[vwnc] filename dependencies of IDE

Steffen Märcker
Hi,

I am copying my development folder regularly from Windows to Mac and back
again. One thing makes this somehow error prone, namely the absolute path
to user loaded parcels stored in the image. Is there a way to tell the
system that it should use relative paths in general to locate them in the
file system?

THX,
Steffen

Re: [vwnc] filename dependencies of IDE

Holger Guhl
My "trick" is the other way round: When publishing a parcel, I provide a
path with a logical name in it, e.g. '$(USERPROFILE)\My
Documents\Smalltalk\parcels'. Parcels store the path in its properties,
in form of its components, in order to care for some platform
portability. If you make sure that each platform defines an environment
variable for the logical file name, pointing to the copied directory,
then you do not need to do anything.
This approach works well for me. I have to sync an application on a
couple of hosts. A simple copy of the (development) image and the parcel
directory is sufficient. Source code is accessible on each host.
For use with Store you might need the patch in attached file
"PublishAsParcelDialog class-publishAsParcel.st". It enables input of
logical file names in the parcel destination path.

Cheers
- Holger

Steffen Märcker schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I am copying my development folder regularly from Windows to Mac and back
> again. One thing makes this somehow error prone, namely the absolute path
> to user loaded parcels stored in the image. Is there a way to tell the
> system that it should use relative paths in general to locate them in the
> file system?
>
> THX,
> Steffen

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<st-source>
<time-stamp>From VisualWorks®, 7.5 of 16. April 2007 on 23. Oktober 2007 at 13:30:48</time-stamp>

<methods>
<class-id>Store.PublishAsParcelDialog class</class-id> <category>interface opening</category>

        "Open a dialog for package/bundle parcel publishing."
        "self publishAsParcel: ( Registry packageNamed: 'Store-UI' )"

        | dialog filename |
        aPundle hasCodeOverridden
                ifTrue: [ ^Dialog warn: (#NoParcelWithOverrides &lt;&lt; #packages &gt;&gt; 'Parcels cannot be saved with overrides.') ].
        ( aPundle relatedParcel ~~ nil and: [ aPundle relatedParcel hasUninstalledCode ] )
                ifTrue: [ ^Dialog warn: (#NoParcelWithUninstalled &lt;&lt; #packages &gt;&gt; 'Parcels cannot be saved with uninstalled code.') ].
        dialog := self new.
        dialog pundle: aPundle.
        dialog open.
        dialog accept value
                ifFalse: [ ^nil ].

        filename := ( dialog parcelDirectory value ) asLogicalFileSpecification asFilename.
        aPundle
                saveAsParcel: filename
                saveStructure: dialog bundleStructure value
                saveLinks: dialog databaseLinks value
                parcelOptions: dialog options.</body>
</methods>

</st-source>

[vwnc] symbols of vwnt.exe

Dziedzic, Peter

Hello,

i am debugging a crash-dump of my vwnt.exe. Is there a possibility to get the Symbols of the vwnt.exe?

best regards,

Peter Dziedzic

--------------------------------------

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Meßtechnik GmbH/ Industrial Metrology
Softwareentwicklung/Software Development

P e t e r  D z i e d z i c
73446 Oberkochen, Germany
e-mail: [hidden email]
http://www.zeiss.de/imt

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447 Oberkochen
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Dieter Kurz
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser, Felix Hoben, Hanspeter Mürle
Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561, USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346

This message is intended for a particular addressee only and may contain business or company secrets. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message immediately. Any use of this email, including saving, publishing, copying, replication or forwarding of the message or the contents is not permitted.

Re: [vwnc] symbols of vwnt.exe

Georg Heeg

Peter,

Yes, there is. Please find below the contents of a small .bat file. I called it loadsymbols.bat.

---------------- Begin of file loadsymbols.bat ----------------------------

@echo off

IF exist "%ProgramFiles%\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)\symchk.exe" GOTO START

echo "%ProgramFiles%\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)\symchk.exe" does not exist

echo please download it from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/

goto end

:START

"%ProgramFiles%\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)\symchk.exe" *.exe /oc . /s http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/downloads/symbols

"%ProgramFiles%\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)\symchk.exe" *.dll /oc . /s http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/downloads/symbols

:end

---------------- End of file loadsymbols.bat ----------------------------

As the file itself suggests, you need to download a few files from Microsoft also.

Georg Heeg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812

Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Re: [vwnc] symbols of vwnt.exe

Alan Knight-3
Yes, you can in fact just set up your debugger so that it finds them automatically. This is Microsoft's preferred technique in more recent versions. There is a symbol server at http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/downloads/symbols

See the section on "Debugging on Windows: VW 7.7 and later" on the VM debugging page at http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/CincomSmalltalkWiki/VM+Info

This is referenced the readme.txt in the VM directory, but apparently did not make it into the release notes.

At 08:12 AM 2010-01-13, Dziedzic, Peter wrote:

[...]

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk