[vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

Andres Fortier-2
Hi list,
           we are about to buy a smartphone and I just wanted to make
sure that VW should run fine in it. The device is a Samsung SGH-i900
Omnia (http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1039).
Could someone confirm that the device/OS is supported?

--
Thanks in advance,
                              Andrés

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

James Robertson-7
We support Windows CE on x86 and ARM based systems.  It should work on
that system, but bear in mind that we haven't tested that device
specifically

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Oct 16, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Andres Fortier wrote:

> Hi list,
>           we are about to buy a smartphone and I just wanted to make
> sure that VW should run fine in it. The device is a Samsung SGH-i900
> Omnia (http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1039).
> Could someone confirm that the device/OS is supported?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance,
>              Andrés

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

Nowak, Helge
Dear Andrés,

I am sorry, there is no guarantee that VisualWorks will run on any special device other than the tested ones. But from the specs given you have a fair chance that it will: it is an XScale processor running MS Windows Mobile.

If there should occur any problems we'll be able to adapt VisualWorks to the given specs. We can offer this as a service on a times&material basis.

So, my recommendation: if possible try it out!

Cheers
Helge

Helge K. Nowak
Technical Account Manager Cincom Smalltalk
Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
Am Kronberger Hang 4
D-65824 Schwalbach/Ts.
Tel.: +49-(0)89-89664494
Mobil: +49-(0)172-7400402
Fax: +49-(0)89-89664495
Email: mailto:[hidden email]
Web: http://smalltalk.cincom.com

Alles über Cincom Smalltalk:
http://smalltalk.cincom.com

A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
-- Albert Einstein

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Gerald L. Shawhan
oHG mit Sitz/based in Schwalbach/Ts. (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRA 2653)
Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB 5069)

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

Andres Fortier-2
Thanks James and Helge for your responses! I guess we'll take the chance.

Best regards,
                      Andrés

James Robertson escribió:

> We support Windows CE on x86 and ARM based systems.  It should work on
> that system, but bear in mind that we haven't tested that device
> specifically
>
> James Robertson
> Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
> Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library
>

> On Oct 16, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Andres Fortier wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>           we are about to buy a smartphone and I just wanted to make
>> sure that VW should run fine in it. The device is a Samsung SGH-i900
>> Omnia (http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1039).
>> Could someone confirm that the device/OS is supported?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks in advance,
>>              Andrés

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

david.long
Hi James,

I tried to run VW on WinCE recently. It wouldn't work on the 64 meg unit - came back with a memory initialization error.
I would guess that at least 128 megs is needed.

David

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 08:28 -0400, James Robertson wrote:
We support Windows CE on x86 and ARM based systems.  It should work on
that system, but bear in mind that we haven't tested that device
specifically

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Oct 16, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Andres Fortier wrote:

> Hi list,
>           we are about to buy a smartphone and I just wanted to make
> sure that VW should run fine in it. The device is a Samsung SGH-i900
> Omnia (http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1039).
> Could someone confirm that the device/OS is supported?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance,
> 		              Andrés

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

Nowak, Helge
WinCE is more like a construction kit and all WinCE devices differ heavily in their libraries. Therefore we simply cannot tell in advance whether VisualWorks will run on a given device.

Maybe 64MB are indeed not enough depending on what else runs on the device, but that may or may not have been the problem with your device (see above). You can also try adjusting the size of the memory available to programs. Some devices allow that, some don't.

Cheers
Helge

I tried to run VW on WinCE recently. It wouldn't work on the 64 meg unit - came back with a memory initialization error.
I would guess that at least 128 megs is needed.

David

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 08:28 -0400, James Robertson wrote:
We support Windows CE on x86 and ARM based systems.  It should work on
that system, but bear in mind that we haven't tested that device
specifically

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Oct 16, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Andres Fortier wrote:

> Hi list,
>           we are about to buy a smartphone and I just wanted to make
> sure that VW should run fine in it. The device is a Samsung SGH-i900
> Omnia (http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1039).
> Could someone confirm that the device/OS is supported?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance,
> 		              Andrés

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

Conor Shankey

I wouldn’t waste time and focus in on the iPhone. This platform seems to be a ringer and has a commercial model that is growing fast, is trendy and hot, and is working for software developers (unlike almost every other commercial software model that is failing now). VW Smalltalk is nicer than Objective C (at least for us graying geeks), unless you like doing your own memory managementJ

I tried to run VW on WinCE recently. It wouldn't work on the 64 meg unit - came back with a memory initialization error.
I would guess that at least 128 megs is needed.

David

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 08:28 -0400, James Robertson wrote:

We support Windows CE on x86 and ARM based systems.  It should work on
that system, but bear in mind that we haven't tested that device
specifically

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Oct 16, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Andres Fortier wrote:

> Hi list,
>           we are about to buy a smartphone and I just wanted to make
> sure that VW should run fine in it. The device is a Samsung SGH-i900
> Omnia (http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1039).
> Could someone confirm that the device/OS is supported?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance,
>                            Andrés

Your business, your way.
http://sageteagroup.com

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

Nowak, Helge
Dear Conor,

when we introduced VisualWorks on Windows CE a) the iPhone didn't exist yet and b) we didn't have that much the mass market in mind but the professional market of specialized devices like the ones from Psion-Teklogix (http://www.psion-teklogix.com/), Motorola (ex-Symbol) (http://www.motorola.com/business/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=868af6fd97b45110VgnVCM1000008406b00aRCRD) or the skeye-series of Höft&Wessel (http://www.hoeft-wessel.com/de/produkte/skeye_allegro.htm).

The iPhone would be a totally new environment for VisualWorks, the inverstment required to port to and maintain it would be very significant. The return would have to be big and realisitcably achievable. So, if you have ideas for applications that can fund such an effort let's talk about it.

I would also be interested in which way you think the iPhone "commercial model ... is working for software developers" better than others.

Cheers
Helge

Helge K. Nowak
Technical Account Manager Cincom Smalltalk
Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
Am Kronberger Hang 4
D-65824 Schwalbach/Ts.
Tel.: +49-(0)89-89664494
Mobil: +49-(0)172-7400402
Fax: +49-(0)89-89664495
Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://smalltalk.cincom.com

Alles über Cincom Smalltalk:
http://smalltalk.cincom.com

A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
-- Albert Einstein

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Gerald L. Shawhan
oHG mit Sitz/based in Schwalbach/Ts. (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRA 2653)
Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB 5069)

I wouldn’t waste time and focus in on the iPhone. This platform seems to be a ringer and has a commercial model that is growing fast, is trendy and hot, and is working for software developers (unlike almost every other commercial software model that is failing now). VW Smalltalk is nicer than Objective C (at least for us graying geeks), unless you like doing your own memory managementJ

I tried to run VW on WinCE recently. It wouldn't work on the 64 meg unit - came back with a memory initialization error.
I would guess that at least 128 megs is needed.

David

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 08:28 -0400, James Robertson wrote:

We support Windows CE on x86 and ARM based systems.  It should work on
that system, but bear in mind that we haven't tested that device
specifically

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Oct 16, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Andres Fortier wrote:

> Hi list,
>           we are about to buy a smartphone and I just wanted to make
> sure that VW should run fine in it. The device is a Samsung SGH-i900
> Omnia (http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1039).
> Could someone confirm that the device/OS is supported?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance,
>                            Andrés

Your business, your way.
http://sageteagroup.com

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

Roland Wagener
Hi everybody

please bare in mind that the memory setting slider in WinCE has to be
moved so that VisualWorks has enough memory to actualy start up! Default
settings may lead to the observed behaviour, also stop all running apps
to free up memory first. We used VW on an HP device with 64Meg, it was
only a small image, and we carefully had to adjust the memory slider,
dividing OS-Memory from application-Memory.

Greetings from Dortmund

Roland
--
Roland Wagener * Senior Consultant * [hidden email]
Tel: x49-231-9 75 99-26   Fax: x49-231-9 75 99-20

david schrieb:

> Hi James,
>
> I tried to run VW on WinCE recently. It wouldn't work on the 64 meg unit
> - came back with a memory initialization error.
> I would guess that at least 128 megs is needed.
>
> David
>
> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 08:28 -0400, James Robertson wrote:
>> We support Windows CE on x86 and ARM based systems.  It should work on
>> that system, but bear in mind that we haven't tested that device
>> specifically
>>
>> James Robertson
>> Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
>> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
>> Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library
>>

>> On Oct 16, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Andres Fortier wrote:
>>
>> > Hi list,
>> >           we are about to buy a smartphone and I just wanted to make
>> > sure that VW should run fine in it. The device is a Samsung SGH-i900
>> > Omnia (http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1039 <http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1039>).
>> > Could someone confirm that the device/OS is supported?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >              Andrés
> Your business, your way.
> http://sageteagroup.com

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

Andre Schnoor

Am 16.10.2008 um 18:27 schrieb Conor Shankey:

I wouldn’t waste time and focus in on the iPhone. This platform seems to be a ringer and has a commercial model that is growing fast, is trendy and hot, and is working for software developers (unlike almost every other commercial software model that is failing now). VW Smalltalk is nicer than Objective C (at least for us graying geeks), unless you like doing your own memory managementJ

I would also be very much interested in using VW on the iPhone. This platform really has some impressive commercial momentum, at least in the B2C market. Just like with iTunes, the convenience makes it.

As the apps are sold for a hand full of bucks only, you'll need a couple thousand purchases per week, though, in order to get a sustainable revenue that's worth the development effort. Only the most popular apps currently achieve this. Anyway, they in fact /do/ achieve it and that's impressive.

