[vwnc] What's the "best" garbage collection?

[vwnc] What's the "best" garbage collection?

Stefan Schmiedl
I see several garbage collection methods.
Which one will result in the "cleanest" image, where
as much as possible is gc-ed?

Thanks,
s.

Re: [vwnc] What's the "best" garbage collection?

Andres Valloud-6
In terms of maximizing the amount of garbage collected, the two methods
to use are

ObjectMemory globalGarbageCollect

and

ObjectMemory globalCompactingGC

Andres.

Re: [vwnc] What's the "best" garbage collection?

Milan C(ermák
Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
> I see several garbage collection methods.
> Which one will result in the "cleanest" image, where
> as much as possible is gc-ed?

How long after last reference disappearing?
Usually the problem is not in garbage collector keeping some object, but
in remaining references.

Milan

> Thanks,
> s.

Re: [vwnc] What's the "best" garbage collection?

Stefan Schmiedl
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:53:44 +0200
Milan C(ermák <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
> > I see several garbage collection methods.
> > Which one will result in the "cleanest" image, where
> > as much as possible is gc-ed?
>
> How long after last reference disappearing?

Ideally, immediately. This is intended as final cleanup step after
automatically setting up an image, be it for development or deployment.

s.