what do we do with SoundService?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guy

Sound has an AbstractSoundSystem and a Base and Dummy. Then in addition there is SounService.

SoundService is not doing much

soundEnabled
        ^ self defaultSoundEnabled

defaultSoundEnabled
        ^DefaultSoundEnabled ifNil: [false]

toggleSoundEnabling
     self soundEnabled: self soundEnabled not

So we could just keep AbstractSoundSystem and deprecate SoundService.

Re: what do we do with SoundService?

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

removal of this class is proposed in
https://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6996

-- Pavel

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guy
>
> Sound has an AbstractSoundSystem and a Base and Dummy. Then in addition there is SounService.
>
> SoundService is not doing much
>
> soundEnabled
>         ^ self defaultSoundEnabled
>
> defaultSoundEnabled
>         ^DefaultSoundEnabled ifNil: [false]
>
> toggleSoundEnabling
>      self soundEnabled: self soundEnabled not
>

> So we could just keep AbstractSoundSystem and deprecate SoundService.
>
> Stef

Re: what do we do with SoundService?

stephane ducasse
Sounds ok for me. We should do that for 3.0alpha :)
Now I do not care about Beeper removal.

I will split sound in different packages because there are sound and score and these are different domains.

Stef

On Mar 10, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> removal of this class is proposed in
> https://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6996
>
> -- Pavel
>

> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi guy
>>
>> Sound has an AbstractSoundSystem and a Base and Dummy. Then in addition there is SounService.
>>
>> SoundService is not doing much
>>
>> soundEnabled
>>        ^ self defaultSoundEnabled
>>
>> defaultSoundEnabled
>>        ^DefaultSoundEnabled ifNil: [false]
>>
>> toggleSoundEnabling
>>     self soundEnabled: self soundEnabled not
>>

>> So we could just keep AbstractSoundSystem and deprecate SoundService.
>>
>> Stef

Re: what do we do with SoundService?

philippeback
e.g. of sound being useful:

With the help of Craig Latta, I've been trying out Spoon.
There is a remote browser for browsing classes remotely.

Well, sound cues while things are transferred over the network are
very useful when debugging.

That's why sound matters in the core of Pharo. And Beeper may be
interesting too.

Phil

2013/3/10 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Sounds ok for me. We should do that for 3.0alpha :)
> Now I do not care about Beeper removal.
>
> I will split sound in different packages because there are sound and score and these are different domains.
>
> Stef
>
> On Mar 10, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> removal of this class is proposed in
>> https://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6996
>>
>> -- Pavel
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi guy
>>>
>>> Sound has an AbstractSoundSystem and a Base and Dummy. Then in addition there is SounService.
>>>
>>> SoundService is not doing much
>>>
>>> soundEnabled
>>>        ^ self defaultSoundEnabled
>>>
>>> defaultSoundEnabled
>>>        ^DefaultSoundEnabled ifNil: [false]
>>>
>>> toggleSoundEnabling
>>>     self soundEnabled: self soundEnabled not
>>>

>>> So we could just keep AbstractSoundSystem and deprecate SoundService.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: what do we do with SoundService?

stephane ducasse

> That's why sound matters in the core of Pharo. And Beeper may be
> interesting too.

yes!

what I mean is that to have Beeper is not a problem to me.
But I see what pavel means: no need for SoundSystem and Beeper.