which version of smalltalk to use: educational

which version of smalltalk to use: educational

Mhg1230
Hello, I wish to ask several questions about Smalltalk, and which version would
be best for students. I know there are several starter (i.e. free trial)
versions,
including squeak, dolphin, and visual-age. My question is, which version would
be best suited for teaching students that are not that old. It will be on the
Windows
platform, and I'm looking for ease of use, ease of learning and I would
probably need
some beginner tutorials and whatnot. I was wondering if someone could say which
one would be best?

My next question was, setting aside the above, which version would be the best
for a person trying to find a job? I was assuming IBM Visual-Age, just because
its
IBM. I am not sure, and do not even know the state of the SmallTalk job market.
Could anyone comment on this question?

Any comments that anyone could  post would be most appreciated. Thank you.

p.s. I know this is the dolphin newsgroup, but maybe dolphin would be the
better one for learning, while va or another version would be best in the
business world (for job availability)---or maybe its the other way around. This
is why I am seeking your opinoins. Please excuse my English Grammar.

Re: which version of smalltalk to use: educational

ted.bracht
Hi,

I would definitely recommend using Dolphin as the version to learn
Smalltalk, especially if you're focusing on Windows. To me Dolphin brings
developing in Smalltalk from ease of use point of view to the level of
Visual Basic. From all other points of view of course not!

I wish I could say that Dolphin is also the best environment to find a job,
but unfortunately that is not true. As you suggested yourself, IBM VA is
big, but probably even bigger in the job market is Cincom Visual Works. But
those two probably cover 80% or more of the job market

Hope this helps,

Ted

news:[hidden email]...