why the white theme is still the default theme in Moose?

why the white theme is still the default theme in Moose?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

Why this broken theme is still the default theme?
Do we think that this is a good promotion for Moose and Pharo? Seriously?
So I’m waiting for an answer and based on this answer I will take actions because this is too long now that the system
is on his knees from that perspective.

Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 08.28.39.pdf (88K) Download Attachment
Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 08.31.20.pdf (90K) Download Attachment

Re: why the white theme is still the default theme in Moose?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Stef,

I have tried before and I will continue to try to work with people and treat this problem in an engineering way.

It seems to me that you find the two screenshots self evident. I do not.

First, you provided the white theme screenshot for a window that is passive, not active.

Then, do you have problems identifying the parts in the window?

Doru
.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Why this broken theme is still the default theme?
Do we think that this is a good promotion for Moose and Pharo? Seriously?
So I’m waiting for an answer and based on this answer I will take actions because this is too long now that the system
is on his knees from that perspective.

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: why the white theme is still the default theme in Moose?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Thanks. This is something concrete.

Now, please look at an active window, not a passive one like it was depicted in the screenshot from Stef. See the attached one.

Inline image 1

Doru

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 26 Jun 2014, at 10:52, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Stef,

I have tried before and I will continue to try to work with people and treat this problem in an engineering way.

It seems to me that you find the two screenshots self evident. I do not.

First, you provided the white theme screenshot for a window that is passive, not active.

Then, do you have problems identifying the parts in the window?

List separators are ending in a strange way at the top.

Doru
.

On 26 Jun 2014, at 11:38, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks. This is something concrete.

Now, please look at an active window, not a passive one like it was depicted in the screenshot from Stef. See the attached one.

Yes, but passive window looks broken. Also this blue gradient things at drop down lists are strange and buttons at scrollbar that have no indicator that they are scroll buttons. Etc…

Uko

<active-window-whitetheme.png>

Doru

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 26 Jun 2014, at 10:52, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Stef,

I have tried before and I will continue to try to work with people and treat this problem in an engineering way.

It seems to me that you find the two screenshots self evident. I do not.

First, you provided the white theme screenshot for a window that is passive, not active.

Then, do you have problems identifying the parts in the window?

List separators are ending in a strange way at the top.

Doru
.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Why this broken theme is still the default theme?
Do we think that this is a good promotion for Moose and Pharo? Seriously?
So I’m waiting for an answer and based on this answer I will take actions because this is too long now that the system
is on his knees from that perspective.

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: why the white theme is still the default theme in Moose?

stepharo
this one sucks too.
I do not see combo box, I do not see scrollbar arrows.

Stef

On 26/6/14 11:38, Tudor Girba wrote:
Hi,

Thanks. This is something concrete.

Now, please look at an active window, not a passive one like it was depicted in the screenshot from Stef. See the attached one.

Inline
            image 1

Doru

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 26 Jun 2014, at 10:52, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Stef,

I have tried before and I will continue to try to work with people and treat this problem in an engineering way.

It seems to me that you find the two screenshots self evident. I do not.

First, you provided the white theme screenshot for a window that is passive, not active.

Then, do you have problems identifying the parts in the window?

List separators are ending in a strange way at the top.

Doru
.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Why this broken theme is still the default theme?
Do we think that this is a good promotion for Moose and Pharo? Seriously?
So I’m waiting for an answer and based on this answer I will take actions because this is too long now that the system
is on his knees from that perspective.

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: why the white theme is still the default theme in Moose?

stepharo

>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks. This is something concrete.
>>
>> Now, please look at an active window, not a passive one like it was
>> depicted in the screenshot from Stef. See the attached one.
>
> Yes, but passive window looks broken. Also this blue gradient things
> at drop down lists are strange and buttons at scrollbar that have no
> indicator that they are scroll buttons. Etc…

obviously I'm not the only one to see that.
In the rmod team nobody working for real with moose is using the white
theme since months.

Re: why the white theme is still the default theme in Moose?

jfabry
Hi all,

here are my two cents on what can be improved given the screenshot:

- scrollbars up/down buttons don’t have the arrows. There is no way to distinguish between the slider and the button. See the list of classes for an example. This is really annoying.
- buttons don’t have borders that outline them. In my opinion, a convention that has been used since more than 20 years should not be broken just like that.
- drop down menus don’t have an icon in their drop down box.
- the entire group of ‘groups, hierarchy, class side, comments’ is ugly with all the spurious white lines
- the white border on the left and right of the window is annoying. It should be or a thicker gray window border, or the widgets should go out to the end.

To be positive: the border around the drop down menus makes them much better than before.

