where is the objectlog?

NorbertHartl
My last installation is rather considered brand new. I remember Dale mentioning that objectlog is not installed by default. Which package do I need to install to get it back?

thanks,

Norbert

Re: where is the objectlog?

Dale Henrichs
Norbert Hartl wrote:
> My last installation is rather considered brand new. I remember Dale mentioning that objectlog is not installed by default. Which package do I need to install to get it back?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norbert
Norbert,

The ObjectLog code is loaded, but it is not automatically added as an
application. Here's the code from the Seaside3.0 workspace:

   WAAdmin
        register: WAObjectLog
        asApplicationAt: WAObjectLog entryPointName
        user: 'admin' password: 'tool'.

If you want to use the object log in production, you must supply a
username and password and you must change the default password ... the
object log has an embedded inspector (at present) which allows execution
of arbitrary expressions.

I figured the best way was to require manual registration...

Dale

Re: where is the objectlog?

FDominicus
Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> writes:

> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>> My last installation is rather considered brand new. I remember Dale mentioning that objectlog is not installed by default. Which package do I need to install to get it back?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Norbert
> Norbert,
>
> The ObjectLog code is loaded, but it is not automatically added as an
> application. Here's the code from the Seaside3.0 workspace:
>
>   WAAdmin
> register: WAObjectLog
> asApplicationAt: WAObjectLog entryPointName
> user: 'admin' password: 'tool'.
Wow, I did not even know that such a thing exists. That's really nice to
learn. How many things may be there in Gemstone I do not even dream of
;-)

Regards
Friedrich

Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

Re: where is the objectlog?

Dale Henrichs
Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

> Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>> My last installation is rather considered brand new. I remember Dale mentioning that objectlog is not installed by default. Which package do I need to install to get it back?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Norbert
>> Norbert,
>>
>> The ObjectLog code is loaded, but it is not automatically added as an
>> application. Here's the code from the Seaside3.0 workspace:
>>
>>   WAAdmin
>> register: WAObjectLog
>> asApplicationAt: WAObjectLog entryPointName
>> user: 'admin' password: 'tool'.
> Wow, I did not even know that such a thing exists. That's really nice to
> learn. How many things may be there in Gemstone I do not even dream of
> ;-)
>
> Regards
> Friedrich

Friedrich,

Haha. I think the "remote debugging" and the "object log" are the realy
nice things that exist in GLASS that don't (yet) exist in the
Pharo-based Seaside. Of course GemStone itself has a lot of features
some of which are hidden behind GemTools or not yet revealed in my blog
posts/wiki. I suppose that over time you will see information on some of
these neat things:

   - efficient queries against indexed collections
   - statmonitor and vsd (record and view 100's of statistics about the
     health of the system, the os and each GemStone process)
   - SymbolList based name spaces

this is only a partial list:)

Dale