with: takes block vs string

SainTiss
Hi all,

I might be missing something here, but it's confusing to see that the with:
message sometimes expects a string, and sometimes a block, depending on which
tag/brush the message is sent to.

For example, html script with: expects a string, while html div with: expects
a block.

What's the rationale behind this?

Thanks,

Hans

--
A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment
  -- Willis Player

Hans Schippers
Research Assistant of the Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO - Vlaanderen)
http://www.win.ua.ac.be/~hschipp/
Formal Techniques in Software Engineering (FoTS)
University of Antwerp
Middelheimlaan 1
2020 Antwerpen - Belgium
Phone: +32 3 265 37 88
Fax: +32 3 265 37 77

Re: with: takes block vs string

Gerhard Obermann
That is not correct.

Look at the implemenation in WATagBrush.
with: 'asdasd' and with: [] and: with: anyKindOfObject
is basically available for all tags!

The argument of #with: is rendered using
double dispatching, therefore any object can be
passed as argument.

br
Gerhard

Re: with: takes block vs string

SainTiss
In that case, how come:

html script with: [html text: 'testing']

renders:

<script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*/[] in
STAAMenuComponent>>renderContentOn: {[html text: 'testing']}/*]]>*/</script>

while html script with: 'testing'

renders:

<script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*/testing/*]]>*/</script>

?
This is what I mean by the script tag expecting a string. Sure, you can pass
it a block, but the block won't be evaluated as I would like it to be.

Or did I misunderstand you?

Thanks,

Hans

--
A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment
  -- Willis Player

Hans Schippers
Research Assistant of the Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO - Vlaanderen)
http://www.win.ua.ac.be/~hschipp/
Formal Techniques in Software Engineering (FoTS)
University of Antwerp
Middelheimlaan 1
2020 Antwerpen - Belgium
Phone: +32 3 265 37 88
Fax: +32 3 265 37 77

Re: with: takes block vs string

Gerhard Obermann
Sorry i am reading too fast.
script: is an exception because javascript is only evaluated on the client.
Obviously you cant pass a block to javascript.

Just look at WAScriptTag!

> self document nextPutAll: aString displayString

It only takes the displayString of the argument.

br
Gerhard

--
A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment
 -- Willis Player

Hans Schippers
Research Assistant of the Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO - Vlaanderen)
http://www.win.ua.ac.be/~hschipp/
Formal Techniques in Software Engineering (FoTS)
University of Antwerp
Middelheimlaan 1
2020 Antwerpen - Belgium
Phone: +32 3 265 37 88
Fax: +32 3 265 37 77

Re: with: takes block vs string

SainTiss
Ok, I see...

The point is that I don't really want to pass a block to javascript, as,
indeed, that wouldn't make sense: I just want to embed some *html string* in
javascript, like this:

<script>
myHtmlString='<a href="internalSeasideLink">test</a>'
</script>

So the whole point is that I want to use "html anchor" to generate the correct
html string for me, since there seems to be no other way to figure out
the "internalSeasideLink" in my example, which I need if I want the link to
execute a callback

Hans

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 14:23:58 Gerhard Obermann wrote:

> Sorry i am reading too fast.
> script: is an exception because javascript is only evaluated on the client.
> Obviously you cant pass a block to javascript.
>
> Just look at WAScriptTag!
>
> > self document nextPutAll: aString displayString
>
> It only takes the displayString of the argument.
>
> br
> Gerhard
>
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 2:00 PM, SainTiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In that case, how come:
> >
> > html script with: [html text: 'testing']
> >
> > renders:
> >
> > <script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*/[] in
> > STAAMenuComponent>>renderContentOn: {[html text:
> > 'testing']}/*]]>*/</script>
> >
> > while html script with: 'testing'
> >
> > renders:
> >
> > <script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*/testing/*]]>*/</script>
> >
> > ?
> > This is what I mean by the script tag expecting a string. Sure, you can
> > pass
> > it a block, but the block won't be evaluated as I would like it to be.
> >
> > Or did I misunderstand you?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Hans
> >
> > On Wednesday 23 July 2008 13:53:00 Gerhard Obermann wrote:
> > > That is not correct.
> > >
> > > Look at the implemenation in WATagBrush.
> > > with: 'asdasd' and with: [] and: with: anyKindOfObject
> > > is basically available for all tags!
> > >
> > > The argument of #with: is rendered using
> > > double dispatching, therefore any object can be
> > > passed as argument.
> > >
> > > br
> > > Gerhard
> >
> > --
> > A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment
> >  -- Willis Player
> >
> > Hans Schippers
> > Research Assistant of the Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO -
> > Vlaanderen) http://www.win.ua.ac.be/~hschipp/
> > <http://www.win.ua.ac.be/%7Ehschipp/> Formal Techniques in Software
> > Engineering (FoTS)
> > University of Antwerp
> > Middelheimlaan 1
> > 2020 Antwerpen - Belgium
> > Phone: +32 3 265 37 88
> > Fax: +32 3 265 37 77

