where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

123

where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Where should I report Pharo VM crashes with Pharo 2.0?

In particular, I wanted to report the problem related to running Moose tests from the command line:

---
You can reproduce it on Mac, quite consistently: just run the attached script (you need to have wget installed), or do it manually:

1. download and unzip the latest Moose 4.8:
https://ci.inria.fr/moose/job/Moose-latest-dev-4.8/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Moose-latest-dev-4.8.zip
2. download and unzip the latest Pharo VM:
http://pharo.gforge.inria.fr/ci/vm/pharo/mac/pharo-mac-latest.zip
3. execute:
./Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo ./Moose-latest-dev-4.8.image moosetest

The VM crashes, but there is no trace of the error.
---

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

crasher.sh (354 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

stephane ducasse
thanks doru!

> Hi,
>
> Where should I report Pharo VM crashes with Pharo 2.0?

here first :)

> In particular, I wanted to report the problem related to running Moose tests from the command line:
>
> ---
> You can reproduce it on Mac, quite consistently: just run the attached script (you need to have wget installed), or do it manually:
>
> 1. download and unzip the latest Moose 4.8:
> https://ci.inria.fr/moose/job/Moose-latest-dev-4.8/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Moose-latest-dev-4.8.zip
> 2. download and unzip the latest Pharo VM:
> http://pharo.gforge.inria.fr/ci/vm/pharo/mac/pharo-mac-latest.zip
> 3. execute:
> ./Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo ./Moose-latest-dev-4.8.image moosetest
>
> The VM crashes, but there is no trace of the error.
> ---
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."
>
> <crasher.sh>

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

Tudor Girba-2
Great.

Is there anything I can do to help fixing the problem? (my problem is that I do not even know where to start)

As you can imagine this is an important blocker for the Moose team.

Cheers,
Doru

thanks doru!

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

EstebanLM
Hi Doru,

We are working hard to try to fix the vm stability issues and users help is the only way we can have enough crash cases to debug.
Sending a mail to the list with a reproducible case is the best way to help up fix the vm.

Any report is welcomed :)

Esteban

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

Tudor Girba-2
I do not understand. I sent the mail with a reproducible case twice (one is just below) :)

Is this enough? Could you reproduce it?

Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

EstebanLM
I will try it today :)

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

stephane ducasse
Doru

You cannot expect people to work when there are on vacation :).
BTW I only saw the second report.
In addition this is why we are building the consortium because our team will not be able to pay one full time engineer in the long
run.

Many people do not get that this is not granted that we have a vm and system that fully work :)
So help us convincing companies :)
I'm not talking about you.

Stef

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

Stephan Eggermont-3
>It would be good to have a parallel job, but the problem is that you will
>get a message saying that the VM is too old for the Pharo 2.0 image.

I started the latest MOOSE image on Eliots latest VM on mac.
It still has the 'old vm' warning.
Adding a monticello repository (directory) doesn't work.
Tests are still running

Stephan

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Stef,

I do not assume that people have to work on my bug reports.

I simply clarified the confusion: Esteban was asking for a reproducible case and the reproducible steps were right below his email :).

Btw, you even replied to the first report, but I should have made the title more clear :)

Cheers,
Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

EstebanLM
Eliot builds will always have the old vm warning, even if they are not old :)...
you need one of the pharo builds (CogVM, NBCogVM or PharoVM)

On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:05 AM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> It would be good to have a parallel job, but the problem is that you will
>> get a message saying that the VM is too old for the Pharo 2.0 image.
>
> I started the latest MOOSE image on Eliots latest VM on mac.
> It still has the 'old vm' warning.
> Adding a monticello repository (directory) doesn't work.
> Tests are still running
>
> Stephan

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

stephane ducasse

Hi Stef,

I do not assume that people have to work on my bug reports.

I simply clarified the confusion: Esteban was asking for a reproducible case and the reproducible steps were right below his email :).

Btw, you even replied to the first report, but I should have made the title more clear :)

Ok :)

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

philippeback
Eliot's VMs on Mac will always give the warning as the version isn't
the same kind of string as Esteban's. Some kind of git thing, like:

#define REVISION_STRING "git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git Commit:
63aa6ed8a070fc730224b496e0dda7c3f8482e10 Date: 2013-02-14 11:43:21
+0100 By: Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>"

Phil

2013/3/12 Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]>:

>>It would be good to have a parallel job, but the problem is that you will
>>get a message saying that the VM is too old for the Pharo 2.0 image.
>
> I started the latest MOOSE image on Eliots latest VM on mac.
> It still has the 'old vm' warning.
> Adding a monticello repository (directory) doesn't work.
> Tests are still running
>
> Stephan

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

philippeback
Eliot's CogVM vs PharoVM on Mac application contents. Quite different.

And worth some explanations :-) Why is it that way?

2013-03-12_10-43-37.png (472K) Download Attachment

Esteban wrote:
> Eliot builds will always have the old vm warning, even if they are not old :)...
> you need one of the pharo builds (CogVM, NBCogVM or PharoVM)

Well, Doru reported they crashed. Eliot's one doesn't:
> 15875 run, 15472 passes, 2 skipped, 88 expected failures, 216 failures, 99 errors, 0 unexpected passes

On the other hand, not being able to add a monticello directory repository
is also not helpful. No filedialog is shown (receiver of bitAt: is nil, looks like a problem with
filesystem permissions)

Stephan

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

philippeback
Eliot as a new VM as of yesterday
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2701/README.2701

That kind of fixes things.

