what is the new way to do Smalltalk at: #MyClass?

12

Re: what is the new way to do Smalltalk at: #MyClass?

Camillo Bruni-3
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/10583/Use-System-instead-of-Smalltalk-to-access-globals

On 2013-08-26, at 15:54, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... and Smalltalk should be renamed into Pharo anyway.
>
> :-p
>
> Phil
>

> On Monday, August 26, 2013, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 26 August 2013 14:34, Camille Teruel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 26 août 2013, at 13:31, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>>
>>> the intent was to replace
>>> Smalltalk at:
>>> Smalltalk globals at:
>>>
>>> idioms with shorter one, and get rid of referencing Smalltalk global.
>>>
>>> The are not for solving future problems with introduction of
> environments.
>>>
>>> We want to get rid of Smalltalk globals because it currently resolve to
> an instance of SmalltalkImage, a class that does way too much things,
> including holding the currently unique environment, while a global could
> directly refer to it.
>>> Also the references to Smalltalk globals that where really wrong are
> already gone and were in compiler.
>>>
>>> And even if you introduce them, i still think you need a way to refer to
> globals (they are likely to stay)
>>>
>>> Globals are global to their environment. We could also call them
> environment variable.
>>
>> Nope. In current system it is something else. It is a global variable not
> local to any environment.
>> And you will certainly have problems with old (and not so) code, if you
> swap the meaning (and underlying semantic)
>> of globals to anything else you may want.
>> This is what i trying to point out. In this case, #asClass is good,
> because it makes sure that old semantics will be preserved,
>> no matter what changes we may do.
>> It also will allow us to revisit all senders of #asClass and easily
> change them to something else when we will be ready for that..
>> and btw it will be much easier comparing to visiting all uses of
> Smalltalk or all uses of ThisEnvironment.
>>

> --
> ---
> Philippe Back
> Dramatic Performance Improvements
> Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
> Mail:[hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu
> Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback
> Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/philippeback/videos
>
> High Octane SPRL
> rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium
>
> Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
> Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast -
> http://spamcast.libsyn.com
> Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value
> Added Reseller

Re: what is the new way to do Smalltalk at: #MyClass?

Frank Shearar-3
On 26 August 2013 13:34, Camille Teruel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26 août 2013, at 13:31, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
> the intent was to replace
> Smalltalk at:
> Smalltalk globals at:
>
> idioms with shorter one, and get rid of referencing Smalltalk global.
>
> The are not for solving future problems with introduction of environments.
>

> We want to get rid of Smalltalk globals because it currently resolve to an
> instance of SmalltalkImage, a class that does way too much things, including
> holding the currently unique environment, while a global could directly
> refer to it.
>
> Also the references to Smalltalk globals that where really wrong are already
> gone and were in compiler.
>
> And even if you introduce them, i still think you need a way to refer to
> globals (they are likely to stay)
>

> Globals are global to their environment. We could also call them environment
> variable.
>

> Whatever we will use for binding symbols in local environment, this is
> orthogonal.
>
> Now you proposing introduce
> ThisEnvironment at:
>

> which getting back where we started from.
>

> No because ThisEnvironment would be an instance of Environment (basically a
> refactored SystemDictionary) not of SmalltalkImage.
> So who should be in charge of knowing how to handle accessible variable?
> An instance of Environment with a nice api or an instance of Symbol by
> herself?

Squeak 4.5 already does this. Please take a look at the Environment
class and see how it works, especially as far as getting it into the
image in the first place.

frank

> [...]
>

> Also, #asClass means 'give me the class or throw error', while
> Smalltalk globals at: , obviously don't do that and gives you any object
> bound to given symbol, if it there.
>

> Any control?
> at:ifAbsent:
> at:ifPresent:
> at:ifAbsent:ifPresent:
> are already there and if you want to ensure the global is a class you could
> have: classNamed:ifAbsent:ifPresent:
>

> On 26 August 2013 12:31, Camille Teruel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 26 août 2013, at 10:56, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

>> > exactly

>> > this was already discussed. With #asClass and relatives what you have is
>> > a better abstraction jut because you are decoupled of "Smalltalk globals",
>> > it is not a big win now, but it open doors to better designs with
>> > environments, etc.
>> > At least, that was my understanding when the issue arise at the
>> > beginning.
>>
>> It's not a better abstraction, it's a worse one.
>> Sending #asClass to a symbol will ever execute the same method that anyway
>> as to rely on a global: Smalltalk.
>> And this global is solved in only one environment: the one of the class
>> Symbol where #asClass and co. are implemented.
>> So if you want separated environments you know what kind of thing you'll
>> end up writing?
>>
>> '#Foo asClassInEnvitonment: self class environment'
>>
>> or implementing:
>>
>> Symbol>>#asClass
>>         ^ self asClassInEnvironment: thisContext sender receiver class
>> environment
>>
>> However, as soon as the compiler use the environment of the compiled
>> method's class to solves the globals it contains, Smalltalk can refer to
>> anything.
>> So the only problem with: 'Smalltalk globals at:'  is that you send a
>> message #globals to the global Smalltalk to fetch the environment while we
>> could just have a global ThisEnvironment pointing to itself.
>>
>> Writting 'ThisEnvironment at: #Foo' is much more natural.
>>
>> If we want separated environments, each environment just have to define a
>> binding ThisEnvironment pointing to itself and everything works well.
>> What I don't like with #asClass and co. is the style: you talk to a symbol
>> instead of an environment.
>> It's like saying: '#key valueIn: aDict' instead of: 'aDict at: #key',
>> 'letter beSentBy: postman to: receiver' instead of: 'postman send: letter
>> to: receiver', etc...
>>
>> In Smalltalk we already have self to refer to the current receiver and
>> thisContext to refer to the current stack frame. If we want different
>> environments, is it that weird to have a ThisEnvironment to refer to the
>> current environment?
>>

>> > Esteban

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: what is the new way to do Smalltalk at: #MyClass?

camille teruel

On 26 août 2013, at 15:04, Igor Stasenko wrote:

[...]

In the current system (in fact since Pharo 1.3 I think) we have that:

Object subclass: #A.
envA := SystemDictionary new.
envA at: #Smalltalk put: 33.
A environment: envA.
A compile: 'st ^ Smalltalk'.
A new st
-----> 33

And you will certainly have problems with old (and not so) code, if you swap the meaning (and underlying semantic)
of globals to anything else you may want.

Again, that doesn't change the semantic!
The problems will only appear once several environment will be introduced.
Code in dev tools that try to fetch a global via ThisEnvironment (the one of tool package) instead of someClass environment (the one of a class the tool display, inspect, browse...).
The very same problems would happen with #asClass, except that this time, we'll have to revisit all the senders of #asClass and company.

This is what i trying to point out. In this case, #asClass is good, because it makes sure that old semantics will be preserved,
no matter what changes we may do.

It just ensure to lock the system in its current state...

It also will allow us to revisit all senders of #asClass and easily change them to something else when we will be ready for that..
and btw it will be much easier comparing to visiting all uses of Smalltalk or all uses of ThisEnvironment.

So browsing senders of #asClass, #asClassIfPresent:, #asClassIfAbsent: and #asClassIfAbsent:ifPresent: is much more easy than browsing reference to ThisEnvironment?
And you would most probably never have to visit the reference to ThisEnvironment...

12