watir-like web testing in squeak

ching
Hi All,

I was wondering if there is something in Squeak which does something similar to what Watir does in Ruby? Watir appears to be a cool toolkit for testing web apps and I would want to find out if something similar or better has been written in Squeak for testing purposes.

Thanks in advance,

Ching

Re: watir-like web testing in squeak

David Mitchell-10
Nothing as complete as Watir. You could just use Watir to test your seaside app.

For simple get/post action in Smalltalk, you could pull Scamper (a Squeak browser) and script it. It is fairly easy to understand/port. Bijan Parsia's networking chapter in the squeak blue book has a nice intro.

See the parsia_2.pdf at:
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/

I ported it once to VA Smalltalk in the late 90s for some internal website testing. Unfortunately, no support CSS/Javascript, etc. and you would want those for something modern.

If you really wanted Watir in Smalltalk, you could do a port. This would be a bunch of work, but since it is Ruby, the concepts should be similar. For the browser binding, you'll need something like OSProcess.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:49 AM, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I was wondering if there is something in Squeak which does something similar to what Watir does in Ruby? Watir appears to be a cool toolkit for testing web apps and I would want to find out if something similar or better has been written in Squeak for testing purposes.

Thanks in advance,

Ching

Re: watir-like web testing in squeak

Dave Bauer-3
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:27 AM, David Mitchell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nothing as complete as Watir. You could just use Watir to test your seaside
> app.
>
> For simple get/post action in Smalltalk, you could pull Scamper (a Squeak
> browser) and script it. It is fairly easy to understand/port. Bijan Parsia's
> networking chapter in the squeak blue book has a nice intro.
>
> See the parsia_2.pdf at:
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/
>
> I ported it once to VA Smalltalk in the late 90s for some internal website
> testing. Unfortunately, no support CSS/Javascript, etc. and you would want
> those for something modern.

See Selenium Remote Control http://seleniumhq.org/projects/remote-control/
It is very simple to build the server side adapter since it works by
sending HTTP requests to the Remove Control server which drives the
browser for testing. It can test IE, FF, or Safari.

Dave

> If you really wanted Watir in Smalltalk, you could do a port. This would be
> a bunch of work, but since it is Ruby, the concepts should be similar. For
> the browser binding, you'll need something like OSProcess.
>
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:49 AM, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>> I was wondering if there is something in Squeak which does something
>> similar to what Watir does in Ruby? Watir appears to be a cool toolkit for
>> testing web apps and I would want to find out if something similar or better
>> has been written in Squeak for testing purposes.
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Ching

Dave Bauer
[hidden email]
http://www.solutiongrove.com

Re: watir-like web testing in squeak

Adrian Lienhard
Yes, there is Albatross: www.squeaksource.com/Albatross.html

Cheers,
Adrian

BTW, is anybody using it?

On Oct 14, 2009, at 17:31 , Dave Bauer wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:27 AM, David Mitchell
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Nothing as complete as Watir. You could just use Watir to test your
>> seaside
>> app.
>>
>> For simple get/post action in Smalltalk, you could pull Scamper (a
>> Squeak
>> browser) and script it. It is fairly easy to understand/port. Bijan
>> Parsia's
>> networking chapter in the squeak blue book has a nice intro.
>>
>> See the parsia_2.pdf at:
>> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/
>>
>> I ported it once to VA Smalltalk in the late 90s for some internal
>> website
>> testing. Unfortunately, no support CSS/Javascript, etc. and you
>> would want
>> those for something modern.
>

> See Selenium Remote Control http://seleniumhq.org/projects/remote-control/
> It is very simple to build the server side adapter since it works by
> sending HTTP requests to the Remove Control server which drives the
> browser for testing. It can test IE, FF, or Safari.
>
> Dave
>

>> If you really wanted Watir in Smalltalk, you could do a port. This
>> would be
>> a bunch of work, but since it is Ruby, the concepts should be
>> similar. For
>> the browser binding, you'll need something like OSProcess.
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:49 AM, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]
>> >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> I was wondering if there is something in Squeak which does something
>>> similar to what Watir does in Ruby? Watir appears to be a cool
>>> toolkit for
>>> testing web apps and I would want to find out if something similar
>>> or better
>>> has been written in Squeak for testing purposes.
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Ching

> Dave Bauer
> [hidden email]
> http://www.solutiongrove.com

Re: watir-like web testing in squeak

ching

Hi All,

Thanks for the info.

Ching

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, there is Albatross: www.squeaksource.com/Albatross.html

Thanks Adrian, I will  check this out. Cheers!

Cheers,
Adrian

BTW, is anybody using it?

Thanks David.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
Nothing as complete as Watir. You could just use Watir to test your seaside
app.

For simple get/post action in Smalltalk, you could pull Scamper (a Squeak
browser) and script it. It is fairly easy to understand/port. Bijan Parsia's
networking chapter in the squeak blue book has a nice intro.

See the parsia_2.pdf at:
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/

This is a good place to start, thanks

I ported it once to VA Smalltalk in the late 90s for some internal website
testing. Unfortunately, no support CSS/Javascript, etc. and you would want
those for something modern.

See Selenium Remote Control http://seleniumhq.org/projects/remote-control/
It is very simple to build the server side adapter since it works by
sending HTTP requests to the Remove Control server which drives the
browser for testing. It can test IE, FF, or Safari.

Cool!

Dave