why FileDirectory sucks

12

why FileDirectory sucks

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

we should really consider to have an alternate (may be building on /
rewriting part of RIO)
but FileDirectory sucks.

I have a file

        FileDirectory default

and now I want to get two levels up.

Well after 20 min looking around I could not find a way.
I'm probably too stupid for squeak arcane logic.

Smalltalk deserves a better library for file. What a crap this stuff.

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Lukas Renggli
> Well after 20 min looking around I could not find a way.
> I'm probably too stupid for squeak arcane logic.

      FileDirectory default containingDirectory containingDirectory

Yes, it took me a long time to find out the first time.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Lukas Renggli
> Smalltalk deserves a better library for file. What a crap this stuff.

The problem is that a good platform independent library is not a
trivial thing. Also from the architectural point of view this is a
rather difficult problem. The biggest problem is though that the
primitives where everything is built upon are arcane too.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

One approach might be to use the #fullName and #pathNameDelimiter to create a collection of parent directories.  Also see #pathParts, but that is probably not quite what you want, because it focuses on the names, but #do:separatedBy: could help correct that.

So far, I have created some simple helper methods that will allow myriad senders in my Dolphin code to (hopefully) continue to work under Pharo.  However, Dolphin has a Windows-only bias and Pharo needs to work with various conventions, so the "correct" abstraction for directory naming will have to be different from Dolphin's.

Should there be a #, for concatenation?  #parent to move up, with obvious caveat of throwing an exception?

Bill

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Yikes!!!! :)  Anybody else for #parent or #up as a helper?

> Well after 20 min looking around I could not find a way.
> I'm probably too stupid for squeak arcane logic.

      FileDirectory default containingDirectory containingDirectory

Yes, it took me a long time to find out the first time.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Schwab,Wilhelm K
One thing that seems to be missing is a good abstraction of relative paths, and some type of #, message to allow relative ones to be tacked onto full ones (FileDirectory etc.)??

Bill

> Smalltalk deserves a better library for file. What a crap this stuff.

The problem is that a good platform independent library is not a trivial thing. Also from the architectural point of view this is a rather difficult problem. The biggest problem is though that the primitives where everything is built upon are arcane too.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Stephen Pair
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys

we should really consider to have an alternate (may be building on /
rewriting part of RIO)
but FileDirectory sucks.

I have a file

       FileDirectory default

and now I want to get two levels up.

Well after 20 min looking around I could not find a way.
I'm probably too stupid for squeak arcane logic.

Smalltalk deserves a better library for file. What a crap this stuff.

Stef

LoL...how many years did it take you to come to this conclusion?  Anyway, if anyone does take up the job of rewriting the file system interface, I have a suggestion based on some recent stuff we've done here at work.  We wanted a way of running test cases for code that uses the file system, but we didn't want to actually use the file system (for speed...when you run many thousands of test cases, hitting the disk can really slow things down).  We wanted to substitute an in memory simulation of a file system.  We had to go to great lengths to accomplish this (in VisualWorks).  It would be really cool if things like filenames and directories didn't make assumptions about the file system with which they are used (so that you could have filenames for in memory file systems, or filenames for other file systems that one might connect with in ways other than the built in local file system primitives).

- Stephen

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Cameron Sanders-3

On Jul 1, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Stephen Pair wrote:

[...]

A related notion, but a tangent (and then returning to the above thread)...

One thing I did in Java (in 2001) and Python (later) --and have been considering doing in my current smalltalk code base-- was to create "Accessors" to access relational DB's, directory based files, and memory-based 2d-tables in a generic fashion. An Accessor, as I defined it, looked a lot like a combo of a DB connection and results set.

The file-based Accessors were opened on a directory as the DB, where the files were tables (and those could be read or written in several formats: CSV, tab-delimited, etc.), and subdirectories were treated like tables of Blobs; another variant allowed an accessor to be opened on a directory as if it were bound to a specific table, and so the directory looked like a table of Blobs. Obviously, any level of complexity, and "auto" handling of file types is possible. (And I am not describing what I did well, there was symmetry and a recursive nature... and I'm too lazy to look and detail it right now; instead my goal is just to kick some ideas out.)

Obviously the Accessors allowed me to ignore the data source.  I keep puzzling that I have not encountered this type of thing elsewhere.

And back to the main topic here... aren't URL's fairly well generalized? Are they not the right way to fully generalize locations?

-cam

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

johnmci
Well actually in Sophie we used URI   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URI
*hint* all that code is MIT

By using relative URI then asking for the read or readwrite stream
later we could build URI constructs that referred to disk, to a server
in the cloud, to memory.

