where are system settings stored?

Dale Henrichs-3

I am currently using Pharo 7.0 and I've just discovered that my "local directory" is /home/dhenrich/rogue/_homes/rogue/_home/dev/clients/gci_70_tst/pharo-local:

This file has to date back to the beginning of the year and i had deleted that directory structure a week or so ago before starting on my (totally unrelated work) and didn't discover the problem until i tried to run an image created locally up on traivs[1], where this bug[2] manifested itself and I eventually tracked the source of problem to the "local directory" setting ...

Now I would like to know where the pharo settings file is hiding, so that I can avoid running into this problem in the future ... ...

I've poked around in the Settings Browser looking for the default location of the settings file. There's "Store Settings" and "Load Settings", but nothing that allows me to find out/control the location of the settings file itself ...

... I only got to this point by tracing back from allinstances of OmSessionStore to a class var where the "directory" was stored and then got the settings browser by looking at senders ... but now I've run out of ideas.

I assume that this is common knowledge, but not quite common enough for me:)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dale

[1] https://travis-ci.org/dalehenrich/st_launcher/builds/561863077#L603
[2] https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/37

Re: where are system settings stored?

CyrilFerlicot

On Mon 22 Jul 2019 at 19:25, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Dale,

I’m on phone so I cannot check exactly but you can get the location by executing `FileLocator preferences asFileReference`.

Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

On 7/22/19 10:30 AM, Cyril Ferlicot wrote:
FileLocator preferences asFileReference

Thanks Cyril ... I get `File @ /home/dhenrich/.config` and there is a pharo directory with some stuff in it ... poking around it seems that the system settings are in a pharo/7.0 subdirectory with a system-settings.ston file, that when catted looks like the following:

which is of course due to the fact that the file is using CR instead of LF ...

After replacing CR's with LF's, there are a bunch of places where gci_70_tst show up in the system-settings.ston file and each of those places is an absolute path ... which seems to indicate that I will have to be creative when trying to share an image file with different users to run as a pre-built application ...

Thanks again, Cyril ... This is the pointer that I needed ... I had no clue that pharo was stashing stuff in .config and that I was using a local-cache directory that was magically created over 6 months ago:)

I will start pulling on this thread and see where it takes me:)

Dale