what should be done to have a metacello configuration that is loadable?

what should be done to have a metacello configuration that is loadable?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I think that having a metacello configuration that is working for moose is key.
So what are the problems?

Re: what should be done to have a metacello configuration that is loadable?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

The problem is that we need a script that given:
- a baseline (default in our case), and
- the packages from the current image

versions the current configuration and all the nested configurations. This does not seem to work properly because we have such a deep nesting of configurations. At this point, I would even be satisfied with having a specific configuration that lists all packages by flattening the nested configurations.

Cheers,
Doru

On 31 May 2011, at 22:45, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I think that having a metacello configuration that is working for moose is key.
> So what are the problems?
>
> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: what should be done to have a metacello configuration that is loadable?

abergel
Indeed. Last time I tried there was a bug in Metacello. I reported it, but I was full with other things:
http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/detail?id=107

Alexandre

On 31 May 2011, at 16:45, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I think that having a metacello configuration that is working for moose is key.
> So what are the problems?
>
> Stef

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: what should be done to have a metacello configuration that is loadable?

jfabry

Does it have to be a metacello configuration or any other means to do it automatically? I have been looking into the issue, trying to find a way to get a list of packages to load and in what order. If we have this, then a gofer script is enough. I am currenlty blocked at defining the load order of packages. Doru gave me some hints but I have not been able to look into it further (yet).

On 31 May 2011, at 16:45, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I think that having a metacello configuration that is working for moose is key.
> So what are the problems?
>
> Stef

Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: what should be done to have a metacello configuration that is loadable?

thanks

I think that this is really important to address that if the build does not work then why the rest is of importance since we cannot rollback.
So please have a look. Moose is really important and also we should learn for the complete pharo system.
Dale replied.

Stef

On May 31, 2011, at 10:53 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The problem is that we need a script that given:
> - a baseline (default in our case), and
> - the packages from the current image
>
> versions the current configuration and all the nested configurations. This does not seem to work properly because we have such a deep nesting of configurations. At this point, I would even be satisfied with having a specific configuration that lists all packages by flattening the nested configurations.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 31 May 2011, at 22:45, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I think that having a metacello configuration that is working for moose is key.
>> So what are the problems?
>>
>> Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: what should be done to have a metacello configuration that is loadable?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

(I am copying the metacello mailing list here because I think we could join the efforts by dealing with Moose as a case study)

Stef, I did not see the reply of Dale. Where was it?

In any case, let's join our efforts. Who is willing to spend some focus time around this:
- Johan said he would, but it is unclear when
- Alex?
- anyone else?

Doru

On 1 Jun 2011, at 07:32, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> thanks
>
> I think that this is really important to address that if the build does not work then why the rest is of importance since we cannot rollback.
> So please have a look. Moose is really important and also we should learn for the complete pharo system.
> Dale replied.
>

> Stef
>
> On May 31, 2011, at 10:53 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The problem is that we need a script that given:
>> - a baseline (default in our case), and
>> - the packages from the current image
>>
>> versions the current configuration and all the nested configurations. This does not seem to work properly because we have such a deep nesting of configurations. At this point, I would even be satisfied with having a specific configuration that lists all packages by flattening the nested configurations.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 31 May 2011, at 22:45, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> I think that having a metacello configuration that is working for moose is key.
>>> So what are the problems?
>>>
>>> Stef
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving should be focused on describing
the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."

On Jun 1, 2011, at 11:40 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (I am copying the metacello mailing list here because I think we could join the efforts by dealing with Moose as a case study)
>
> Stef, I did not see the reply of Dale. Where was it?

on the bug entry of alex.

> In any case, let's join our efforts. Who is willing to spend some focus time around this:
> - Johan said he would, but it is unclear when
> - Alex?
> - anyone else?
>
> Doru
>

> On 1 Jun 2011, at 07:32, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> thanks
>>
>> I think that this is really important to address that if the build does not work then why the rest is of importance since we cannot rollback.
>> So please have a look. Moose is really important and also we should learn for the complete pharo system.
>> Dale replied.
>>

>> Stef
>>
>> On May 31, 2011, at 10:53 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The problem is that we need a script that given:
>>> - a baseline (default in our case), and
>>> - the packages from the current image
>>>
>>> versions the current configuration and all the nested configurations. This does not seem to work properly because we have such a deep nesting of configurations. At this point, I would even be satisfied with having a specific configuration that lists all packages by flattening the nested configurations.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving should be focused on describing
> the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."

Re: what should be done to have a metacello configuration that is loadable?

jfabry

I think I should be able to look at this again somewhere next week.

