web visibility

Nicholas Moore
I have created a really nice web site using Aida, which works elegantly.
However I am really frustrated because, although I can view it locally,
I can not get a response either across my intranet or the internet
(Firefox tells me 'unable to connect').

I have checked all the obvious things like firewall and port settings.
If I start Apache or WikiWorks they are all visible and behave normally,
so it must be something to do with how I have configured my Aida site
(localhost, 127.0.0.1)

Any suggestions will be much appreciated,
regards
Nicholas

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

web visibility

Janko Mivšek
Hi Nicholas,

Now we need to help you really fast to see that site :)

You need to change IP for that site from 'localhost' to IP of your PC.
Localhost is a local IP, visible only from your PC and not wider. Just do:

1. with ipconfig (Win) or ifconfig (Linux) find an IP of your PC. It
must be public to be visible from internet (not 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x)

2. SwazooServer stop.
3. (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') ip: '232.14.23.45'  "ip is an example"
4. SwazooServer start

You can also try to use '*' for IP, which should cause Aida to listen on
all IP interfaces.

I hope this help a bit. I really want to see your site :)

Best regards
JAnko

Nicholas Moore wrote:

> I have created a really nice web site using Aida, which works elegantly.
> However I am really frustrated because, although I can view it locally,
> I can not get a response either across my intranet or the internet
> (Firefox tells me 'unable to connect').
>
> I have checked all the obvious things like firewall and port settings.
> If I start Apache or WikiWorks they are all visible and behave normally,
> so it must be something to do with how I have configured my Aida site
> (localhost, 127.0.0.1)
>
> Any suggestions will be much appreciated,
> regards
> Nicholas

Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

web visibility

Nicholas Moore
Thanks Janko,
I will check it out on my Intranet and then if successful migrate to my
fixed ip address. I will let you know how it progresses.
Nicholas

Janko Miv?ek wrote:

> Hi Nicholas,
>
> Now we need to help you really fast to see that site :)
>
> You need to change IP for that site from 'localhost' to IP of your PC.
> Localhost is a local IP, visible only from your PC and not wider. Just do:
>
> 1. with ipconfig (Win) or ifconfig (Linux) find an IP of your PC. It
> must be public to be visible from internet (not 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x)
>
> 2. SwazooServer stop.
> 3. (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') ip: '232.14.23.45'  "ip is an example"
> 4. SwazooServer start
>
> You can also try to use '*' for IP, which should cause Aida to listen on
> all IP interfaces.
>
> I hope this help a bit. I really want to see your site :)
>
> Best regards
> JAnko
>

> Nicholas Moore wrote:
>
>> I have created a really nice web site using Aida, which works elegantly.
>> However I am really frustrated because, although I can view it locally,
>> I can not get a response either across my intranet or the internet
>> (Firefox tells me 'unable to connect').
>>
>> I have checked all the obvious things like firewall and port settings.
>> If I start Apache or WikiWorks they are all visible and behave normally,
>> so it must be something to do with how I have configured my Aida site
>> (localhost, 127.0.0.1)
>>
>> Any suggestions will be much appreciated,
>> regards
>> Nicholas

*Nicholas J Moore*
+44 7786 063 333
+33 555 092 140
+33 682 904 357
*TSR International
*Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity
www.TSR-i.com

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

web visibility

Nicholas Moore
Hi Janko,

I have good and bad progress:
Good, my intranet (192.168. etc) works great.

Bad, I am having problems with the web. Using my fixed ip address
(217.128.227.203) as you suggested, I get an error when I do AIDASite start.

It fails in the following method:
    Swazoo.SwazooSocket class >> serverOnIP: anIPString port: anInteger

This method fails when executing:

    address := IPSocketAddress hostAddress: (self ipAddressFor:
anIPString)  port: anInteger.
        [socket bindTo: address]
            ifCurtailed: [socket close. Transcript cr; show: 'http
server: socket creation failed'].

The problem seems to be with my fixed ip address, which is supplied by
Wanadoo (Orange) and looks like this during the above method:
IPSocketAddress(port#57579
at:LAubervilliers-153-53-40-203.w217-128.abo.wanadoo.fr)

If I set up my firewall to pass any requests for the specified port
number to my local address (192.168.0.12) then I get an 'Error 404 not
found' from the Swazoo web server. I guess this is a good sign, at least
my image is being touched, but I am not sure how to solve this, and any
help would be appreciated.

