what to do when you break your site..

sergio_101-2
here's one i could never figure out how to do..

okay..

so, if you edit a component.. say, header.. and you accidentally put
in some broken html.. say, you forget to close out a tag..

when you do this, the whole site is rendered incorrectly..

this then means that the whole site is breaks, and you can't edit it,
or go back to a different revision...

how would you go back and fix this?

thanks!

--
----
peace,

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: what to do when you break your site..

Nick
Hi Sergio,

so, if you edit a component.. say, header.. and you accidentally put
in some broken html.. say, you forget to close out a tag..

when you do this, the whole site is rendered incorrectly..

this then means that the whole site is breaks, and you can't edit it,
or go back to a different revision...

This is one of the reasons for Pier-Admin - a separate admin interface that won't be effected by changes you make to the site.

However without Pier-Admin, I guess it depends on how your site is configured - in PRDistribution based sites there is a separate template/environment which is used for system tools - so that if you mess up the main site's environment you can still use the management tools - search for senders of PRDistribution>>metaEnvironmentPage

You could try using the Diff View to put back a previous version - but it will probably use you default environment (which appears to be broken)
eg:

where /pier/system/components/header is replaced with: /apath/to/component/which/is/broken

Alternatively from an image you can navigate to any PRStructure instance within your kernel with something like:

(((WADispatcher default handlerAt: 'pier') configuration valueAt: #kernel) root lookupPath: '/system/components/header') contents

This will extract the kernel from the handler registered at /pier then lookup a path to a structure within the kernel at '/system/components/header' and display the contents. You can then replace the contents with:

(((WADispatcher default handlerAt: 'pier') configuration valueAt: #kernel) root lookupPath: '/system/components/header') contents: 'fixed header'

I'm sure with some experimentation you'll be able to fix it

Nick

Re: what to do when you break your site..

Lukas Renggli
I typically keep the default style for the system-pages, so that
experiments with the template does not affect the complete site. I
think the default style is setup like this, so you can always navigate
to /system to get a working admin area.

This is likely too late now, but typically if you break something you
can use the back button and resubmit a fixed version.

If you have Pier OmniBrowser (in older versions of Pier) or Pier Admin
loaded you can easily use the alternative interface to fix the
problem. Otherwise the inspector is always a last resort.

Lukas

www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: what to do when you break your site..

sergio_101-2

> This is one of the reasons for Pier-Admin - a separate admin interface that
> won't be effected by changes you make to the site.

oh! i forgot to mention.. i am having lots of problems with
pier-admin.. i will have to try it in a controlled environment, but
the gist of it was: when i installed pier-admin, it would kill the web
server, and it wouldn't start back up. i am not sure if this was a
problem with 524 vs. 526, as i am not sure i made it to that point in
troubleshooting..

i am pretty sure i posted a detailed error log to the list, but i will
have to check again for sure..

anyway.. i will test it both in 524 and 526 tonight, and let you know
what happens..

thanks!

> However without Pier-Admin, I guess it depends on how your site is
> configured - in PRDistribution based sites there is a separate

okay, i remember doing this before.. i think /systems/components uses
the normal theme.. i think i should change that back..

--
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: what to do when you break your site..

Nick
Hi Sergio,

oh! i forgot to mention.. i am having lots of problems with
pier-admin.. i will have to try it in a controlled environment, but
the gist of it was: when i installed pier-admin, it would kill the web
server, and it wouldn't start back up. i am not sure if this was a
problem with 524 vs. 526, as i am not sure i made it to that point in
troubleshooting..

I haven't tested loading Pier-Admin into an older kernel - though I don't know if this is your problem.
In order to solve problems we need to be able to replicate your environment so to help us can you post more information such as which Smalltalk you are using e.g. Pharo 1.2, Pharo 1.3 version of Seaside, version of Pier etc. How you loaded the code.

Cheers

Nick