But I guess the Pharo team still has to integrate these fixes.

BTW, here is the version string from the Cog VM explaining the "too
old message":

Smalltalk vm version. 'CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.272 uuid:
8f4167f2-5bf0-4d90-9b7f-5355c741c68f Mar 11 2013
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.270 uuid:
014f0153-bb02-49b7-b544-d8f3ac2deef6 Mar 11 2013
VM: r2701 http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog Plugins:
r2545 http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/Cross/plugins
'
Obviously different :-)

Phil

2013/3/12 Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]>:

> Esteban wrote:
>> Eliot builds will always have the old vm warning, even if they are not old :)...
>> you need one of the pharo builds (CogVM, NBCogVM or PharoVM)
>
> Well, Doru reported they crashed. Eliot's one doesn't:
>> 15875 run, 15472 passes, 2 skipped, 88 expected failures, 216 failures, 99 errors, 0 unexpected passes
>
> On the other hand, not being able to add a monticello directory repository
> is also not helpful. No filedialog is shown (receiver of bitAt: is nil, looks like a problem with
> filesystem permissions)
>
> Stephan

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

EstebanLM
We use an automated building method that tries to be exactly the same in each platform. We decided not to create bundles but dylibs because bundles are mac-specific stuff and .dylibs same (but for mac) as .so and .dll.
Our process builds the vm, the plugins and the third party libraries as an all-in-one. Eliot builds are hand made, and when there is a process (like the autotool for unix builds), they are platform-specific.

TL;DR: Is easier for us to build all the vm stuff in an unified way :)

Esteban

On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:49 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eliot's CogVM vs PharoVM on Mac application contents. Quite different.
>
> And worth some explanations :-) Why is it that way?
>
> Phil
>
> 2013/3/12 Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]>:
>>> It would be good to have a parallel job, but the problem is that you will
>>> get a message saying that the VM is too old for the Pharo 2.0 image.
>>
>> I started the latest MOOSE image on Eliots latest VM on mac.
>> It still has the 'old vm' warning.
>> Adding a monticello repository (directory) doesn't work.
>> Tests are still running
>>
>> Stephan
>>

> <2013-03-12_10-43-37.png>

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

philippeback
Thank you very much. It makes a lot of sense doing things the Pharo way.

Now, I have been trying to get the InterpreterSimulator to work in
Pharo but there are some things to fix before being able to do so (one
is to have an image in 6504 format but hey, this is for me learning)
Classes like Utility etc that aren't in the image anymore.

I had a chat with Bert yesterday and he actually helped me get the
Interpreter starting.

t would be nice to have Pharo VMMaker have a working base interpreter
(in Smalltalk, running inside the image I mean).

Maybe should I look at another class, like CogInterpreter?

Phil

Phil wrote:
>Eliot as a new VM as of yesterday
>
>http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2701/README.2701
>
>That kind of fixes things.
>
>But I guess the Pharo team still has to integrate these fixes.

This is with 2701. The Moose image is based on Pharo 20589

Stephan

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

Frank Shearar-3
Also, it looks like the Pharo VM uses only external plugins? The
Squeak VM has a bunch of those plugins, but as internal ones. That's
probably most of the difference Phil's asking about.

frank

On 12 March 2013 09:57, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We use an automated building method that tries to be exactly the same in each platform. We decided not to create bundles but dylibs because bundles are mac-specific stuff and .dylibs same (but for mac) as .so and .dll.
> Our process builds the vm, the plugins and the third party libraries as an all-in-one. Eliot builds are hand made, and when there is a process (like the autotool for unix builds), they are platform-specific.
>
> TL;DR: Is easier for us to build all the vm stuff in an unified way :)
>
> Esteban
>
> On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:49 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Eliot's CogVM vs PharoVM on Mac application contents. Quite different.
>>
>> And worth some explanations :-) Why is it that way?
>>
>> Phil

>>> I started the latest MOOSE image on Eliots latest VM on mac.
>>> It still has the 'old vm' warning.
>>> Adding a monticello repository (directory) doesn't work.
>>> Tests are still running
>>>
>>> Stephan
>>>

>> <2013-03-12_10-43-37.png>

Re: where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)

EstebanLM
not exactly, but yes, some of the plugins that are internal in Eliot's are external for pharo (no real important reason: we decided to put as external as many as possible :)

Esteban

On Mar 12, 2013, at 11:15 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, it looks like the Pharo VM uses only external plugins? The
> Squeak VM has a bunch of those plugins, but as internal ones. That's
> probably most of the difference Phil's asking about.
>
> frank
>
> On 12 March 2013 09:57, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We use an automated building method that tries to be exactly the same in each platform. We decided not to create bundles but dylibs because bundles are mac-specific stuff and .dylibs same (but for mac) as .so and .dll.
>> Our process builds the vm, the plugins and the third party libraries as an all-in-one. Eliot builds are hand made, and when there is a process (like the autotool for unix builds), they are platform-specific.
>>
>> TL;DR: Is easier for us to build all the vm stuff in an unified way :)
>>
>> Esteban
>>
>> On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:49 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Eliot's CogVM vs PharoVM on Mac application contents. Quite different.
>>>
>>> And worth some explanations :-) Why is it that way?
>>>
>>> Phil

>>> <2013-03-12_10-43-37.png>

123