Nicholas

-

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

web visibility

Janko Mivšek
Hi Nicholas,

It seems that you are close! You need to setup a hostname of Aida
website too (sorry to forgot that previously).

        (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') host: 'aida.tsr-i.com'

Of course you need to add entry to your DNS first. If you cannot do
that, I can put in my DNS for you something like that:

        nicholas.eranova.si. A 217.128.227.203

I hope this helps
Janko

Nicholas Moore wrote:

> Hi Janko,
>
> I have good and bad progress:
> Good, my intranet (192.168. etc) works great.
>
> Bad, I am having problems with the web. Using my fixed ip address
> (217.128.227.203) as you suggested, I get an error when I do AIDASite start.
>
> It fails in the following method:
>     Swazoo.SwazooSocket class >> serverOnIP: anIPString port: anInteger
>
> This method fails when executing:
>
>     address := IPSocketAddress hostAddress: (self ipAddressFor:
> anIPString)  port: anInteger.
>         [socket bindTo: address]
>             ifCurtailed: [socket close. Transcript cr; show: 'http
> server: socket creation failed'].
>
> The problem seems to be with my fixed ip address, which is supplied by
> Wanadoo (Orange) and looks like this during the above method:
> IPSocketAddress(port#57579
> at:LAubervilliers-153-53-40-203.w217-128.abo.wanadoo.fr)
>
> If I set up my firewall to pass any requests for the specified port
> number to my local address (192.168.0.12) then I get an 'Error 404 not
> found' from the Swazoo web server. I guess this is a good sign, at least
> my image is being touched, but I am not sure how to solve this, and any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Nicholas
>

> Janko Miv?ek wrote:
>> Hi Nicholas,
>>
>> Now we need to help you really fast to see that site :)
>>
>> You need to change IP for that site from 'localhost' to IP of your PC.
>> Localhost is a local IP, visible only from your PC and not wider. Just do:
>>
>> 1. with ipconfig (Win) or ifconfig (Linux) find an IP of your PC. It
>> must be public to be visible from internet (not 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x)
>>
>> 2. SwazooServer stop.
>> 3. (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') ip: '232.14.23.45'  "ip is an example"
>> 4. SwazooServer start
>>
>> You can also try to use '*' for IP, which should cause Aida to listen on
>> all IP interfaces.
>>
>> I hope this help a bit. I really want to see your site :)
>>
>> Best regards
>> JAnko
>>

>> Nicholas Moore wrote:
>>
>>> I have created a really nice web site using Aida, which works elegantly.
>>> However I am really frustrated because, although I can view it locally,
>>> I can not get a response either across my intranet or the internet
>>> (Firefox tells me 'unable to connect').
>>>
>>> I have checked all the obvious things like firewall and port settings.
>>> If I start Apache or WikiWorks they are all visible and behave normally,
>>> so it must be something to do with how I have configured my Aida site
>>> (localhost, 127.0.0.1)
>>>
>>> Any suggestions will be much appreciated,
>>> regards
>>> Nicholas

> -

Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

web visibility

Janko Mivšek
Nicholas,

Also use your internal address (192.168.0.12) for Aida, because this is
an IP on your PC and you did a port forwarding on firewall to it anyway.

Janko

Nicholas Moore wrote:

> Hi Janko,
>
> I have good and bad progress:
> Good, my intranet (192.168. etc) works great.
>
> Bad, I am having problems with the web. Using my fixed ip address
> (217.128.227.203) as you suggested, I get an error when I do AIDASite start.
>
> It fails in the following method:
>     Swazoo.SwazooSocket class >> serverOnIP: anIPString port: anInteger
>
> This method fails when executing:
>
>     address := IPSocketAddress hostAddress: (self ipAddressFor:
> anIPString)  port: anInteger.
>         [socket bindTo: address]
>             ifCurtailed: [socket close. Transcript cr; show: 'http
> server: socket creation failed'].
>
> The problem seems to be with my fixed ip address, which is supplied by
> Wanadoo (Orange) and looks like this during the above method:
> IPSocketAddress(port#57579
> at:LAubervilliers-153-53-40-203.w217-128.abo.wanadoo.fr)
>
> If I set up my firewall to pass any requests for the specified port
> number to my local address (192.168.0.12) then I get an 'Error 404 not
> found' from the Swazoo web server. I guess this is a good sign, at least
> my image is being touched, but I am not sure how to solve this, and any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Nicholas
>