On Jun 26, 2014, at 5:38 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks. This is something concrete.
>
> Now, please look at an active window, not a passive one like it was depicted in the screenshot from Stef. See the attached one.
>
> <active-window-whitetheme.png>
>
> Doru
>

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 26 Jun 2014, at 10:52, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> I have tried before and I will continue to try to work with people and treat this problem in an engineering way.
>>
>> It seems to me that you find the two screenshots self evident. I do not.
>>
>> First, you provided the white theme screenshot for a window that is passive, not active.
>>
>> Then, do you have problems identifying the parts in the window?
>
> List separators are ending in a strange way at the top.
>

>> Doru
>> .
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Why this broken theme is still the default theme?
>> Do we think that this is a good promotion for Moose and Pharo? Seriously?
>> So I’m waiting for an answer and based on this answer I will take actions because this is too long now that the system
>> is on his knees from that perspective.
>>
>> Stef

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing has its own flow"

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: why the white theme is still the default theme in Moose?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Thanks for the concrete points. I will follow up with another email.

Doru

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

here are my two cents on what can be improved given the screenshot:

- scrollbars up/down buttons don’t have the arrows. There is no way to distinguish between the slider and the button. See the list of classes for an example. This is really annoying.
- buttons don’t have borders that outline them. In my opinion, a convention that has been used since more than 20 years should not be broken just like that.
- drop down menus don’t have an icon in their drop down box.
- the entire group of ‘groups, hierarchy, class side, comments’ is ugly with all the spurious white lines
- the white border on the left and right of the window is annoying. It should be or a thicker gray window border, or the widgets should go out to the end.

To be positive: the border around the drop down menus makes them much better than before.

On Jun 26, 2014, at 5:38 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks. This is something concrete.
>
> Now, please look at an active window, not a passive one like it was depicted in the screenshot from Stef. See the attached one.
>
> <active-window-whitetheme.png>
>
> Doru
>

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 26 Jun 2014, at 10:52, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> I have tried before and I will continue to try to work with people and treat this problem in an engineering way.
>>
>> It seems to me that you find the two screenshots self evident. I do not.
>>
>> First, you provided the white theme screenshot for a window that is passive, not active.
>>
>> Then, do you have problems identifying the parts in the window?
>
> List separators are ending in a strange way at the top.
>

>> Doru
>> .
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Why this broken theme is still the default theme?
>> Do we think that this is a good promotion for Moose and Pharo? Seriously?
>> So I’m waiting for an answer and based on this answer I will take actions because this is too long now that the system
>> is on his knees from that perspective.
>>
>> Stef

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing has its own flow"

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: why the white theme is still the default theme in Moose?

Aliaksei Syrel
Hi all,

I just want to remind, that Moose is not about colors, icons and arrows - it's about data, visualization and research. It's open source and everyone can improve it. Not all programmers can draw amazing Apple/Windows/Ubuntu/whatever like interface parts.

Cheers,
Alex

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the concrete points. I will follow up with another email.

Doru

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

here are my two cents on what can be improved given the screenshot:

- scrollbars up/down buttons don’t have the arrows. There is no way to distinguish between the slider and the button. See the list of classes for an example. This is really annoying.
- buttons don’t have borders that outline them. In my opinion, a convention that has been used since more than 20 years should not be broken just like that.
- drop down menus don’t have an icon in their drop down box.
- the entire group of ‘groups, hierarchy, class side, comments’ is ugly with all the spurious white lines
- the white border on the left and right of the window is annoying. It should be or a thicker gray window border, or the widgets should go out to the end.

To be positive: the border around the drop down menus makes them much better than before.

On Jun 26, 2014, at 5:38 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks. This is something concrete.
>
> Now, please look at an active window, not a passive one like it was depicted in the screenshot from Stef. See the attached one.
>
> <active-window-whitetheme.png>
>
> Doru
>

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 26 Jun 2014, at 10:52, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> I have tried before and I will continue to try to work with people and treat this problem in an engineering way.
>>
>> It seems to me that you find the two screenshots self evident. I do not.
>>
>> First, you provided the white theme screenshot for a window that is passive, not active.
>>
>> Then, do you have problems identifying the parts in the window?
>
> List separators are ending in a strange way at the top.
>

>> Doru
>> .
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Why this broken theme is still the default theme?
>> Do we think that this is a good promotion for Moose and Pharo? Seriously?
>> So I’m waiting for an answer and based on this answer I will take actions because this is too long now that the system
>> is on his knees from that perspective.
>>
>> Stef

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing has its own flow"

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: why the white theme is still the default theme in Moose?

abergel
I have never feel that not having a scrollbar indicator is a real problem. On my iphone, I even do not know whether something is scrollable or not.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Jun 26, 2014, at 5:43 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List separators are ending in a strange way at the top.

Doru
.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Why this broken theme is still the default theme?
Do we think that this is a good promotion for Moose and Pharo? Seriously?
So I’m waiting for an answer and based on this answer I will take actions because this is too long now that the system
is on his knees from that perspective.

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: why the white theme is still the default theme in Moose?

stepharo
Hi syrel

I know I wrote some first versions of moose long time ago and I often work in the dark on the boring things like making
sure that the configurations work. You know the stuff that nobody get fame to do.
Now when the user interface systematically alienates the user, it gets really annoying.

Stef