[vwnc] pdb-file from vw.exe

Dziedzic, Peter

Hello,

is it possible to get a pdb-File for the vw.exe? I use VW Version 7.5.
Thanks.

best regards,

Peter Dziedzic

--------------------------------------

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Meßtechnik GmbH/ Industrial Metrology
Softwareentwicklung/Software Development

P e t e r  D z i e d z i c

73446 Oberkochen, Germany
e-mail: [hidden email]
http://www.zeiss.de/imt

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447 Oberkochen
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Dieter Kurz
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser, Felix Hoben, Hanspeter Mürle
Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561, USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346

This message is intended for a particular addressee only and may contain business or company secrets. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message immediately. Any use of this email, including saving, publishing, copying, replication or forwarding of the message or the contents is not permitted.

Re: [vwnc] pdb-file from vw.exe

Ralf Propach

Dziedzic, Peter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible to get a pdb-File for the vw.exe? I use VW Version 7.5.

Hi,

for VisualWorks 7.5, I have always used vwnt.exe instead of visual.exe for debugging
because it contains all the debug infos I need, like line numbers and variable names.
For newer versions, I think you need to recompile the VM to get pdb files.

Ralf

--
Ralf Propach, [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 975 99 38   Fax: +49 231 975 99 20

[vwnc] Antwort: Re: pdb-file from vw.exe

Dziedzic, Peter

Hello,

how can i generate a pdb-File from the VW-Sources?
The VW-Sources are in Smalltalk. right?

Ist there a "how to" or a tutorial how to generate a pdb-File from the smalltalk-sources?

Thanks.

best regards,

Peter

--------------------------------------

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Meßtechnik GmbH/ Industrial Metrology
Softwareentwicklung/Software Development

P e t e r  D z i e d z i c

73446 Oberkochen, Germany
e-mail: [hidden email]
http://www.zeiss.de/imt

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447 Oberkochen
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Dieter Kurz
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser, Felix Hoben, Hanspeter Mürle
Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561, USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346

Sudhakar Krishnamachari <[hidden email]>
Gesendet von: [hidden email]

22.01.2009 15:47

An
"Dziedzic, Peter" <[hidden email]>
Kopie
[hidden email]
Thema
Re: [vwnc] pdb-file from vw.exe

p.dziedzic@...
[...]

I guess not from a MS Visual Studio perspective. Having done this before, I understand this to be a simple case of starting the project in VS and bring in the sources into the project and set the configurations in VS to compile it the manner it would expect it as can be discerned from the makefile for Windows.

From a command line perspective too, I am sure there is a simpler way to do it for those accustomed to dealing with shell compilations.

I will have to dig back and look into this.. if I can give the steps to do this effectively, but the suggestion that vwnt.exe has debug info by default is better..

regards
skrish

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Dziedzic, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Milan C(ermák
Hi Peter,
may be it'll help if you tell us, what do you want it for.
As far as I know, PDB files are PalmOS databases. It's not possible to
run VisualWorks on Palm (although the processor in latest models is
Intel XScale ARM) due to limitations of PalmOS (for example each
application is allowed to allocate only 4 MB of RAM which is too little
for VW).
Do you want to run VisualWorks on your Palm? Or do you want VisualWorks
to be able to generate/read/write PalmOS databases?

Regards,
Milan Cermak

Dziedzic, Peter napsal(a):

> Hello,
>
> how can i generate a pdb-File from the VW-Sources?
> The VW-Sources are in Smalltalk. right?
>
> Ist there a "how to" or a tutorial how to generate a pdb-File from the
> smalltalk-sources?
>
> Thanks.
>
> best regards,
>
> Peter

Re: [vwnc] Antwort: Re: pdb-file from vw.exe

Terry Raymond

Peter

how can i generate a pdb-File from the VW-Sources?
>The VW-Sources are in Smalltalk. right?

The virtual machine, visual.exe, is written C/C++. If you are referring

to the smalltalk code, debugging smalltalk code is supported by the VW

environment. If this is what you are referring to, you should contact Heeg

and take a smalltalk training session.

Terry

Terry Raymond
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Re: [vwnc] Antwort: Re: pdb-file from vw.exe

Nowak, Helge
Dear all,

a PDB file is a Program DataBase file which holds debugging and project information: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yd4f8bd1(VS.71).aspx

Whenever people have problems with, or questions about, our product you should contact Cincom. Either Cincom Support if you are a paying customers and want to report technical problems with our products. Or your Cincom representative if you have general questions, feature requests or are looking for best-in-class services, like training, consulting or custom implementation.

Cheers
Helge

Helge K. Nowak
Technical Account Manager Cincom Smalltalk
Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
Am Kronberger Hang 4
D-65824 Schwalbach/Ts.
Tel.: +49-(0)89-89664494
Mobil: +49-(0)172-7400402
Fax: +49-(0)89-89664495
Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://smalltalk.cincom.com

All about Cincom Smalltalk:
http://smalltalk.cincom.com

A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
-- Albert Einstein

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Gerald L. Shawhan
oHG mit Sitz/based in Schwalbach/Ts. (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRA 2653)
Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB 5069)

how can i generate a pdb-File from the VW-Sources?
>The VW-Sources are in Smalltalk. right?

The virtual machine, visual.exe, is written C/C++. If you are referring

to the smalltalk code, debugging smalltalk code is supported by the VW

environment. If this is what you are referring to, you should contact Heeg

and take a smalltalk training session.

Terry

Terry Raymond
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Re: [vwnc] Antwort: Re: pdb-file from vw.exe

Alan Knight-2
PDB files are Microsoft compiler specific debug information files.  We have these available for the 7.7 stream VMs. Probably the best thing to do is to contact support and get hold of the 7.6b VM which has recently been created as a patch VM release. It should run 7.5 images, might fix the problem, and if it doesn't, has the PDB files available.

At 10:23 AM 1/23/2009, Terry Raymond wrote:
Peter

> [...]

Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser, Felix Hoben, Hanspeter Mürle
Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561, USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346

This message is intended for a particular addressee only and may contain business or company secrets. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message immediately. Any use of this email, including saving, publishing, copying, replication or forwarding of the message or the contents is not permitted.

This message is intended for a particular addressee only and may contain business or company secrets. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message immediately. Any use of this email, including saving, publishing, copying, replication or forwarding of the message or the contents is not permitted.

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk