what version of D5.1 runs smacc?

F.Balaguer
Is it true that smacc only can run on D5.x Professional Edition? Could
be possible to make the packages/classes it depends on public to other
versions (like ValueEdition).

Federico

Re: what version of D5.1 runs smacc?

John Brant
"Federico Balaguer" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Is it true that smacc only can run on D5.x Professional Edition? Could
> be possible to make the packages/classes it depends on public to other
> versions (like ValueEdition).

You should be able to run a parser generated by SmaCC on any edition.
However, to compile a parser, SmaCC uses the refactoring browser classes
which I believe are only available in the professional edition. In
particular, it uses the RB's parse tree rewrite engine and the change
objects.

You could use VW to compile a SmaCC grammar and then file the code into
Dolphin. If you do this, I believe you'll need to tweak the IsExpressions in
SmaCCEdge. The IsExpressions map a collection of characters to a Character
testing method (e.g., '0123456789' -> #isDigit). Dolphin has different is*
testing methods than VW.

John Brant

Re: what version of D5.1 runs smacc?

Peter van Rooijen
"John Brant" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:kOvBa.506079$[hidden email]...
> "Federico Balaguer" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> > Is it true that smacc only can run on D5.x Professional Edition? Could
> > be possible to make the packages/classes it depends on public to other
> > versions (like ValueEdition).
>
> You should be able to run a parser generated by SmaCC on any edition.
> However, to compile a parser, SmaCC uses the refactoring browser classes
> which I believe are only available in the professional edition.

Is that so? I thought that code had been contributed for free, so it eludes
me why it would not be available for all versions. Anybody know what's up?

Regards,

Peter van Rooijen
Amsterdam

> In
> particular, it uses the RB's parse tree rewrite engine and the change
> objects.
>
> You could use VW to compile a SmaCC grammar and then file the code into
> Dolphin. If you do this, I believe you'll need to tweak the IsExpressions
in
> SmaCCEdge. The IsExpressions map a collection of characters to a Character
> testing method (e.g., '0123456789' -> #isDigit). Dolphin has different is*
> testing methods than VW.
>

> John Brant

Re: what version of D5.1 runs smacc?

Christopher J. Demers
"Peter van Rooijen" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:3ed728e3$0$49113$[hidden email]...

> "John Brant" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:kOvBa.506079$[hidden email]...
> > "Federico Balaguer" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> > news:[hidden email]...
> > > Is it true that smacc only can run on D5.x Professional Edition? Could
> > > be possible to make the packages/classes it depends on public to other
> > > versions (like ValueEdition).
> >
> > You should be able to run a parser generated by SmaCC on any edition.
> > However, to compile a parser, SmaCC uses the refactoring browser classes
> > which I believe are only available in the professional edition.
>
> Is that so? I thought that code had been contributed for free, so it
eludes
> me why it would not be available for all versions. Anybody know what's up?

I think there was a free version of the refactoring browser released for D4
(one might have to dig a bit to find it).  I don't know if that has the
correct classes, but I imagine that one could try using that with SmaCC in a
non pro D5.

Chris

Re: what version of D5.1 runs smacc?

Blair McGlashan
"Christopher J. Demers" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:bb8fma$70oj7$[hidden email]...
> "Peter van Rooijen" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:3ed728e3$0$49113$[hidden email]...
> > "John Brant" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> > news:kOvBa.506079$[hidden email]...
> > > "Federico Balaguer" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> > > news:[hidden email]...
Could

> > > You should be able to run a parser generated by SmaCC on any edition.
> > > However, to compile a parser, SmaCC uses the refactoring browser
classes
> > > which I believe are only available in the professional edition.
> >
> > Is that so? I thought that code had been contributed for free, so it
> eludes
> > me why it would not be available for all versions. Anybody know what's
up?

> I think there was a free version of the refactoring browser released for
D4
> (one might have to dig a bit to find it).  I don't know if that has the
> correct classes, but I imagine that one could try using that with SmaCC in
> non pro D5.

Refactoring engines for all versions of Dolphin, with the exception of 2.1
but including 5.x, are available for download from:

http://www.object-arts.co.uk/wiki/html/Dolphin/RefactoringBrowser.htm

Regards

Blair