A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment
  -- Willis Player

Hans Schippers
Research Assistant of the Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO - Vlaanderen)
http://www.win.ua.ac.be/~hschipp/
Formal Techniques in Software Engineering (FoTS)
University of Antwerp
Middelheimlaan 1
2020 Antwerpen - Belgium
Phone: +32 3 265 37 88
Fax: +32 3 265 37 77

Re: with: takes block vs string

Julian Fitzell-2
Try

url := html urlForAction: [ foo ]

I haven't been reading the thread closely enough to know whether this
is the best solution to doing what you want with javascript. But it
will get you a URL that runs your block.

Julian

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:31 PM, SainTiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > --
>> > A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment
>> >  -- Willis Player
>> >
>> > Hans Schippers
>> > Research Assistant of the Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO -
>> > Vlaanderen) http://www.win.ua.ac.be/~hschipp/
>> > <http://www.win.ua.ac.be/%7Ehschipp/> Formal Techniques in Software
>> > Engineering (FoTS)
>> > University of Antwerp
>> > Middelheimlaan 1
>> > 2020 Antwerpen - Belgium
>> > Phone: +32 3 265 37 88
>> > Fax: +32 3 265 37 77

> A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment
>  -- Willis Player
>
> Hans Schippers
> Research Assistant of the Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO - Vlaanderen)
> http://www.win.ua.ac.be/~hschipp/
> Formal Techniques in Software Engineering (FoTS)

Perfect!

AND it will rerender the page :)

Thanks,

Hans

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 16:45:28 Julian Fitzell wrote:

> Try
>
> url := html urlForAction: [ foo ]
>
> I haven't been reading the thread closely enough to know whether this
> is the best solution to doing what you want with javascript. But it
> will get you a URL that runs your block.
>
> Julian
>
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:31 PM, SainTiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Ok, I see...
> >
> > The point is that I don't really want to pass a block to javascript, as,
> > indeed, that wouldn't make sense: I just want to embed some *html string*
> > in javascript, like this:
> >
> > <script>
> > myHtmlString='<a href="internalSeasideLink">test</a>'
> > </script>
> >
> > So the whole point is that I want to use "html anchor" to generate the
> > correct html string for me, since there seems to be no other way to
> > figure out the "internalSeasideLink" in my example, which I need if I
> > want the link to execute a callback
> >
> > Hans
> >
> > On Wednesday 23 July 2008 14:23:58 Gerhard Obermann wrote:
> >> Sorry i am reading too fast.
> >> script: is an exception because javascript is only evaluated on the
> >> client. Obviously you cant pass a block to javascript.
> >>
> >> Just look at WAScriptTag!

> >> It only takes the displayString of the argument.
> >>
> >> br
> >> Gerhard

> > --
> > A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment
> >  -- Willis Player
> >
> > Hans Schippers
> > Research Assistant of the Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO -
> > Vlaanderen) http://www.win.ua.ac.be/~hschipp/
> > Formal Techniques in Software Engineering (FoTS)
> > University of Antwerp
> > Middelheimlaan 1
> > 2020 Antwerpen - Belgium
> > Phone: +32 3 265 37 88
> > Fax: +32 3 265 37 77

A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment
  -- Willis Player

Hans Schippers
Research Assistant of the Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO - Vlaanderen)
http://www.win.ua.ac.be/~hschipp/
Formal Techniques in Software Engineering (FoTS)
University of Antwerp
Middelheimlaan 1
2020 Antwerpen - Belgium
Phone: +32 3 265 37 88
Fax: +32 3 265 37 77

Re: with: takes block vs string

Sophie424
"SainTiss" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Perfect!
>
> AND it will rerender the page :)

For an Ajax version, you can also insert an
    (html updater...) printString
into your javascript. #updater will replace a target element in browser with
the callback rendering from the server; #request will just make a server
request.

e.g.
renderContentOn: html
 html script: 'function showCell(cellid) {',
  ((html updater
     id: 'theTargetElement';

     "1 primary callback on server, including re-rendering onto :r"
     callback: [:r | self renderResultOn: r];

     "0 or more secondary callbacks with client-side /value/
      e.g. to pass back other client-side values"
     callback: [:v | self recordClientValue: v]
       "value: turns into JS for client to pass back"
       value: (SUStream new nextPutAll: 'cellid')))
   printString, '}'.

