[vwnc] duplicate bundle version strings

Stevenson, Dave (contr)
[vwnc] duplicate bundle version strings

Our Store repository shows 2 versions of a bundle with the same version string. The versions were published by different developers 2 seconds apart.

Will this hurt the repository in any way?

If so, how can I fix it? (garbage collection seems only to work for packages...)

Stevenson, Dave (contr) <[hidden email]>

Smalltalk Developer

Manufacturing Execution System / Shop Floor Control
972-946-4890

Re: [vwnc] duplicate bundle version strings

Alan Knight-2
It's not harmful. You can ignore it. Or garbage collection should work on bundles. Or if you load StoreGlorp and bring up the Store Workbook you'll find expressions that will let you change all kinds of stuff in your database, although getting them wrong most definitely will hurt the repository, so you want to be careful.

At 05:44 PM 2009-10-19, Stevenson, Dave (Contr) wrote:

Our Store repository shows 2 versions of a bundle with the same version string. The versions were published by different developers 2 seconds apart.

Will this hurt the repository in any way?

If so, how can I fix it? (garbage collection seems only to work for packages...)

Stevenson, Dave (contr) <[hidden email]>

Smalltalk Developer

Manufacturing Execution System / Shop Floor Control
972-946-4890

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: [vwnc] duplicate bundle version strings

Dave Stevenson-3
I would also think garbage collection should work on bundles, but bundles don't show up in the list - only packages.

Anyway, the Store Workbook worked out well.

Thanks!

It's not harmful. You can ignore it. Or garbage collection should work on bundles. Or if you load StoreGlorp and bring up the Store Workbook you'll find expressions that will let you change all kinds of stuff in your database, although getting them wrong most definitely will hurt the repository, so you want to be careful.

At 05:44 PM 2009-10-19, Stevenson, Dave (Contr) wrote:

Our Store repository shows 2 versions of a bundle with the same version string. The versions were published by different developers 2 seconds apart.

Will this hurt the repository in any way?

If so, how can I fix it? (garbage collection seems only to work for packages...)

Stevenson, Dave (contr) <[hidden email]>

Smalltalk Developer

Manufacturing Execution System / Shop Floor Control
972-946-4890

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: [vwnc] duplicate bundle version strings

Niall Ross
Dear Dave,
    when resetting the version name using Store Glorp, be sure you also
reset its prior version.  Just resetting the version string will nil it
by default and it's easy to save that and then wonder why it no longer
knows who its parent is.

The following script can be run in the Store workbook to rename while
avoiding loss of parent info.

| wrongVersionPundle |
wrongVersionPundle := (session read: StorePackage where:
      [:each | each name = 'ThePackageName' &
      (each version = 'TheWrongVersionString')]) first.
session inUnitOfWorkDo:
      [session register: wrongVersionPundle.
      wrongVersionPundle previous: wrongVersionPundle previous.
      wrongVersionPundle version: 'TheRightVersionString'].
session reset.

 > I would also think garbage collection should work on bundles,
 > but bundles don't show up in the list - only packages.

The Store GarbageCollector UI is limiting.  You could try
garbage-collect programmatically:

GarbageCollector
    removeBundles: #()
    packages: (Array with:
        (Package pundleWithName: 'ThePackageName' version:
'TheUnwantedVersion'))

or

GarbageCollector
    removeBundles: (Bundle
        allVersionsWithName: 'TheBundleName'
        andBlessingLevel: Policies blessingPolicy brokenBlessing)
    packages: #()

Obviously you must be connected with Administrator privileges ro run
these (and should ensure any careless coders who might try a quick clean
up do not have them, and that your backups are up-to-date  - easy to
lose more than you intend.) :-)

HTH
          Yours faithfully
             Niall Ross