who is maintaining shout?

Torsten Bergmann
Stef wrote
>Because I would like to change the default color of comments.
>Green is really ugly for the release.

Please no! This is subject to personal taste.

In most text editors and IDE's I know the comments are always
green by default independent from language.

So I would keep it since this is what is common in developer
tools. If you want you can have your own. So shout is already
what most users may expect. Please keep it.

See

C/C++ Eclipse   http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/e/eclipse_ide_for_c-c++_developers-133195-1.jpeg
C/C++ VStudio   http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/4/OptimizeUtilities/51119text-editor-pro-screenshot.jpg
PHP Antechius   http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/7/HelpfileTools/37086phpedscreen.jpg
JavaScript      http://assets.devx.com/articlefigs/19100.png
Java Eclipse    http://www.oio.de/public/opensource/eclipse/eclipse_editor.jpg
C# Eclipse      http://emonic.sourceforge.net/html/CSharpEditorWithCompletion.jpg
VB SharpDevelop http://www.borncity.de/Net/Img/SharpDevelop.jpg

Bye
T.

Re: who is maintaining shout?

Peter Hugosson-Miller
I absolutely agree with Torsten. Here's one I made myself for VaSt, and I've been using it for 8 years now:

PehuTextEnhancer.png

Note (whatever you might think of all the other fonts and colours) that the comments are green ;-)

Peter

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stef wrote
>Because I would like to change the default color of comments.
>Green is really ugly for the release.

Please no! This is subject to personal taste.

In most text editors and IDE's I know the comments are always
green by default independent from language.

So I would keep it since this is what is common in developer
tools. If you want you can have your own. So shout is already
what most users may expect. Please keep it.

See

C/C++ Eclipse   http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/e/eclipse_ide_for_c-c++_developers-133195-1.jpeg
C/C++ VStudio   http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/4/OptimizeUtilities/51119text-editor-pro-screenshot.jpg
PHP Antechius   http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/7/HelpfileTools/37086phpedscreen.jpg
JavaScript      http://assets.devx.com/articlefigs/19100.png
Java Eclipse    http://www.oio.de/public/opensource/eclipse/eclipse_editor.jpg
C# Eclipse      http://emonic.sourceforge.net/html/CSharpEditorWithCompletion.jpg
VB SharpDevelop http://www.borncity.de/Net/Img/SharpDevelop.jpg

Bye
T.

Re: who is maintaining shout?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I've pretty much grown to accept green for comments too.  What I really want to see is a way to change the background color, though the current values should be the default.

Bill

>Because I would like to change the default color of comments.
>Green is really ugly for the release.

Please no! This is subject to personal taste.

In most text editors and IDE's I know the comments are always green by default independent from language.

So I would keep it since this is what is common in developer tools. If you want you can have your own. So shout is already what most users may expect. Please keep it.

See

C/C++ Eclipse   http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/e/eclipse_ide_for_c-c++_developers-133195-1.jpeg
C/C++ VStudio   http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/4/OptimizeUtilities/51119text-editor-pro-screenshot.jpg
PHP Antechius   http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/7/HelpfileTools/37086phpedscreen.jpg
JavaScript      http://assets.devx.com/articlefigs/19100.png
Java Eclipse    http://www.oio.de/public/opensource/eclipse/eclipse_editor.jpg
C# Eclipse      http://emonic.sourceforge.net/html/CSharpEditorWithCompletion.jpg
VB SharpDevelop http://www.borncity.de/Net/Img/SharpDevelop.jpg

Bye
T.

Re: who is maintaining shout?

Ok but this looks terrible. This is good like that we are sure that one day a guy not knowing anything
will propose something mucccccch better. What ugly convention. And also nobody ever worked with daltonian apparently
because green for comments means nothing.

Anyway I'm happy not to use Shout when I code in core. Else this would be first things I would have change.
Now may be Shout could be improve to not force the user to recompile a method all the time.
So I will check if this is working and make sure that as a user I can specify an array of spec and not been forced to dirty
a package all the time.

