why Glamour configuration is loading Refactoring and all the rest?

why Glamour configuration is loading Refactoring and all the rest?

Re: why Glamour configuration is loading Refactoring and all the rest?

Tudor Girba
Glamour is loading Magritte which loads Grease which loads the RB. Is this a problem?

Doru

Re: why Glamour configuration is loading Refactoring and all the rest?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Glamour is loading Magritte which loads Grease which loads the RB. Is this a problem?

Seeing completely from outside and without knowing anything, I don't understand why Grease, as a compatible layer framework (or whatever it is) should load RB by default.

Cheers

Mariano

Doru

Re: why Glamour configuration is loading Refactoring and all the rest?

Stéphane Ducasse
+1

On May 27, 2010, at 2:58 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Glamour is loading Magritte which loads Grease which loads the RB. Is this a problem?
>
> Seeing completely from outside and without knowing anything, I don't understand why Grease, as a compatible layer framework (or whatever it is) should load RB by default.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> Doru

Re: why Glamour configuration is loading Refactoring and all the rest?

Tudor Girba
I do not know. This is what the ConfigurationOfGrease says:

ConfigurationOfGrease>>version10alpha91: spec
        spec project: 'Refactoring-Core' with: '1.3'.

Cheers,
Doru

On 27 May 2010, at 18:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> +1
>
> On May 27, 2010, at 2:58 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Tudor Girba
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Glamour is loading Magritte which loads Grease which loads the RB.
>> Is this a problem?
>>
>> Seeing completely from outside and without knowing anything, I
>> don't understand why Grease, as a compatible layer framework (or
>> whatever it is) should load RB by default.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> Doru
>>

>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:

www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: why Glamour configuration is loading Refactoring and all the rest?

Dale Henrichs
Mariano,

Refactoring-Core is used by SLIME and SLIME is unconditionally loaded
for Seaside3.0 ... I think that for at least the short term it was
decided that loading _ALL_ of Seaside3.0 was better than having folks
random pieces ... by default Magritte2 loads Magritte-Seaside which
pulls in the whole enchilada.

You can just arrange to have just Magritte-Model loaded (without
Magritte-Seaside) by just loading #('Magritte-Model')...

Dale

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> dale?
>
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> I do not know. This is what the ConfigurationOfGrease says:
>

> ConfigurationOfGrease>>version10alpha91: spec
>        spec project: 'Refactoring-Core' with: '1.3'.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 27 May 2010, at 18:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> +1
>
> On May 27, 2010, at 2:58 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Glamour is loading Magritte which loads Grease which loads the RB. Is this a problem?
>
> Seeing completely from outside and without knowing anything, I don't understand why Grease, as a compatible layer framework (or whatever it is) should load RB by default.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> Doru
>

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

> www.tudorgirba.com<http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: why Glamour configuration is loading Refactoring and all the rest?

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I am loading explicitly Magritte (not through the
ConfigurationOfMagritte), but it looks like it needs Grease, and for
that I used ConfigurationOfGrease.

The question was why is Grease loading RB-Core?

Cheers,
Doru

On 28 May 2010, at 02:16, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Mariano,
>
> Refactoring-Core is used by SLIME and SLIME is unconditionally
> loaded for Seaside3.0 ... I think that for at least the short term
> it was decided that loading _ALL_ of Seaside3.0 was better than
> having folks random pieces ... by default Magritte2 loads Magritte-
> Seaside which pulls in the whole enchilada.
>
> You can just arrange to have just Magritte-Model loaded (without
> Magritte-Seaside) by just loading #('Magritte-Model')...
>
> Dale
>
> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>> dale?
>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]
>> I do not know. This is what the ConfigurationOfGrease says:
>> ConfigurationOfGrease>>version10alpha91: spec
>>       spec project: 'Refactoring-Core' with: '1.3'.
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>> On 27 May 2010, at 18:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> +1
>> On May 27, 2010, at 2:58 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Tudor Girba
>> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> Glamour is loading Magritte which loads Grease which loads the RB.
>> Is this a problem?
>> Seeing completely from outside and without knowing anything, I
>> don't understand why Grease, as a compatible layer framework (or
>> whatever it is) should load RB by default.
>> Cheers
>> Mariano
>> Doru
>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>> you will end up with a messy haircut."

www.tudorgirba.com

"There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

Re: [Seaside] Re: Re: why Glamour configuration is loading Refactoring and all the rest?

Julian Fitzell-2
Yeah, clearly you should not *have* to load Slime. Nor should you have
to load the Seaside development tools, examples, etc... The Monticello
configs need a few more groups I guess.

Julian

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am loading explicitly Magritte (not through the ConfigurationOfMagritte),
> but it looks like it needs Grease, and for that I used
> ConfigurationOfGrease.
>
> The question was why is Grease loading RB-Core?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 28 May 2010, at 02:16, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> Mariano,
>>
>> Refactoring-Core is used by SLIME and SLIME is unconditionally loaded for
>> Seaside3.0 ... I think that for at least the short term it was decided that
>> by default Magritte2 loads Magritte-Seaside which pulls in the whole
>> enchilada.
>>
>> You can just arrange to have just Magritte-Model loaded (without
>> Magritte-Seaside) by just loading #('Magritte-Model')...
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>>
>>> dale?
>>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Tudor Girba
>>> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>> I do not know. This is what the ConfigurationOfGrease says:
>>> ConfigurationOfGrease>>version10alpha91: spec
>>>      spec project: 'Refactoring-Core' with: '1.3'.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>> On 27 May 2010, at 18:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>> +1
>>> On May 27, 2010, at 2:58 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Tudor Girba
>>> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>> Glamour is loading Magritte which loads Grease which loads the RB. Is
>>> this a problem?
>>> Seeing completely from outside and without knowing anything, I don't
>>> understand why Grease, as a compatible layer framework (or whatever it is)
>>> should load RB by default.
>>> Cheers
>>> Mariano

Julian Fitzell wrote:
> Yeah, clearly you should not *have* to load Slime. Nor should you have
> to load the Seaside development tools, examples, etc... The Monticello
> configs need a few more groups I guess.
>
> Julian

Julian,

There are a number of things that could be restructured in Seaside3.0.
For one thing there are several "projects" that are embedded in the
Seaside3.0 Metacello configuration:

   - Javascript
   - JQuery
   - Prototype
   - RSS
   - Scriptaculous
   - Comet

Each of these _could_ (should?) be broken out into their own
configuration. Grease, Swazoo2, and Kom are already broken out into
separate configurations.

Once that's done you could start creating some groups that carve the
remaining packages into logical chunks...

I will probably start some intensive Seaside3.0 work next week (after
the holiday on Monday:). So that would be a good time to do some
configuration refactoring and group defining...Other than the (obvious
to me) new configs I mentioned above, I don't have an opinion on how the
system should be grouped, so you guys need to make the decisions ...
I'll take your desires and turn them into Metacello definitions.

Possibile groupings would include things like the following (keep in
mind that the minimum loadable chunk in Metacello is a package, so the
groups should be designed to create commonly used groupings without
having to cover all possible combos):

   - core without continuations
   - core with continuations
   - production tools (tools that should be included in production)
   - development tools (broader range of tools)
   - slime
   - addons bundle (for things like email, html5, internet explorer)
   - separate groups for each each of the Adaptors

I think there are several additional possibilities carving up tests, but
I think that test grouping should be deferred until we've got a firm
grasp on the non-test groupings.

Dale