when creating a single .exe app...

Sean Malloy-3
Once you have run Lagoon, stripped the image, created and deployed the .exe,
does the Dolphin VM get embedded into the .exe as well?

Can I take an executable, put it on someone elses machine, and just run it?
Or do they need the VM dll installed too?

I don't have a dolphin-free machine, so I can't test it!

Re: when creating a single .exe app...

Christopher J. Demers
"Sean Malloy" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:k176c.3685$[hidden email]...
> Once you have run Lagoon, stripped the image, created and deployed the
.exe,
> does the Dolphin VM get embedded into the .exe as well?

If it has been deployed as a To Go (that means the VM is included)
application, yes.  I think that is the default.

> Can I take an executable, put it on someone elses machine, and just run
it?
> Or do they need the VM dll installed too?

The VM dll is not needed if the application is a To Go application.

If your target user is using a very old system they may not have some
required DLLs.  You can find info about and download the MSVC runtime
library DLLs here (I think you can ignore the rest of the page, it should
probably be updated):
http://www.object-arts.co.uk/wiki/html/Dolphin/SystemRequirementsForDeployedApplications.htm

Depending upon what UI controls you have used in your application you may
need to ensure that the target machine has recent common controls.  The
easiest way to ensure this is to require that a recent version of Internet
Explorer be installed on the target machine.  Perhaps someone else can
comment on version numbers required.

If it is a fairly recent computer you may not have to worry about these
additional files.  If you do need to support old systems then take a look at
InnoSetup, a free setup generator. http://www.innosetup.com .  When paired
with the free Istool UI it is a great program.

Chris

Re: when creating a single .exe app...

Bill Schwab-2
Sean,

> Once you have run Lagoon, stripped the image, created and deployed the
.exe,
> does the Dolphin VM get embedded into the .exe as well?

If you use the default "To Go" stripping option, then the VM is included in
the executable.  The exe will still have some dependencies, most of which
will be satisfied with a reasonably current installation of IE.  Perhaps the
most troublesome (least likely to be present) file is msvcp60.dll.
DolphinDR005.dll contains some icons that you might "need", though the exe
is unlikely to crash without them.  DolphinSureCrypto.dll might be necessary
if you use secure hashes.

I second Chris' recommendation of InnoSetup.  It's free, powerful, flexible,
and stable.  The first few installations will seem complicated, but after
you build a few scripts, you will start to find that cloning one of them to
make a new installer is really quite painless.  Better still, it has an
include directive which I use to put all of my Dolphin-specific runtime
files in one place.  I am slowly learning how to drive it from Dolphin,
_almost_ to the point that I run a batch file and return later to find
multiple up to date installers named per version and copied where my web
server can see them.

> Can I take an executable, put it on someone elses machine, and just run
it?
> Or do they need the VM dll installed too?

As you can see above, the VM is the easy part.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: when creating a single .exe app...

Sean Malloy-3
Chris, Bill

Thanks for the comments. I'm writing some internal apps where I will have
full control over deployment environment, so with the information provided,
I should be good to go.

+1 on InnoSetup. I've used InnoSetup a lot to do .NET installations. I spent
a lot of time writing delphi dlls which would do a lot of my tasks (IIS
configs, SQLDMO config etc). And then Jordan went out and added the ability
to call com objects direct from IS. So it sort of mae my work redundant, but
I'm happy none the less! Now all the work can be done right in innosetup.

Thanks again