- Sophie

Re: with: takes block vs string

Philippe Marschall
2008/7/23 SainTiss <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I might be missing something here, but it's confusing to see that the with:
> message sometimes expects a string, and sometimes a block, depending on which
> tag/brush the message is sent to.
>
> For example, html script with: expects a string, while html div with: expects
> a block.
>
> What's the rationale behind this?

That's tricky, like for most tricky things the answer is "because
that's the way HTML is". The main issue that the contents of a
<script> or <style> have different semantics than the contents of any
other elment. We must not html entity escape the contents of a
<script> or <style> element. As an example the contents of:

<script>&amp;</script>

are very different (in HTML only).

Also note that there are two different classes for <script>,
WAScriptTag and WAScriptElement. One for tags inside <head> and the
other for tags inside <body>.

Cheers
Philippe

Page with entry fields in a form and anchors

jgfoster
Say I have a page that has entry fields in a form (with a submit
button) but also on the page is one or more anchors. The anchors are
not really intended to abandon the page, but just to update the
display in some way (like the column names in a WATableReport that
sort the rows) or do a call/answer to collect some more data for the
current page. The problem is that if the user clicks on a link the
data is the form is not processed. I understand why it works this way,
but from a usability point of view it is unexpected. Is there some way
(JavaScript?) of setting some trigger to trap navigation away from the
page check for any modified fields and take some action (like an auto-
submit or a confirm dialog)?

James Foster

Re: Page with entry fields in a form and anchors

Karsten Kusche
Hi James,

you might try to add a onClick: script to it, that triggers the forms.
This will submit the forms and should still call the callback. though
i'm not 100% sure if the submit button's callback will be executed as
well, but i somehow doubt it.
just try it out.

Good luck
Karsten

James Foster wrote:

> Say I have a page that has entry fields in a form (with a submit
> button) but also on the page is one or more anchors. The anchors are
> not really intended to abandon the page, but just to update the
> display in some way (like the column names in a WATableReport that
> sort the rows) or do a call/answer to collect some more data for the
> current page. The problem is that if the user clicks on a link the
> data is the form is not processed. I understand why it works this way,
> but from a usability point of view it is unexpected. Is there some way
> (JavaScript?) of setting some trigger to trap navigation away from the
> page check for any modified fields and take some action (like an
> auto-submit or a confirm dialog)?
>
> James Foster

Karsten Kusche - Dipl.Inf. - [hidden email]
Tel: +49 3496 21 43 29
Georg Heeg eK - Köthen
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund A 12812

Re: Page with entry fields in a form and anchors

cedreek
>The problem is that if the user
> clicks on a link the data is the form is not processed. I understand why it
> works this way, but from a usability point of view it is unexpected. Is
> there some way (JavaScript?) of setting some trigger to trap navigation away
> from the page check for any modified fields and take some action (like an
> auto-submit or a confirm dialog)?

Not sure if it applies for your case, but with Scriptaculous you can
have something like:

html submitButton
    onClick: (html request "updater if you want a request plus an update
             triggerForm: 'yourFormId'  "triggerFormElement if you
only want a field... except multiples choices)
             callback: [:value | ...])
    with: 'name'

if updater, you have a block with a renderer

...onClick: (html updater
                                id: 'anidToBerendered';
                                triggerFormElement: 'anId';
                                callback: [ :render | self renderThisBlock]

hth

Cédrick

> James Foster

Re: Page with entry fields in a form and anchors

jgfoster
> James Foster wrote:
>> Say I have a page that has entry fields in a form (with a submit
>> button) but also on the page is one or more anchors. The anchors
>> are not really intended to abandon the page, but just to update the
>> display in some way (like the column names in a WATableReport that
>> sort the rows) or do a call/answer to collect some more data for
>> the current page. The problem is that if the user clicks on a link
>> the data is the form is not processed. I understand why it works
>> this way, but from a usability point of view it is unexpected. Is
>> there some way (JavaScript?) of setting some trigger to trap
>> navigation away from the page check for any modified fields and
>> take some action (like an auto-submit or a confirm dialog)?
>>
>> James Foster

In case anyone is interested, I came up with the following JavaScript
(with Scriptaculous) code that seems to do what I want in a
generalized fashion. Any comments are welcome...

window.onbeforeunload = confirmExit;

var needToConfirm = true;
var inputElements = $$(''form input'');
var initialValues = currentValues();

function currentValues() {
        var values = [];
        inputElements.each(
                function(each) {
                        values.push(each.getValue());
                }
        );
        return values;
}

function confirmExit()
{
        if (needToConfirm) {
                var values = currentValues();
                for (var i = 0; i < values.length; i++) {
                        if (initialValues[i] !== values[i])
                                return "Unsaved changes have been made to form input elements on
this page.";
                }
        }
}