollers in the embedded world: http://www.imec.be/SE4ES/TALKS/Barry08.html
The slides might be available somewhere.

Groetjes,
Coen