why is my spur image taking up so much memory?

why is my spur image taking up so much memory?

Chris Muller-3

I did a

   SpaceTally new systemWideSpaceTally explore

and, inside that

   (self inject: 0 into: [ : sum : each | sum + each
spaceForInstances]) asBytesDescription    "===>  152M"

And yet,

   (Smalltalk vmParameterAt: 3) asBytesDescription  "===> 677M"

Ubuntu's "System Monitor" shows it taking "306.8 MiB" which is how big
the file is on disk.

So, its either 152MB, 677M, or 306M depending on who you ask.

I was trying to get my image size cut down, I've never had this
problem before -- where the SpaceTally reports total objects reports
only a fraction compared to the actual consumption of the image...

re: why is my spur image taking up so much memory?

ccrraaiigg

Hi Chris--

     Sounds like a good opportunity for some shared-screen pair programming!

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org
+ 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: why is my spur image taking up so much memory?

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Chris, if you use the About Squeak... dialog and look at VM parameters you can see how much free space.  What I suspect you're seeing is that there's lots if free space in the image.  So indeed there's 160m of objects, a huge amount if wasted space and a working set of 300m (which includes platform state, eg x11).  I still have some work to do on snapshot to save less free soace in the image and on load to limit the amount of free space allocated.

Eliot (phone)