Stef

On Apr 7, 2010, at 5:34 PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

> I absolutely agree with Torsten. Here's one I made myself for VaSt, and I've been using it for 8 years now:
>
> <PehuTextEnhancer.png>
>
> Note (whatever you might think of all the other fonts and colours) that the comments are green ;-)

> Peter
>
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stef wrote
> >Because I would like to change the default color of comments.
> >Green is really ugly for the release.
>
> Please no! This is subject to personal taste.
>
> In most text editors and IDE's I know the comments are always
> green by default independent from language.
>
> So I would keep it since this is what is common in developer
> tools. If you want you can have your own. So shout is already
> what most users may expect. Please keep it.
>
> See
>
> C/C++ Eclipse   http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/e/eclipse_ide_for_c-c++_developers-133195-1.jpeg
> C/C++ VStudio   http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/4/OptimizeUtilities/51119text-editor-pro-screenshot.jpg
> PHP Antechius   http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/7/HelpfileTools/37086phpedscreen.jpg
> JavaScript      http://assets.devx.com/articlefigs/19100.png
> Java Eclipse    http://www.oio.de/public/opensource/eclipse/eclipse_editor.jpg
> C# Eclipse      http://emonic.sourceforge.net/html/CSharpEditorWithCompletion.jpg
> VB SharpDevelop http://www.borncity.de/Net/Img/SharpDevelop.jpg
>
> Bye
> T.

Re: who is maintaining shout?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok but this looks terrible. This is good like that we are sure that one day a guy not knowing anything
will propose something mucccccch better. What ugly convention. And also nobody ever worked with daltonian apparently
because green for comments means nothing.

Anyway I'm happy not to use Shout when I code in core. Else this would be first things I would have change.
Now may be Shout could be improve to not force the user to recompile a method all the time.
So I will check if this is working and make sure that as a user I can specify an array of spec and not been forced to dirty
a package all the time.

Maybe add a new Setting for Shout for Pharo 1.1 ?

Stef

On Apr 7, 2010, at 5:34 PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

> I absolutely agree with Torsten. Here's one I made myself for VaSt, and I've been using it for 8 years now:
>
> <PehuTextEnhancer.png>
>
> Note (whatever you might think of all the other fonts and colours) that the comments are green ;-)

> Peter
>
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stef wrote
> >Because I would like to change the default color of comments.
> >Green is really ugly for the release.
>
> Please no! This is subject to personal taste.
>
> In most text editors and IDE's I know the comments are always
> green by default independent from language.
>
> So I would keep it since this is what is common in developer
> tools. If you want you can have your own. So shout is already
> what most users may expect. Please keep it.
>
> See
>
> C/C++ Eclipse   http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/e/eclipse_ide_for_c-c++_developers-133195-1.jpeg
> C/C++ VStudio   http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/4/OptimizeUtilities/51119text-editor-pro-screenshot.jpg
> PHP Antechius   http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/7/HelpfileTools/37086phpedscreen.jpg
> JavaScript      http://assets.devx.com/articlefigs/19100.png
> Java Eclipse    http://www.oio.de/public/opensource/eclipse/eclipse_editor.jpg
> C# Eclipse      http://emonic.sourceforge.net/html/CSharpEditorWithCompletion.jpg
> VB SharpDevelop http://www.borncity.de/Net/Img/SharpDevelop.jpg
>
> Bye
> T.

Re: who is maintaining shout?

Lukas Renggli
> Maybe add a new Setting for Shout for Pharo 1.1 ?

Yeah, but it is difficult because the code is built around these
specification arrays.

