web backend support

Alex Schenkman
Hi Cuis list:

What packages are available and working for building a web backend in Cuis?
I'm interested in some kind of REST-like backend, not in producing HTML on the server.

I see the following relevant packages, mostly on garduino's repository:
WebClient, Swazoo, KomHttpServer and Zinc.

What is the status of these ports?
Any other Smalltalk package you would recommend me to look at (ported or not)?

Thanks in advance!

Re: web backend support

garduino
Hi Alex:

Most of these packages are work in progress and, unfortunately, I do not had much free time to spend on they in the last months.

An approximate status of each one in Cuis 4.2:

WebClient: The server part is not working well, seems that is not trivial to found the differences to make it work smoothly in Cuis. The client part works ok.

Swazoo: I was just doing some adaptations some weeks ago for make it work with latest version of Cuis, but I've not published it because a problem with more (new) differences that I need to figure out how to solve.

Kom: I have not touched it in years and was a first try port, I mean that was not completely working in such time and, of course, I not tried with latest Cuis versions.

Zinc: Was also a first try, but at this moment  I think that such port is not possible (not to me alone, at least). As several other Pharo packages is strongly tied to Pharo architecture and is very difficult to port. And, after ported, is hard to maintain updated with the modifications that suffer an actively maintained framework as Zinc. It would require a time and dedication that I can't do at this moment.

HTH.

Cheers.

Hi Cuis list:

What packages are available and working for building a web backend in Cuis?
I'm interested in some kind of REST-like backend, not in producing HTML on the server.

I see the following relevant packages, mostly on garduino's repository:
WebClient, Swazoo, KomHttpServer and Zinc.

What is the status of these ports?
Any other Smalltalk package you would recommend me to look at (ported or not)?

Thanks in advance!

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com