what about deprecating deprecated: ?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks. Yes, I know it sounds weird...but just read

We said (don't remember when) that when we deprecate a method, we give a whole release time so that eternal packages can fix they senders. And then in the next release we remove it.

For example, in Pharo 1.1 we deprecate the methodX. Then, in Pharo 1.2, we should remove it, together with the rest of methods depreacted in Pharo 1.1.

How to detect the methods deprecated in Pharo 1.1? You need to take a 1.1 image and look there.

But to solve this, and other problems, we have not only deprecate: but also deprecated: anExplanationString on: date in: version
This is muuuch better and we can even then automate code so that it automatically removes the deprecation of a previous image. You can browse and see where each method was deprecated.

It would be cool if everybody uses that method instead of deprecated. And thus, it would be cool to deprecate deprecated: hahahahaha

what do you think?

cheers

mariano

Re: what about deprecating deprecated: ?

Stéphane Ducasse
Good idea. Now what I want and we will do it with veronica :)
is to have *****ALL***** the squeak/pharo code in a Gemstone db so that we can browse the complete history.

Stef