weird image state

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    my image has got into that weird state where clicking on a window not at the front causes slow redraws of the restacked windows, I suspect because the execution simulator (a.k.a. the debugger) is running the drawing code.  If anyone recognises this state do they also know how to get out of it?

--
best,
Eliot

Re: weird image state

Chris Muller-3
I have definitely encountered that before in some of my images.
Unfortunately I don't know for sure what caused it nor how to fix it.
It MIGHT have been related to hitting the break key more than once too
quickly, but I could be totally wrong about that.  I think I ended up
restoring from a backup image or... in one case I may have closed down
most or all windows and it eventually went away..??  Sorry, I'm not
sure.  The only thing I'm sure of is I've had the problem a couple of
times earlier this year..

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     my image has got into that weird state where clicking on a window not at
> the front causes slow redraws of the restacked windows, I suspect because
> the execution simulator (a.k.a. the debugger) is running the drawing code.
> If anyone recognises this state do they also know how to get out of it?
>
> --
> best,
> Eliot

re: weird image state

ccrraaiigg

Hi Eliot--

> my image has got into that weird state where clicking on a window
> not at the front causes slow redraws of the restacked windows, I
> suspect because the execution simulator (a.k.a. the debugger) is
> running the drawing code.  If anyone recognises this state do they
> also know how to get out of it?

     I can get out of it by starting a new UI process, by halting with
meta-period.

     FYI, I can get into it by forcing a "syntax error" window (e.g., by
adding an instance variable to a class which already uses the instance
variable name as a temporary variable), editing the offending method to
get rid of the error, and continuing.

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

Re: weird image state

Ken G. Brown
I am seeing slow redraws of the open windows during install of Connectors into a fresh Squeak4.5-13680 running on Cog 3164 on Mac OS X 10.10.1.

The whole set of windows seem to very slowly repaint a few times when at certain stages of the install:

(Installer repository: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/')
    project: 'Connectors';
    install: 'FSM';
    install: 'BroomMorphs-Base';
    install: 'BroomMorphs-Connectors';
    install: 'CGPrereqs';
    install: 'Connectors';
    install: 'ConnectorsText';
    install: 'ConnectorsShapes';
    install: 'ConnectorsTools';
    install: 'ConnectorsBasicDistro';
    install: 'ConnectorsDemo';
    install: 'ConnectorsGraphLayout’.

This seems repeatable, perhaps it will allow you to debug the problem.

Ken G. Brown

> On Dec 27, 2014, at 18:30, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have definitely encountered that before in some of my images.
> Unfortunately I don't know for sure what caused it nor how to fix it.
> It MIGHT have been related to hitting the break key more than once too
> quickly, but I could be totally wrong about that.  I think I ended up
> restoring from a backup image or... in one case I may have closed down
> most or all windows and it eventually went away..??  Sorry, I'm not
> sure.  The only thing I'm sure of is I've had the problem a couple of
> times earlier this year..
>
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>>    my image has got into that weird state where clicking on a window not at
>> the front causes slow redraws of the restacked windows, I suspect because
>> the execution simulator (a.k.a. the debugger) is running the drawing code.
>> If anyone recognises this state do they also know how to get out of it?
>>
>> --
>> best,
>> Eliot

re: weird image state

Eliot Miranda-2

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Eliot--

> my image has got into that weird state where clicking on a window
> not at the front causes slow redraws of the restacked windows, I
> suspect because the execution simulator (a.k.a. the debugger) is
> running the drawing code.  If anyone recognises this state do they
> also know how to get out of it?

     I can get out of it by starting a new UI process, by halting with
meta-period.

Yes, that works form me.  But not always, or perhaps it got back into the same state again.  At least now the system is working well again.

     FYI, I can get into it by forcing a "syntax error" window (e.g., by
adding an instance variable to a class which already uses the instance
variable name as a temporary variable), editing the offending method to
get rid of the error, and continuing.

Ah, that's v good to know.  Of course, now its working I'm not motivated to fix this.  But some time I'll try and take a look.  At least I'll flag this thread to come back to.

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

--
best,
Eliot

re: weird image state

Bert Freudenberg
On 28.12.2014, at 23:29, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Eliot--
>
>> > my image has got into that weird state where clicking on a window
>> > not at the front causes slow redraws of the restacked windows, I
>> > suspect because the execution simulator (a.k.a. the debugger) is
>> > running the drawing code.  If anyone recognises this state do they
>> > also know how to get out of it?
>>
>>      I can get out of it by starting a new UI process, by halting with
>> meta-period.
>>
> Yes, that works form me.  But not always, or perhaps it got back into the same state again.  At least now the system is working well again.
>>
>>      FYI, I can get into it by forcing a "syntax error" window (e.g., by
>> adding an instance variable to a class which already uses the instance
>> variable name as a temporary variable), editing the offending method to
>> get rid of the error, and continuing.
>>
> Ah, that's v good to know.  Of course, now its working I'm not motivated to fix this.  But some time I'll try and take a look.  At least I'll flag this thread to come back to.
I have never really tracked it down, but I think this happens when the defer-display-updates VM flag is not enabled, which is why you see every single drawing operation. Since regular display updates from the Morphic main loop normally manage that flag, I suspect that somehow this drawing must happen outside that loop. The flag is cleared when an error happens so that debug output gets to the screen ASAP. And IIRC it always starts to happen after an error occurred.

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment