we are running dependencies breaking sprints....

we are running dependencies breaking sprints....

stepharo
Hi guys

just to let you know that we run a dependencies breaking sprint
yesterday and it was great.
We will redo one or two.
Our goal is to minimise the dependencies of adding Monticello to the
pharo bootstrap.
What I can tell you is that having a bootstrap is bringing an
***AMAZING*** level of cleaner design.
I suspected it. But when we see the real cases this is obvious and
really important.
I will really open a complete new world for Pharo in terms of modularity
(of course it will take time
but this is really really cool).

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: we are running dependencies breaking sprints....

Ben Coman
On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 4:50 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> just to let you know that we run a dependencies breaking sprint yesterday
> and it was great. We will redo one or two.
> Our goal is to minimise the dependencies of adding Monticello to the pharo
> bootstrap. What I can tell you is that having a bootstrap is bringing
> an ***AMAZING*** level of cleaner design. I suspected it. But when we
> see the real cases this is obvious and really important.
> I will really open a complete new world for Pharo in terms of modularity (of
> course it will take time but this is really really cool).
>
> Stef

Sounds like food for an academic paper - addressing one of the key
complaints from detractors about Smalltalk. While you want to position
Pharo as going beyond Smalltalk, reproducibility of an Image remains
an argument available to detractors.

cheers -ben

Re: we are running dependencies breaking sprints....

philippeback

Boostrapping is removing a ton of black magic indeed.

There will be not one Pharo but the Pharo one needs for a given purpose.

That's awesome.

Phil

Le 15 août 2015 10:50, "stepharo" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi guys

just to let you know that we run a dependencies breaking sprint yesterday and it was great.
We will redo one or two.
Our goal is to minimise the dependencies of adding Monticello to the pharo bootstrap.
What I can tell you is that having a bootstrap is bringing an ***AMAZING*** level of cleaner design.
I suspected it. But when we see the real cases this is obvious and really important.
I will really open a complete new world for Pharo in terms of modularity (of course it will take time
but this is really really cool).

Re: we are running dependencies breaking sprints....

Thierry Goubier
Le 15/08/2015 10:50, stepharo a écrit :

> Hi guys
>
> just to let you know that we run a dependencies breaking sprint
> yesterday and it was great.
> We will redo one or two.
> Our goal is to minimise the dependencies of adding Monticello to the
> pharo bootstrap.
> What I can tell you is that having a bootstrap is bringing an
> ***AMAZING*** level of cleaner design.
> I suspected it. But when we see the real cases this is obvious and
> really important.
> I will really open a complete new world for Pharo in terms of modularity
> (of course it will take time
> but this is really really cool).

Yes!

Thierry

> Stef

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: we are running dependencies breaking sprints....

abergel
Yes! Thanks!
This is valuable

Alexandre

Le 15 août 2015 à 05:53, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> a écrit :

This is exciting. Thanks a lot for this effort!

Doru

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 10:50 AM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys

just to let you know that we run a dependencies breaking sprint yesterday and it was great.
We will redo one or two.
Our goal is to minimise the dependencies of adding Monticello to the pharo bootstrap.
What I can tell you is that having a bootstrap is bringing an ***AMAZING*** level of cleaner design.
I suspected it. But when we see the real cases this is obvious and really important.
I will really open a complete new world for Pharo in terms of modularity (of course it will take time
but this is really really cool).

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: we are running dependencies breaking sprints....

CyrilFerlicot
Le 15/08/2015 16:47, [hidden email] a écrit :
> what's a tahe?

I think he wanted to say "tag". On Fogbugz you have a category "Pharo
Bootstrap".

> Le 15 août 2015 15:49, "stepharo" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>     I forgot to mention that people can help since we added a tahe
>     pharo-bootstrap.
>
>     Stef

Cyril

Re: we are running dependencies breaking sprints....

stepharo
This is easy we are looking at dependencies using the dependency analyzer (available in the catalog)
and looking at how to reduce dependencies. Often it is creating a separate package, providing an extension hook...
Guille and Christophe started to add fogbugz entries for a first set of problems.

Stef