Oh and let's not forget the Squeak file primitive  logic  is *so*
crippled that asking if a file exists either means opening the file,
or iterating over N files in your
directory to confirm it exists.  Again for Sophie we added a FFI call
to see if the operating system would tell us if the file existed.

So I'd suggest one thinks about reusing the URI logic

PS we also went to great pains to ensure the URI got encoded correctly
so unicode aware file systems actually would end up with the proper
characters.

On 1-Jul-09, at 10:28 AM, Stephen Pair wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> we should really consider to have an alternate (may be building on /
> rewriting part of RIO)
> but FileDirectory sucks.
>
> I have a file
>
>        FileDirectory default
>
> and now I want to get two levels up.
>
> Well after 20 min looking around I could not find a way.
> I'm probably too stupid for squeak arcane logic.
>
> Smalltalk deserves a better library for file. What a crap this stuff.
>
> Stef
>
> LoL...how many years did it take you to come to this conclusion?
> Anyway, if anyone does take up the job of rewriting the file system
> interface, I have a suggestion based on some recent stuff we've done
> here at work.  We wanted a way of running test cases for code that
> uses the file system, but we didn't want to actually use the file
> system (for speed...when you run many thousands of test cases,
> hitting the disk can really slow things down).  We wanted to
> substitute an in memory simulation of a file system.  We had to go
> to great lengths to accomplish this (in VisualWorks).  It would be
> really cool if things like filenames and directories didn't make
> assumptions about the file system with which they are used (so that
> you could have filenames for in memory file systems, or filenames
> for other file systems that one might connect with in ways other
> than the built in local file system primitives).
>
> - Stephen

=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
squeaker68882
=
=
=

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Stephen Pair

2009/7/1 Cameron Sanders <[hidden email]>
And back to the main topic here... aren't URL's fairly well generalized? Are they not the right way to fully generalize locations?

Yes, I think they are, our code just has a lot of legacy use of Filename (in VW).  But I think there are still some pitfalls with URIs...one that I can think if is having a good means of efficiently reusing connections as you interact with a URI and still keep your client code blissfully unaware of where the actual data associated with the URI is coming from.  That can get tricky especially as you consider that some connections aren't stateless (like FTP connections).

- Stephen

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Michael Rueger-6
Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> One thing that seems to be missing is a good abstraction of relative
> paths, and some type of #, message to allow relative ones to be
> tacked onto full ones (FileDirectory etc.)??

In Sophie and to an even larger extent in an experimental fork I based
everything on URIs using resolveRelativePath: where needed. The
resolving rules for URIs are well spec'ed and deal with both relative
and absolute paths.
Platform specific path strings are created only when needed.

Michael

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Michael Rueger-6
Stephen Pair wrote:

> accomplish this (in VisualWorks).  It would be really cool if things
> like filenames and directories didn't make assumptions about the file
> system with which they are used (so that you could have filenames for in
> memory file systems, or filenames for other file systems that one might
> connect with in ways other than the built in local file system primitives).

broken record... ;-)

...use URIs :-)

Then send things like stream, writeStream etc to the URI and have the
scheme dispatch resolve the rest.

Michael

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Igor Stasenko
2009/7/1 Michael Rueger <[hidden email]>:

> Stephen Pair wrote:
>
>> accomplish this (in VisualWorks).  It would be really cool if things
>> like filenames and directories didn't make assumptions about the file
>> system with which they are used (so that you could have filenames for in
>> memory file systems, or filenames for other file systems that one might
>> connect with in ways other than the built in local file system primitives).
>
> broken record... ;-)
>
> ...use URIs :-)

how then i could write a 'FileDirectory default' in terms of URIs?
'file://.' asURI ?

> Then send things like stream, writeStream etc to the URI and have the
> scheme dispatch resolve the rest.
>
> Michael

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Michael Rueger-6
Igor Stasenko wrote:

> how then i could write a 'FileDirectory default' in terms of URIs?
> 'file://.' asURI ?

No, you would still write FileDirectory default :-)

But then you would do something like

(FileDirectory default uri resolveRelativePath: 'myDir/images') directory

I know, doesn't look to elegant, but it's of context you rarely really
work with directories, but rather paths.

Also take into account the FileLocations package which gives you calls
for userDataURI, tempURI etc, allowing to transparently integrate with
you platform specific paths.

Michael

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

On Jul 1, 2009, at 7:10 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Smalltalk deserves a better library for file. What a crap this stuff.
>
> The problem is that a good platform independent library is not a
> trivial thing. Also from the architectural point of view this is a
> rather difficult problem. The biggest problem is though that the
> primitives where everything is built upon are arcane too.

