when I press allNamespaces - Smalltalk

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

when I press
        allNamespaces - Smalltalk
 in the finder
the system takes around 6 seconds to react. May be computing metrics in the back but it does not give a
good impression.

Re: when I press allNamespaces - Smalltalk

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Stef,

Please use 5.0. It is more than productive and it already contains all sorts of enhancements. I believe this one is fixed there.

Doru

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

when I press
        allNamespaces - Smalltalk
 in the finder
the system takes around 6 seconds to react. May be computing metrics in the back but it does not give a
good impression.

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: when I press allNamespaces - Smalltalk

Stéphane Ducasse

On Dec 7, 2013, at 7:39 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

What did you import?

I imported a proprietary system composed of 140 packages. So I Imagine that if you load pharo in Moose you should get the same.
I do not understand why it is slow on Smalltalk.

It looks like a Smalltalk system

yes it is.

Could I reproduce?

Not really but I will try to click again and see what it is doing.

looks like it is computing metrics and may be the metrics computation should be really done only when we click on the metric panes.

afferentCoupling
<MSEProperty: #afferentCoupling type: #Number>
<derived>
<MSEComment: 'Afferent Coupling of a namespace Afferent is the number of classes that depend upon this namespace'>

^ (self queryAllIncomingAssociations atTypeScope outOfMyNamespace select: [:c | c isInstanceSide]) size.

[...]

Ben Coman
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

On Dec 7, 2013, at 7:39 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

What did you import?

I imported a proprietary system composed of 140 packages. So I Imagine that if you load pharo in Moose you should get the same.
I do not understand why it is slow on Smalltalk.

How is your speed without text showing?
Is there any unicode in you data?  I found that to go much slower than ascii.
Also I hacked some speedup of labels here [1], however that was all back in January.  I am out of touch with current-Rossal. (Hopefully I'll catch up soon)

[1]   https://code.google.com/p/moose-technology/issues/detail?id=901

cheers -ben