we will start 1.3 really soon

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

there are some minors fixes to be addressed (like the preferences use in dev) but we will go 1.3 probably this evening and
we will start to harvest a large list of pending issues. If you have seen fixes in squeak that you think are good please add a bug entry.
After that we will plan for the big changes in 1.3 for me
        I would like to see
                - collection enh (finishing hashed collection)
                - weak structure support
                - announcement using weak structure
                - file system use
                - new package implementation (cyrille worked and will continue to really make sure everything works)
                - real beta of OPAL
The goal is to have a release for 1.3 by June/July.

Re: we will start 1.3 really soon

Adrian Lienhard
Cool :)

BTW, I have a question related to 1.2 from a user's perspective: could we generate a summary to help people migrate from 1.1.1 to 1.2? In particular, the question is which changes in 1.2 are not backwards compatible and may break my code? I've been a bit out of the loop during the last months... so at least for me this is not obvious ;). There's http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ActionsInPharoOneDotTwo but it doesn't tell the important bits.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jan 15, 2011, at 09:27 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> there are some minors fixes to be addressed (like the preferences use in dev) but we will go 1.3 probably this evening and
> we will start to harvest a large list of pending issues. If you have seen fixes in squeak that you think are good please add a bug entry.
> After that we will plan for the big changes in 1.3 for me
> I would like to see
> - collection enh (finishing hashed collection)
> - weak structure support
> - announcement using weak structure
> - file system use
> - new package implementation (cyrille worked and will continue to really make sure everything works)
> - real beta of OPAL
> The goal is to have a release for 1.3 by June/July.
>
> Stef

Re: we will start 1.3 really soon

Janko Mivšek
Stef, you again forgot namespaces ... ;)

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

On Jan 15, 2011, at 9:57 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Cool :)
>
> BTW, I have a question related to 1.2 from a user's perspective: could we generate a summary to help people migrate from 1.1.1 to 1.2? In particular, the question is which changes in 1.2 are not backwards compatible and may break my code? I've been a bit out of the loop during the last months... so at least for me this is not obvious ;). There's http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ActionsInPharoOneDotTwo but it doesn't tell the important bits.

going over the issues tagged 1.2 and generate a report will take me at least a couple of hours.... so
I'm not sure that I have the time to do it. Now if someone starts I can help improving the results.
We can also take all the comments in the scriptloader methods.