Yes. I know.
Thanks for the containerDirectory. I ended up cutting string .... grgr

> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

:)

Yes!

On Jul 1, 2009, at 7:18 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Yikes!!!! :)  Anybody else for #parent or #up as a helper?

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

On Jul 1, 2009, at 7:28 PM, Stephen Pair wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> we should really consider to have an alternate (may be building on /
> rewriting part of RIO)
> but FileDirectory sucks.
>
> I have a file
>
>        FileDirectory default
>
> and now I want to get two levels up.
>
> Well after 20 min looking around I could not find a way.
> I'm probably too stupid for squeak arcane logic.
>
> Smalltalk deserves a better library for file. What a crap this stuff.
>
> Stef
>
> LoL...how many years did it take you to come to this conclusion?

No I knew it. I just got burned regularly.

>  Anyway, if anyone does take up the job of rewriting the file system
> interface, I have a suggestion based on some recent stuff we've done
> here at work.  We wanted a way of running test cases for code that
> uses the file system, but we didn't want to actually use the file
> system (for speed...when you run many thousands of test cases,
> hitting the disk can really slow things down).  We wanted to
> substitute an in memory simulation of a file system.  We had to go
> to great lengths to accomplish this (in VisualWorks).  It would be
> really cool if things like filenames and directories didn't make
> assumptions about the file system with which they are used (so that
> you could have filenames for in memory file systems, or filenames
> for other file systems that one might connect with in ways other
> than the built in local file system primitives).

nice idea.

> - Stephen

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

> Well actually in Sophie we used URI   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URI
> *hint* all that code is MIT

I know I just did not find time....
Good I do not know why a moment I thought that the sophie license was
different.

> By using relative URI then asking for the read or readwrite stream
> later we could build URI constructs that referred to disk, to a server
> in the cloud, to memory.
>
> Oh and let's not forget the Squeak file primitive  logic  is *so*
> crippled that asking if a file exists either means opening the file,
> or iterating over N files in your
> directory to confirm it exists.  Again for Sophie we added a FFI call
> to see if the operating system would tell us if the file existed.
>
> So I'd suggest one thinks about reusing the URI logic
>
> PS we also went to great pains to ensure the URI got encoded correctly
> so unicode aware file systems actually would end up with the proper
> characters.

this is on my radar but it is full.

> On 1-Jul-09, at 10:28 AM, Stephen Pair wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> we should really consider to have an alternate (may be building on /
>> rewriting part of RIO)
>> but FileDirectory sucks.
>>
>> I have a file
>>
>>       FileDirectory default
>>
>> and now I want to get two levels up.
>>
>> Well after 20 min looking around I could not find a way.
>> I'm probably too stupid for squeak arcane logic.
>>
>> Smalltalk deserves a better library for file. What a crap this stuff.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> LoL...how many years did it take you to come to this conclusion?
>> Anyway, if anyone does take up the job of rewriting the file system
>> interface, I have a suggestion based on some recent stuff we've done
>> here at work.  We wanted a way of running test cases for code that
>> uses the file system, but we didn't want to actually use the file
>> system (for speed...when you run many thousands of test cases,
>> hitting the disk can really slow things down).  We wanted to
>> substitute an in memory simulation of a file system.  We had to go
>> to great lengths to accomplish this (in VisualWorks).  It would be
>> really cool if things like filenames and directories didn't make
>> assumptions about the file system with which they are used (so that
>> you could have filenames for in memory file systems, or filenames
>> for other file systems that one might connect with in ways other
>> than the built in local file system primitives).
>>
>> - Stephen

> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
> squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Ok I also like some parts of the rio api.
Arg too much to do.

Stef

On Jul 1, 2009, at 11:32 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> how then i could write a 'FileDirectory default' in terms of URIs?
>> 'file://.' asURI ?
>
> No, you would still write FileDirectory default :-)
>
> But then you would do something like
>
> (FileDirectory default uri resolveRelativePath: 'myDir/images')
> directory
>
> I know, doesn't look to elegant, but it's of context you rarely really
> work with directories, but rather paths.
>
> Also take into account the FileLocations package which gives you calls
> for userDataURI, tempURI etc, allowing to transparently integrate with
> you platform specific paths.
>
> Michael

Re: why FileDirectory sucks

Stephen Pair

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Igor Stasenko wrote:

> how then i could write a 'FileDirectory default' in terms of URIs?
> 'file://.' asURI ?

No, you would still write FileDirectory default :-)

But then you would do something like

(FileDirectory default uri resolveRelativePath: 'myDir/images') directory

I think I would obliterate FileDirectory and write something more like "FileSystem default defaultDirectory", which would answer a URI.

- Stephen

12