On 01 Jun 2011, at 05:40, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (I am copying the metacello mailing list here because I think we could join the efforts by dealing with Moose as a case study)
>
> Stef, I did not see the reply of Dale. Where was it?
>
> In any case, let's join our efforts. Who is willing to spend some focus time around this:
> - Johan said he would, but it is unclear when
> - Alex?
> - anyone else?
>
> Doru
>

> On 1 Jun 2011, at 07:32, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> thanks
>>
>> I think that this is really important to address that if the build does not work then why the rest is of importance since we cannot rollback.
>> So please have a look. Moose is really important and also we should learn for the complete pharo system.
>> Dale replied.
>>

>> Stef
>>
>> On May 31, 2011, at 10:53 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The problem is that we need a script that given:
>>> - a baseline (default in our case), and
>>> - the packages from the current image
>>>
>>> versions the current configuration and all the nested configurations. This does not seem to work properly because we have such a deep nesting of configurations. At this point, I would even be satisfied with having a specific configuration that lists all packages by flattening the nested configurations.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving should be focused on describing
> the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."

Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: what should be done to have a metacello configuration that is loadable?

abergel
Even if I already spent a lot of time on this, I am willing to pursue the effort.
We could meet in a couple of weeks in Bern about this. But best is to have Dale around.
Dale, will you be at esug?

Alexandre

On 1 Jun 2011, at 05:40, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (I am copying the metacello mailing list here because I think we could join the efforts by dealing with Moose as a case study)
>
> Stef, I did not see the reply of Dale. Where was it?
>
> In any case, let's join our efforts. Who is willing to spend some focus time around this:
> - Johan said he would, but it is unclear when
> - Alex?
> - anyone else?
>
> Doru
>

> On 1 Jun 2011, at 07:32, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> thanks
>>
>> I think that this is really important to address that if the build does not work then why the rest is of importance since we cannot rollback.
>> So please have a look. Moose is really important and also we should learn for the complete pharo system.
>> Dale replied.
>>

>> Stef
>>
>> On May 31, 2011, at 10:53 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The problem is that we need a script that given:
>>> - a baseline (default in our case), and
>>> - the packages from the current image
>>>
>>> versions the current configuration and all the nested configurations. This does not seem to work properly because we have such a deep nesting of configurations. At this point, I would even be satisfied with having a specific configuration that lists all packages by flattening the nested configurations.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving should be focused on describing
> the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: what should be done to have a metacello configuration that is loadable?

Stéphane Ducasse
I will try to allocate some time on it.
even if my time is #$%^&*( short in this moment.

Stef

On Jun 1, 2011, at 4:01 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Even if I already spent a lot of time on this, I am willing to pursue the effort.
> We could meet in a couple of weeks in Bern about this. But best is to have Dale around.
> Dale, will you be at esug?
>
> Alexandre
>

> On 1 Jun 2011, at 05:40, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> (I am copying the metacello mailing list here because I think we could join the efforts by dealing with Moose as a case study)
>>
>> Stef, I did not see the reply of Dale. Where was it?
>>
>> In any case, let's join our efforts. Who is willing to spend some focus time around this:
>> - Johan said he would, but it is unclear when
>> - Alex?
>> - anyone else?
>>
>> Doru
>>

>> On 1 Jun 2011, at 07:32, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> I think that this is really important to address that if the build does not work then why the rest is of importance since we cannot rollback.
>>> So please have a look. Moose is really important and also we should learn for the complete pharo system.
>>> Dale replied.
>>>

>>> Stef

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Problem solving should be focused on describing
>> the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."

Re: [Metacello] Re: Re: what should be done to have a metacello configuration that is loadable?

Dale Henrichs
Alexandre,

I will be at ESUG, so that would be the best time to hash out the issues and come up with some real solutions...

Dale

> Even if I already spent a lot of time on this, I am willing to pursue
> the effort.
> We could meet in a couple of weeks in Bern about this. But best is to
> have Dale around.
> Dale, will you be at esug?
>
> Alexandre
>

> On 1 Jun 2011, at 05:40, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > (I am copying the metacello mailing list here because I think we
> > could join the efforts by dealing with Moose as a case study)
> >
> > Stef, I did not see the reply of Dale. Where was it?
> >
> > In any case, let's join our efforts. Who is willing to spend some
> > focus time around this:
> > - Johan said he would, but it is unclear when
> > - Alex?
> > - anyone else?
> >
> > Doru
> >

> > On 1 Jun 2011, at 07:32, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> >
> >> thanks
> >>
> >> I think that this is really important to address that if the build
> >> does not work then why the rest is of importance since we cannot
> >> rollback.
> >> So please have a look. Moose is really important and also we
> >> should learn for the complete pharo system.
> >> Dale replied.
> >>

> >> Stef

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "Problem solving should be focused on describing
> > the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."

Re: [Metacello] Re: Re: what should be done to have a metacello configuration that is loadable?

abergel
Super!!

Alexandre