window title on Unix?

EstebanLM

Hi,
Is there a way to change the window title in unix vm?
(in windows you can achieve that in the .ini file, mac lacks of that, but I will change it soon)

cheers,
Esteban

Re: window title on Unix?

Bob Arning-2

Well...

An ugly hack that used to work:

Smalltalk imageName: 'this is my window'.

Not a good idea if the user has the opportunity to save the image and seems like it might require some tweaking in the current image.

Cheers,
Bob

On 1/6/12 10:20 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

Hi,
Is there a way to change the window title in unix vm?
(in windows you can achieve that in the .ini file, mac lacks of that, but I will change it soon)

cheers,
Esteban

Re: window title on Unix?

Bert Freudenberg

On 06.01.2012, at 16:20, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a way to change the window title in unix vm?
> (in windows you can achieve that in the .ini file, mac lacks of that, but I will change it soon)
>
> cheers,
> Esteban

You can do it dynamically. We use that in Etoys to display the current project name. Works on Mac, Win, and Linux. See attachment.

- Bert -

DisplayScreen class-host window access.st (1K) Download Attachment

Re: window title on Unix?

EstebanLM

thanks, Bert

El 06/01/2012, a las 12:59p.m., Bert Freudenberg escribió:

> On 06.01.2012, at 16:20, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Is there a way to change the window title in unix vm?
>> (in windows you can achieve that in the .ini file, mac lacks of that, but I will change it soon)
>>
>> cheers,
>> Esteban
>

> You can do it dynamically. We use that in Etoys to display the current project name. Works on Mac, Win, and Linux. See attachment.
>
> - Bert -
>
> <DisplayScreen class-host window access.st>

Re: window title on Unix?

Igor Stasenko

yeah.. hostwindow plugin :)

but if i remember, it has no support for unix, no?

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: window title on Unix?

Bert Freudenberg

On 06.01.2012, at 18:51, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> yeah.. hostwindow plugin :)
>
> but if i remember, it has no support for unix, no?

Just enough for this to work ;)

It cannot open multiple windows yet, but it can change the main window.

- Bert -

> On 6 January 2012 16:59, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 06.01.2012, at 16:20, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Is there a way to change the window title in unix vm?
>>> (in windows you can achieve that in the .ini file, mac lacks of that, but I will change it soon)
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Esteban
>>

>> You can do it dynamically. We use that in Etoys to display the current project name. Works on Mac, Win, and Linux. See attachment.
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: window title on Unix?

EstebanLM

Bert's change set works on Eliot's mac builds...
But it doesn't work on:
-my builds (this was expected, as cocoa and carbon are very different and I never touched this code)
-unix jenkins builds
-unix Eliot's builds (this one was unexpected... )

I will adapt this to cocoa... can someone with unix vm skills see how to adapt it to current unix? (I'm not requiring, I'm begging :P)

best,
Esteban

El 06/01/2012, a las 3:57p.m., Bert Freudenberg escribió:

> On 06.01.2012, at 18:51, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>

>> yeah.. hostwindow plugin :)
>>
>> but if i remember, it has no support for unix, no?
>
> Just enough for this to work ;)
>
> It cannot open multiple windows yet, but it can change the main window.
>
> - Bert -

>>> You can do it dynamically. We use that in Etoys to display the current project name. Works on Mac, Win, and Linux. See attachment.
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.

Re: window title on Unix?

Bert Freudenberg

Maybe the unix builds just don't include the HostWindowPlugin? You need

        http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/HostWindowPlugin/

as well as display_hostWindowSetTitle() etc. in sqUnixX11.c from

        http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/

For full host window support, these stubs would have to be actually implemented.

- Bert -

On 06.01.2012, at 22:14, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Bert's change set works on Eliot's mac builds...
> But it doesn't work on:
> -my builds (this was expected, as cocoa and carbon are very different and I never touched this code)
> -unix jenkins builds
> -unix Eliot's builds (this one was unexpected... )
>
> I will adapt this to cocoa... can someone with unix vm skills see how to adapt it to current unix? (I'm not requiring, I'm begging :P)
>
> best,
> Esteban
>
> El 06/01/2012, a las 3:57p.m., Bert Freudenberg escribió:
>

>> On 06.01.2012, at 18:51, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>

>>> yeah.. hostwindow plugin :)
>>>
>>> but if i remember, it has no support for unix, no?
>>
>> Just enough for this to work ;)
>>
>> It cannot open multiple windows yet, but it can change the main window.
>>
>> - Bert -

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko.

Re: window title on Unix?

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Maybe the unix builds just don't include the HostWindowPlugin? You need

       http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/HostWindowPlugin/

as well as display_hostWindowSetTitle() etc. in sqUnixX11.c from

       http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/

For full host window support, these stubs would have to be actually implemented.

The Cog files derive from Qwaq/Teleplace and are quite a lot different from the trunk files.  There we needed to get host windows working under Linux. But the plugin API diverged a bit since the work was done independently of trunk.

--
best,
Eliot