was Re: 4.01Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

was Re: 4.01Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

Ian Oldham-2
DSTPE 4.01.2, Windows 98 OSR2.

I still get the problem of a deployed app writing over the desktop even with
patch level 2. This only happens on the first attempt to write a report to
the app's window, if I minimise and then maximise the app the report is
correctly confined to the app's window, which tends to support the resource
starvation theory, I'm creating at least 3 fonts.

Going back to PL1 and trying Blair's suggested fix in the previous posts on
this subject, caused the app to always write on the desktop. i.e. minimising
and maximising the app. didn't then cause it to confine the report to the
app's window.

Bill's suggestion did however work i.e. if I set Font>>initialize to:

Font>>initialize
 "Initialise the receiver."

 super initialize.
 (logfont := LOGFONT new) lfWeight: FW_NORMAL.
 resolution := View desktop resolution.

then I don't get the problem.

--
Ian Oldham

I am addicted but I can't get the T-shirt to prove it - they've sold out

Re: was Re: 4.01Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

Blair McGlashan
Ian

The official patch to Font>>initialize should definitely fix the problem, in
fact it amounts to effectively the same thing as Bill's patch but avoids
creating a dependency on View (necessary if one wishes to use GDI objects
from a console application). With PL2 Font>>initialize should look like
this:

initialize
    "Initialise the receiver."
    super initialize.
    (logfont := LOGFONT new) lfWeight: FW_NORMAL.
    resolution := self desktopResolution.

#desktopResolution uses a lazily initialized class variable, and so will
only create one Canvas, avoiding the resource starvation issue.

Perhaps PL2 did not apply properly in your case for some reason. I would
recommend that you download a new installation that already has PL2 applied
and try that.

Regards

Blair

news:34qN6.173$[hidden email]...