> Janko Miv?ek wrote:
>> Hi Nicholas,
>>
>> Now we need to help you really fast to see that site :)
>>
>> You need to change IP for that site from 'localhost' to IP of your PC.
>> Localhost is a local IP, visible only from your PC and not wider. Just do:
>>
>> 1. with ipconfig (Win) or ifconfig (Linux) find an IP of your PC. It
>> must be public to be visible from internet (not 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x)
>>
>> 2. SwazooServer stop.
>> 3. (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') ip: '232.14.23.45'  "ip is an example"
>> 4. SwazooServer start
>>
>> You can also try to use '*' for IP, which should cause Aida to listen on
>> all IP interfaces.
>>
>> I hope this help a bit. I really want to see your site :)
>>
>> Best regards
>> JAnko
>>

>> Nicholas Moore wrote:
>>
>>> I have created a really nice web site using Aida, which works elegantly.
>>> However I am really frustrated because, although I can view it locally,
>>> I can not get a response either across my intranet or the internet
>>> (Firefox tells me 'unable to connect').
>>>
>>> I have checked all the obvious things like firewall and port settings.
>>> If I start Apache or WikiWorks they are all visible and behave normally,
>>> so it must be something to do with how I have configured my Aida site
>>> (localhost, 127.0.0.1)
>>>
>>> Any suggestions will be much appreciated,
>>> regards
>>> Nicholas

> -

Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

web visibility

Nicholas Moore
Yippee!!
check out;
www.c4cnc.org:57579

username and password: 'test3'

Be gentle!, there is still lots to do. Thanks very much for your prompt
help,
Nicholas

Janko Miv?ek wrote:

> Nicholas,
>
> Also use your internal address (192.168.0.12) for Aida, because this is
> an IP on your PC and you did a port forwarding on firewall to it anyway.
>
> Janko
>
> Nicholas Moore wrote:
>
>> Hi Janko,
>>
>> I have good and bad progress:
>> Good, my intranet (192.168. etc) works great.
>>
>> Bad, I am having problems with the web. Using my fixed ip address
>> (217.128.227.203) as you suggested, I get an error when I do AIDASite start.
>>
>> It fails in the following method:
>>     Swazoo.SwazooSocket class >> serverOnIP: anIPString port: anInteger
>>
>> This method fails when executing:
>>
>>     address := IPSocketAddress hostAddress: (self ipAddressFor:
>> anIPString)  port: anInteger.
>>         [socket bindTo: address]
>>             ifCurtailed: [socket close. Transcript cr; show: 'http
>> server: socket creation failed'].
>>
>> The problem seems to be with my fixed ip address, which is supplied by
>> Wanadoo (Orange) and looks like this during the above method:
>> IPSocketAddress(port#57579
>> at:LAubervilliers-153-53-40-203.w217-128.abo.wanadoo.fr)
>>
>> If I set up my firewall to pass any requests for the specified port
>> number to my local address (192.168.0.12) then I get an 'Error 404 not
>> found' from the Swazoo web server. I guess this is a good sign, at least
>> my image is being touched, but I am not sure how to solve this, and any
>> help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Nicholas
>>

>> Janko Miv?ek wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Nicholas,
>>>
>>> Now we need to help you really fast to see that site :)
>>>
>>> You need to change IP for that site from 'localhost' to IP of your PC.
>>> Localhost is a local IP, visible only from your PC and not wider. Just do:
>>>
>>> 1. with ipconfig (Win) or ifconfig (Linux) find an IP of your PC. It
>>> must be public to be visible from internet (not 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x)
>>>
>>> 2. SwazooServer stop.
>>> 3. (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') ip: '232.14.23.45'  "ip is an example"
>>> 4. SwazooServer start
>>>
>>> You can also try to use '*' for IP, which should cause Aida to listen on
>>> all IP interfaces.
>>>
>>> I hope this help a bit. I really want to see your site :)
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> JAnko

>> -

*Nicholas J Moore*
+44 7786 063 333
+33 555 092 140
+33 682 904 357
*TSR International
*Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity
www.TSR-i.com

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

web visibility

Janko Mivšek
Nicholas congratulations!
I just checked your site and looks promising! Is this already some real
project or you just experimenting?

Best regards
Janko

Nicholas Moore wrote:

> Yippee!!
> check out;
> www.c4cnc.org:57579
>
> username and password: 'test3'
>
> Be gentle!, there is still lots to do. Thanks very much for your prompt
> help,
> Nicholas
>

> Janko Miv?ek wrote:
>> Nicholas,
>>
>> Also use your internal address (192.168.0.12) for Aida, because this is
>> an IP on your PC and you did a port forwarding on firewall to it anyway.
>>
>> Janko
>>
>> Nicholas Moore wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Janko,
>>>
>>> I have good and bad progress:
>>> Good, my intranet (192.168. etc) works great.
>>>
>>> Bad, I am having problems with the web. Using my fixed ip address
>>> (217.128.227.203) as you suggested, I get an error when I do AIDASite start.
>>>
>>> It fails in the following method:
>>>     Swazoo.SwazooSocket class >> serverOnIP: anIPString port: anInteger
>>>
>>> This method fails when executing:
>>>
>>>     address := IPSocketAddress hostAddress: (self ipAddressFor:
>>> anIPString)  port: anInteger.
>>>         [socket bindTo: address]
>>>             ifCurtailed: [socket close. Transcript cr; show: 'http
>>> server: socket creation failed'].
>>>
>>> The problem seems to be with my fixed ip address, which is supplied by
>>> Wanadoo (Orange) and looks like this during the above method:
>>> IPSocketAddress(port#57579
>>> at:LAubervilliers-153-53-40-203.w217-128.abo.wanadoo.fr)
>>>
>>> If I set up my firewall to pass any requests for the specified port
>>> number to my local address (192.168.0.12) then I get an 'Error 404 not
>>> found' from the Swazoo web server. I guess this is a good sign, at least
>>> my image is being touched, but I am not sure how to solve this, and any
>>> help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Nicholas

>>> -

> *Nicholas J Moore*
> +44 7786 063 333
> +33 555 092 140
> +33 682 904 357
> *TSR International
> *Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity
> www.TSR-i.com

Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

web visibility

Nicholas Moore
Thanks,

The centre for Communication & Complexity has been around in one form or
another for 30 years. The web site is a new development to promote the
idea of communication in a complex century and to encourage individual
contribution of ideas and experience. Hence the tabs for news, blog and
wiki which will allow a wide input.

That's the idea anyway, and as far as the site goes, this is a big step,
but there is still a long journey!

Regards

Nicholas

Janko Miv?ek wrote:

> Nicholas congratulations!
> I just checked your site and looks promising! Is this already some real
> project or you just experimenting?
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> Nicholas Moore wrote:
>
>> Yippee!!
>> check out;
>> www.c4cnc.org:57579
>>
>> username and password: 'test3'
>>
>> Be gentle!, there is still lots to do. Thanks very much for your prompt
>> help,
>> Nicholas
>>

>> Janko Miv?ek wrote:
>>
>>> Nicholas,
>>>
>>> Also use your internal address (192.168.0.12) for Aida, because this is
>>> an IP on your PC and you did a port forwarding on firewall to it anyway.
>>>
>>> Janko

>> --
>>
>> *Nicholas J Moore*
>> +44 7786 063 333
>> +33 555 092 140
>> +33 682 904 357
>> *TSR International
>> *Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity
>> www.TSR-i.com

*Nicholas J Moore*
+44 7786 063 333
+33 555 092 140
+33 682 904 357
*TSR International
*Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity
www.TSR-i.com

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

web visibility

Janko Mivšek
Nicholas,

I wish you good luck by your site! You already shown that you'll manage
  to make it.

Best regards
Janko

Nicholas Moore wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> The centre for Communication & Complexity has been around in one form or
> another for 30 years. The web site is a new development to promote the
> idea of communication in a complex century and to encourage individual
> contribution of ideas and experience. Hence the tabs for news, blog and
> wiki which will allow a wide input.
>
> That's the idea anyway, and as far as the site goes, this is a big step,
> but there is still a long journey!
>
> Regards
>
> Nicholas
>

> Janko Miv?ek wrote:
>> Nicholas congratulations!
>> I just checked your site and looks promising! Is this already some real
>> project or you just experimenting?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Janko
>>
>> Nicholas Moore wrote:
>>
>>> Yippee!!
>>> check out;
>>> www.c4cnc.org:57579
>>>
>>> username and password: 'test3'
>>>
>>> Be gentle!, there is still lots to do. Thanks very much for your prompt
>>> help,
>>> Nicholas

>>> --
>>>
>>> *Nicholas J Moore*
>>> +44 7786 063 333
>>> +33 555 092 140
>>> +33 682 904 357
>>> *TSR International
>>> *Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity
>>> www.TSR-i.com

> *Nicholas J Moore*
> +44 7786 063 333
> +33 555 092 140
> +33 682 904 357
> *TSR International
> *Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity
> www.TSR-i.com

Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

web visibility

Stefan Schmiedl
Once upon a time in thread far, far away:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:21:46 +0200
Janko Miv?ek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:

> 1. with ipconfig (Win) or ifconfig (Linux) find an IP of your PC. It
> must be public to be visible from internet (not 192.168.x.x or
> 10.x.x.x)

This is one of the disturbing elements of web applications: They tend
to hog IP-adresses and domain names, which makes it hard to add a web
app to an existing (static) site.

So let's go fix that with some apache-fu and (extra credit) ssh-fu!
You need to modify the apache configuration and /etc/hosts on your
webserver, so the procedure is probably not for the faint of heart.

1. Tweak your local hosts file for local name resolution
   /etc/hosts on linux
   %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on win
   Add the following line:
    127.0.0.1 mysite.local

2. ping mysite.local
   should show responses from 127.0.0.1 now.

3. Configure your AIDA site accordingly
    site := AIDASite named: 'mysite.local'.
    site host: 'mysite.local' ip: 'mysite.local' port: 8000

4. http://mysite.local:8000
   should show your AIDA site

Now you have an AIDA site running not only on a non-public subnet, but
on an IP-address that's only reachable from within the box itself.

Walk over to your server for the following steps:

5. Tweak your server's hosts file as above.
   /etc/hosts needs to resolve mysite.local to the same address as above
    127.0.0.1 mysite.local

6. Make the public apache a proxy for your AIDA site
   in your public (virtual) host section add the lines
    ProxyRequests Off
    ProxyPreserveHost Off
    ProxyPass / http://mysite.local:8000/
    ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain mysite.local mysite.public
    ProxyHTMLURLMap http://mysite.local:8000/ /
    <Location />
       ProxyPassReverse /
       SetOutputFilter INFLATE;proxy-html;DEFLATE
       ProxyHTMLURLMap / /
    </Location>
   If you want detailed descriptions what these lines do, please go
   visit the documentation at http://httpd.apache.org and especially
   the tutorial at http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies

Now you have the following setup: Incoming requests to
http://mysite.public are forwarded to http://mysite.local:8000,
which resolves to 127.0.0.1, port 8000 *on the public server*.
On the other hand, you have a perfectly working AIDA site listening
on 127.0.0.1:8000 on your *local machine*.

7. What you now need is a tube between those two.
   linux:  ssh -g -R 8000:127.0.0.1:8000 user at mysite.public
   win:    plink -ssh -R 8000:127.0.0.1:8000 user at mysite.public
   (plink is part of the highly recommended putty suite)

This step opens a listening port 127.0.0.1:8000 on mysite.public, whose
other end is aiming to a listening port 127.0.0.1:8000 on your local
machine.

If I did not forget anything, you should now be able to call
  http://mysite.public
   which apache forwards to 127.0.0.1:8000
    which ssh tunnels to your local computer, port 8000
     where AIDA provides a response,
    which tunnels back to the public machine
   where internal links get cleaned up
and get a perfectly working AIDA site.