You can already today change the settings without touching the code
(in a load script for example):

    SHTextStylerST80 styleTable: #( (comment ( green ) ... )

Lukas

>> Stef
>>
>> On Apr 7, 2010, at 5:34 PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:
>>
>> > I absolutely agree with Torsten. Here's one I made myself for VaSt, and
>> > I've been using it for 8 years now:
>> >
>> > <PehuTextEnhancer.png>
>> >
>> > Note (whatever you might think of all the other fonts and colours) that
>> > the comments are green ;-)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Cheers,
>> > Peter
>> >
>> > On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Stef wrote
>> >
>> > Please no! This is subject to personal taste.
>> >
>> > In most text editors and IDE's I know the comments are always
>> > green by default independent from language.
>> >
>> > So I would keep it since this is what is common in developer
>> > tools. If you want you can have your own. So shout is already
>> > what most users may expect. Please keep it.
>> >
>> > See
>> >
>> > C/C++ Eclipse
>> > http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/e/eclipse_ide_for_c-c++_developers-133195-1.jpeg
>> > C/C++ VStudio
>> > http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/4/OptimizeUtilities/51119text-editor-pro-screenshot.jpg
>> > PHP Antechius
>> > http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/7/HelpfileTools/37086phpedscreen.jpg
>> > JavaScript      http://assets.devx.com/articlefigs/19100.png
>> > Java Eclipse
>> >  http://www.oio.de/public/opensource/eclipse/eclipse_editor.jpg
>> > C# Eclipse
>> >  http://emonic.sourceforge.net/html/CSharpEditorWithCompletion.jpg
>> > VB SharpDevelop http://www.borncity.de/Net/Img/SharpDevelop.jpg
>> >
>> > Bye
>> > T.
>> >

>> > --
>> > GRATIS für alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!
>> > Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome01

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: who is maintaining shout?

Eliot Miranda-2
Personally I don't mind having the preference in code.  Its nice to be able to see what one's settings are in the patch browser.  What I mind is the lack of support for temporarily rescinding my change to the method when I commit the monticello package.  Yes I can save the image, revert, commit, exit, restart and merge, but that's a RR PITA.  Yes I can file-out, revert, commit, file back in.  That's much better but still a PITA.  Acceptable is to view changes to the package (a Patch Browser), open versions on the method(s) I want to revert, revert in the changed list, commit and then revert.

What would be really nice would be a per-method temporary revert check mark in the patch browser, and a commit button in the patch browser that applied the reversions, spawned the save, waiting for it to complete or be closed, and the undid the reversions.  Almost as nice would be three buttons, revert checked, save and unrevert checked.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe add a new Setting for Shout for Pharo 1.1 ?

Yeah, but it is difficult because the code is built around these
specification arrays.

You can already today change the settings without touching the code
(in a load script for example):

   SHTextStylerST80 styleTable: #( (comment ( green ) ... )

Lukas

>> Stef
>>
>> On Apr 7, 2010, at 5:34 PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:
>>
>> > I absolutely agree with Torsten. Here's one I made myself for VaSt, and
>> > I've been using it for 8 years now:
>> >
>> > <PehuTextEnhancer.png>
>> >
>> > Note (whatever you might think of all the other fonts and colours) that
>> > the comments are green ;-)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Cheers,
>> > Peter
>> >
>> > On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Stef wrote
>> >
>> > Please no! This is subject to personal taste.
>> >
>> > In most text editors and IDE's I know the comments are always
>> > green by default independent from language.
>> >
>> > So I would keep it since this is what is common in developer
>> > tools. If you want you can have your own. So shout is already
>> > what most users may expect. Please keep it.
>> >
>> > See
>> >
>> > C/C++ Eclipse
>> > http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/e/eclipse_ide_for_c-c++_developers-133195-1.jpeg
>> > C/C++ VStudio
>> > http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/4/OptimizeUtilities/51119text-editor-pro-screenshot.jpg
>> > PHP Antechius
>> > http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi/7/HelpfileTools/37086phpedscreen.jpg
>> > JavaScript      http://assets.devx.com/articlefigs/19100.png
>> > Java Eclipse
>> >  http://www.oio.de/public/opensource/eclipse/eclipse_editor.jpg
>> > C# Eclipse
>> >  http://emonic.sourceforge.net/html/CSharpEditorWithCompletion.jpg
>> > VB SharpDevelop http://www.borncity.de/Net/Img/SharpDevelop.jpg
>> >
>> > Bye
>> > T.
>> >

>> > --
>> > GRATIS für alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!
>> > Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome01

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: who is maintaining shout?