Andre

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

Lautaro Fernández
Hi Roland,

2008/10/17 Roland Wagener <[hidden email]>
Hi everybody

please bare in mind that the memory setting slider in WinCE has to be
moved so that VisualWorks has enough memory to actualy start up! Default
settings may lead to the observed behaviour, also stop all running apps
to free up memory first. We used VW on an HP device with 64Meg, it was
only a small image, and we carefully had to adjust the memory slider,
dividing OS-Memory from application-Memory.

Greetings from Dortmund

Keep in mind that not all WinCE (at least on some iPAQs) have the memory slider as you said. For instance, the iPAQ rx9510 and iPAQ hx2700 don't have it.

Bye,
Lautaro

PS: sorry Roland for the double mail.

--
Luke LAut SkyFernadezWalker

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

James Robertson-7
With the caveat that VW doesn't run on the iPhone (and it's unlikely to anytime soon).

However, it's quite possible to create web apps that will work fine on the iPhone, and Seaside would be a great choice there

On Oct 16, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Conor Shankey wrote:

I wouldn’t waste time and focus in on the iPhone. This platform seems to be a ringer and has a commercial model that is growing fast, is trendy and hot, and is working for software developers (unlike almost every other commercial software model that is failing now). VW Smalltalk is nicer than Objective C (at least for us graying geeks), unless you like doing your own memory managementJ

I tried to run VW on WinCE recently. It wouldn't work on the 64 meg unit - came back with a memory initialization error.
I would guess that at least 128 megs is needed.

David

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 08:28 -0400, James Robertson wrote:
We support Windows CE on x86 and ARM based systems.  It should work on
that system, but bear in mind that we haven't tested that device
specifically

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Oct 16, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Andres Fortier wrote:

> Hi list,
>           we are about to buy a smartphone and I just wanted to make
> sure that VW should run fine in it. The device is a Samsung SGH-i900
> Omnia (http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1039).
> Could someone confirm that the device/OS is supported?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance,
>                            Andrés

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

david.long
Hi James,

we found one of the problems with web apps on the phone is the relatively weak transmitter that a portable device has. The transmitter uses up more
power the further it gets from the base station, and it needs to be able to talk back as well as receive information. Receiving is easier than sending
the return signal. Sometimes you can not always reply to a message, such as a http message  for example.

I think there is a need to explore this further, find out a recommended platform and more tests to show what communications can be done over
portables like phones or hand helds. Maybe we could dedicate a forum or something so that we can crystalize this info?

regards,

David

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 09:24 -0400, James Robertson wrote:
With the caveat that VW doesn't run on the iPhone (and it's unlikely to anytime soon).

However, it's quite possible to create web apps that will work fine on the iPhone, and Seaside would be a great choice there

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Oct 16, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Conor Shankey wrote:

I wouldn’t waste time and focus in on the iPhone. This platform seems to be a ringer and has a commercial model that is growing fast, is trendy and hot, and is working for software developers (unlike almost every other commercial software model that is failing now). VW Smalltalk is nicer than Objective C (at least for us graying geeks), unless you like doing your own memory managementJ

I tried to run VW on WinCE recently. It wouldn't work on the 64 meg unit - came back with a memory initialization error.
I would guess that at least 128 megs is needed.

David

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 08:28 -0400, James Robertson wrote:
We support Windows CE on x86 and ARM based systems.  It should work on
that system, but bear in mind that we haven't tested that device
specifically

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Oct 16, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Andres Fortier wrote:

> Hi list,
>           we are about to buy a smartphone and I just wanted to make
> sure that VW should run fine in it. The device is a Samsung SGH-i900
> Omnia (http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1039).
> Could someone confirm that the device/OS is supported?

> --
> Thanks in advance,
>                            Andrés

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

Cesar Rabak
Nowak, Helge escreveu:
> Dear Conor,

[snipped]
> I would also be interested in which way you think the iPhone "commercial
> model ... is working for software developers" better than others.

Please add one to this crowd count!

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.

Am 17.10.2008 um 09:33 schrieb Nowak, Helge:

I would also be interested in which way you think the iPhone "commercial model ... is working for software developers" better than others.

It works in a way that for a relatively small development effort (couple weeks of firing up something neat and handy with Cocoa or Ruby), one gets instant revenue of several thousand dollars a month, or even per week, if a gadget happens to become very popular. And the global iPhone user base is still growing.

Achieving this leverage on traditional marketing and distribution channels is far more frustrating and risky. The iPhone platform currently has sort of a "hack a hit and get rich" promise attached to it, which attracts many developers.

Ony may argue that most of the gadgets are minimalistic and of no practical use. But, as it happens, a lot many people obviously love to buy useless gimmicks, provided the purchase is convenient and spontaneous enough.

Never underestimate human nature ;-)

Andre

Re: [vwnc] VisualWorks in smartphones

Stéphane Ducasse
Squeak runs on iPhone so may be this is time to help getting better
there.

Stef