And what's all that good for? Your web app never leaves the environment
it has grown up in, it is always running on 127.0.0.1, port 8000. Which
makes for easy deployment. And by adjusting the path parameters in the
apache configuration, you can selectively proxy only certain directories
instead of the whole site. You might even want to read up on
mod_rewrite and use apache to proxy only those requests to your site
which need to be handled dynamically.

If somebody out there is crazy enough to actually try this, let me know
if it worked.

s.

web visibility

Damir Horvat
On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 01:12:36AM +0200, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> If I did not forget anything, you should now be able to call
>   http://mysite.public
>    which apache forwards to 127.0.0.1:8000
>     which ssh tunnels to your local computer, port 8000
>      where AIDA provides a response,
>     which tunnels back to the public machine
>    where internal links get cleaned up
> and get a perfectly working AIDA site.
>
> And what's all that good for? Your web app never leaves the environment
> it has grown up in, it is always running on 127.0.0.1, port 8000. Which
> makes for easy deployment. And by adjusting the path parameters in the
> apache configuration, you can selectively proxy only certain directories
> instead of the whole site. You might even want to read up on
> mod_rewrite and use apache to proxy only those requests to your site
> which need to be handled dynamically.
>
> If somebody out there is crazy enough to actually try this, let me know
> if it worked.

This is actualy quite common solution. Except for the ssh part, as
heavy-duty servers (Apache's mod_perl, mod_lisp, Aida/Web, ...) are
usualy in local (trusted) network so ssh tunneling is not needed.

It gets interesting when one apache proxy isn't enough anymore... ;)

Regards,
Damir

Static pages and templating (was web visibility)

Janko Mivšek
Hi Stefan,

Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> This is one of the disturbing elements of web applications: They tend
> to hog IP-adresses and domain names, which makes it hard to add a web
> app to an existing (static) site.

That raises an interesting question: is static web site really so
different from dynamic part (web applications) that needs to be
separated. I think they shall be integrated as much as possible. That
way we can exploit many synergies and opportunities ...

As you probably know Aida can serve also static pages and it can use
even templating. You can include an AIDA tag into your static web page
and this tag will be replaced with dynamically produced html content.

For fictive example to add a hit counter on your static web page:

        <AIDA WebCounter current>

That is part of FileProxy and is there named as 'servlet'. Not the best
name and if we would awake templating, we should rename it.

But I admit that I didn't use templating for a while and I'm not sure if
it works in current Aida. But if anyone is interested, we can put it
back fast.

Best regards
Janko

http://www.aidaweb.si

Static pages and templating (was web visibility)

Stefan Schmiedl
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 14:31:29 +0200
Janko Miv?ek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:

> Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
>
> > This is one of the disturbing elements of web applications: They
> > tend to hog IP-adresses and domain names, which makes it hard to
> > add a web app to an existing (static) site.
>
> That raises an interesting question: is static web site really so
> different from dynamic part (web applications) that needs to be
> separated. I think they shall be integrated as much as possible. That
> way we can exploit many synergies and opportunities ...

You're definitely right here, but it's a question of what was there
first. The site where I'm adding a tiny bit of dynamism has been
generated by a home-grown script with some additions made by using the
available pages as templates. It makes heavy use of server-side
includes, which tie this site quite closely to apache.

I totally agree that this site would be handled differently were it
being done today, but it was made a few years ago and there is no
real reason to change the general information available there. So I
have to treat the static part as, well, static and should not touch it.

> As you probably know Aida can serve also static pages and it can use
> even templating. You can include an AIDA tag into your static web
> page and this tag will be replaced with dynamically produced html
> content.

That's actually news to me.

> For fictive example to add a hit counter on your static web page:
>
> <AIDA WebCounter current>

ho hum... This is interesting, since in this case the changes to the
original source might be a relatively simple transformation, which
could be done in a few hours. And if I understand you correctly, then
the complete site would be handled by AIDA/Swazoo/Smalltalk.

> That is part of FileProxy and is there named as 'servlet'. Not the
> best name and if we would awake templating, we should rename it.

... and provide a short and simple how-to example on how to use this.

> But I admit that I didn't use templating for a while and I'm not sure
> if it works in current Aida. But if anyone is interested, we can put
> it back fast.

It's not a priority for me right now, it's just a nice thing to have
when a prospective client is worried about migrating the current site.

