which Shout repository should we use?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks. We should discuss which Shout repository to use for the PharoDev image. Some months ago we had the same problem...which OB repository to took? the one from squeaksource or Lukas's one. We chose Lukas's one because he maintained it. Now we have the same situation with Shout. There is the SS (http://www.squeaksource.com/shout) repo for it, and Lukas' one (http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/unsorted) in his own repo.

Now...we have 3 options:

1) Start to use Lukas' one. For that, I have to update ConfigurationOfShout and start using that repo.

2) Continue to use the SS one but...someone needs to merge lukas fixes from his repo to the SS repo. I don't have time to do this.

So....what do we do?

As an example, Lukas committed today all the removal to Preferences, something that is needed for Pharo 1.2.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: which Shout repository should we use?

Stéphane Ducasse
this is a good question.
for now I would just update the configuration to point for the repo of lukas :)

Stef

That's only 2 options Mariano :)

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Now...we have 3 options:
>
> 1) Start to use Lukas' one. For that, I have to update
> ConfigurationOfShout
> and start using that repo.
>
> 2) Continue to use the SS one but...someone needs to merge lukas fixes
> from
> his repo to the SS repo. I don't have time to do this.
>
> So....what do we do?

That's only 2 options Mariano :)

hahahahha it alwasys happens that to me...I add or remove items from my original list and I forget to update ;)

BTW....other opinions?  Lukas? the rest?

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
this is a good question.
for now I would just update the configuration to point for the repo of lukas :)

But now for example, I need to remove the style instVar in PluggableShoutMorph because in Pharo 1.2 it has already such instVar.
But I don't know if I can commit or if Lukas would integrate such change in his repo beacuse that will break Shout to load in Pharo 1.1 (the image he uses)

so... lukas what do you think we should do?

Thanks

Mariano

Stef

On Aug 15, 2010, at 5:59 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi folks. We should discuss which Shout repository to use for the PharoDev image. Some months ago we had the same problem...which OB repository to took? the one from squeaksource or Lukas's one. We chose Lukas's one because he maintained it. Now we have the same situation with Shout. There is the SS (http://www.squeaksource.com/shout) repo for it, and Lukas' one (http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/unsorted) in his own repo.
>
> Now...we have 3 options:
>
> 1) Start to use Lukas' one. For that, I have to update ConfigurationOfShout and start using that repo.
>
> 2) Continue to use the SS one but...someone needs to merge lukas fixes from his repo to the SS repo. I don't have time to do this.
>
> So....what do we do?
>
> As an example, Lukas committed today all the removal to Preferences, something that is needed for Pharo 1.2.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: which Shout repository should we use?

Lukas Renggli
2010/8/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> this is a good question.
>> for now I would just update the configuration to point for the repo of
>> lukas :)
>
> But now for example, I need to remove the style instVar in
> PluggableShoutMorph because in Pharo 1.2 it has already such instVar.
> But I don't know if I can commit or if Lukas would integrate such change in
> his repo beacuse that will break Shout to load in Pharo 1.1 (the image he
> uses)

I will fix it as soon as the PharoCore 1.2 release candidate is out
and I am able to use the image.

> so... lukas what do you think we should do?

So either fix it in Pharo or create your own 'temporary' version of
Shout in the repository where you keep all the versions for building
the images.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: which Shout repository should we use?

Tudor Girba
But, a simple instance variable rename would solve the problem for
now. Why is that not good enough now and then remove it later?

Cheers,
Doru

On 16 Aug 2010, at 18:25, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> 2010/8/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> this is a good question.
>>> for now I would just update the configuration to point for the
>>> repo of
>>> lukas :)
>>
>> But now for example, I need to remove the style instVar in
>> PluggableShoutMorph because in Pharo 1.2 it has already such instVar.
>> But I don't know if I can commit or if Lukas would integrate such
>> change in
>> his repo beacuse that will break Shout to load in Pharo 1.1 (the
>> image he
>> uses)
>
> I will fix it as soon as the PharoCore 1.2 release candidate is out
> and I am able to use the image.
>
>> so... lukas what do you think we should do?
>
> So either fix it in Pharo or create your own 'temporary' version of
> Shout in the repository where you keep all the versions for building
> the images.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

www.tudorgirba.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: which Shout repository should we use?

Stéphane Ducasse
I thought that configurationOf what exactly to solve this kind of problem: using two different branches for to different distribution

Stef

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
But, a simple instance variable rename would solve the problem for now. Why is that not good enough now and then remove it later?

Yes, that's good enough. My question was more general than this particular situation. I wanted to discuss which repository Pharo official images should use.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

this is a good question.
for now I would just update the configuration to point for the repo of
lukas :)

But now for example, I need to remove the style instVar in
PluggableShoutMorph because in Pharo 1.2 it has already such instVar.
But I don't know if I can commit or if Lukas would integrate such change in
his repo beacuse that will break Shout to load in Pharo 1.1 (the image he
uses)

I will fix it as soon as the PharoCore 1.2 release candidate is out
and I am able to use the image.

so... lukas what do you think we should do?

So either fix it in Pharo or create your own 'temporary' version of
Shout in the repository where you keep all the versions for building
the images.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

www.tudorgirba.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: which Shout repository should we use?

Stéphane Ducasse
> Yes, that's good enough. My question was more general than this particular situation. I wanted to discuss which repository Pharo official images should use.

why can't we use a configurationOfXX based on a pharoShout folder
With Gofer we can script the pull from repositories.

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 16 Aug 2010, at 18:25, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
> 2010/8/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> this is a good question.
> for now I would just update the configuration to point for the repo of
> lukas :)
>
> But now for example, I need to remove the style instVar in
> PluggableShoutMorph because in Pharo 1.2 it has already such instVar.
> But I don't know if I can commit or if Lukas would integrate such change in
> his repo beacuse that will break Shout to load in Pharo 1.1 (the image he
> uses)
>
> I will fix it as soon as the PharoCore 1.2 release candidate is out
> and I am able to use the image.
>
> so... lukas what do you think we should do?
>
> So either fix it in Pharo or create your own 'temporary' version of
> Shout in the repository where you keep all the versions for building
> the images.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: which Shout repository should we use?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Lukas if we will use "your" Shout repository for the Dev images....I think it would be nice (and not difficult to do) to have them in its own repository and not in "unsorted".

Thanks

mariano

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, that's good enough. My question was more general than this particular situation. I wanted to discuss which repository Pharo official images should use.

why can't we use a configurationOfXX based on a pharoShout folder
With Gofer we can script the pull from repositories.

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 16 Aug 2010, at 18:25, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
> 2010/8/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> this is a good question.
> for now I would just update the configuration to point for the repo of
> lukas :)
>
> But now for example, I need to remove the style instVar in
> PluggableShoutMorph because in Pharo 1.2 it has already such instVar.
> But I don't know if I can commit or if Lukas would integrate such change in
> his repo beacuse that will break Shout to load in Pharo 1.1 (the image he
> uses)
>
> I will fix it as soon as the PharoCore 1.2 release candidate is out
> and I am able to use the image.
>
> so... lukas what do you think we should do?
>
> So either fix it in Pharo or create your own 'temporary' version of
> Shout in the repository where you keep all the versions for building
> the images.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: which Shout repository should we use?

Lukas Renggli
I thought I pushed my changes all to the official repos, no?

Lukas

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I thought I pushed my changes all to the official repos, no?

yep....sorry for the noise. Thanks lukas