Thanks,
s.

web visibility

davec
Nicholas,

Nice site. Didn't need to log in to see it. I've just started to use
AIDA in evaluation for an intra/extra and possibly public web site. I
would be very interested to hear how you implemented the Wiki/Forum/News
sections. Was it difficult? Is there any built in support in AIDA for those?

Also, the side bar has an admin login link. Is there a way of hiding
that? How does one override the base AIDA page that appears if you
follow the tutorial.

Sorry for all the questions. Any tips gratefully received. Thanks.
--
Dave Cope, Biodiversity Technology Officer.

Biodiversity Information Service
for Powys and Brecon Beacons National Park,
1st Floor Offices,
7 Wheat Street, Brecon, Powys, LD3 7DG

Email: dave at b-i-s.org

Tele: 01874-610881
Fax:  01874-624812

Web: http://www.b-i-s.org

web visibility

Nicholas Moore
Dave,
Thanks. The Forum and News are easy. The Forum is simply the Discussions
App rebadged. I have subclassed WebStyle as Janko recommends and then
the viewMain for each app begins, for example:

e := WebElement new.
self session parent site style
headerAddTabs: e
selected: 3
label: 'Forum'.

this calls:

C4cncWebStyle >>headerAddTabs: anElement selected: aNumber label: aLabel
| anE newOC |
newOC := OrderedCollection new.
anE := WebElement new addText: aLabel attributes: #bold.
newOC add: anE.
anElement add: ((WebTabs new)
addLinkTo: './centre.html' text: 'Home';
addLinkTo: './wiki.html' text: 'Wiki';
addLinkTo: './discussions.html' text: 'Forum';
addLinkTo: './news.html' text: 'News';
addLinkTo: './search.html' text: 'Search';
selected: aNumber).
(anElement elements first elements at: aNumber) initElements elements
add: anE.
anElement addNbSp.
^anElement

headerAddTabs: anElement selected: aNumber label: aLabel
| anE newOC |
newOC := OrderedCollection new.
anE := WebElement new addText: aLabel attributes: #bold.
newOC add: anE.
anElement add: ((WebTabs new)
addLinkTo: './centre.html' text: 'Home';
addLinkTo: './wiki.html' text: 'Wiki';
addLinkTo: './discussions.html' text: 'Forum';
addLinkTo: './news.html' text: 'News';
addLinkTo: './search.html' text: 'Search';
selected: aNumber).
(anElement elements first elements at: aNumber) initElements elements
add: anE.
anElement addNbSp.
^anElement

The Wiki is a Kludge because I wanted to get the concept going quickly
to show colleagues (quelle surprise!!) and have not yet had time to work
on the Wiki capacities offered by AIDA. I have loaded the standard VW
WikiWorks parcel and have that running in the same image. I have created
a 'Wiki' object and a 'WikiApp' as usual, but the only thing the WikiApp
viewMain does to redirect the browser like this:

viewMain
| e |
self title: 'Spectral Wiki'.
e := WebElement new.
self session parent site style
headerAddTabs: e
selected: 2
label: 'Wiki'.
e add: ((WebIFrame new)
src: 'http://www.c4cnc.org:57575/The+Spectral+Resource+Wiki';
frameBorder: 0;
size: 650 @ 700).
self pageFrameWith: e title: self title

This is neither terribly robust nor very elegant, but it is functional.
WikiWorks is a sort of halfway house between static pages and AIDA. I
much prefer the AIDA approach and at some point would like to develop
the AIDA wiki app further.

An important method is: WebStyle >> pageFrameWith: aWebElement wide:
aWideElement title: aTitleString
This sets your basic page layout - calling in the header and navigation
bars for top and left side. Each of your application page methods (like
viewMain) create a WebElement according to what you want them to
display. They then call the above method, passing their element as
aWideElement. At which point your page is ready to go.

About the admin login, check out WebStyle >> navBarLogin or WebAdminApp
>> viewLogin for some ideas. In general you can tinker around with the
WebStyle >> navigationBarElement to determine what is or is not visible
in the navigationBar.

Hope this helps, I am working on a personal web site (where I can rant
in a blog!) and have incorporated some of Janko's Ajax stuff. Looks
really good. I am now a big fan of AIDA and highly recommend it.

Regards

Nicholas