workaround for weired colors with latest ubuntu linux

workaround for weired colors with latest ubuntu linux

Lincke, Jens
Hi,

just as a note: the latest ubuntu linux ships with an opengl accelerated
window manager snd some Squeak images, like croquet or squeakland
display weired colors dependent on the background.

Workaround: One has to change the display depth in the appearance menu
from 16 to 32 to fix this.

System: ubuntu 7.10 beta
graphic card: intel

- Jens -

Re: workaround for weired colors with latest ubuntu linux

Jason Johnson-5
You can have this problem anywhere that has display depth of 16.  Why
would they pick that depth on an accelerated desk top?  I think you
found a bug with the latest ubuntu. :)

On 10/5/07, Jens Lincke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just as a note: the latest ubuntu linux ships with an opengl accelerated
> window manager snd some Squeak images, like croquet or squeakland
> display weired colors dependent on the background.
>
> Workaround: One has to change the display depth in the appearance menu
> from 16 to 32 to fix this.
>
> System: ubuntu 7.10 beta
> graphic card: intel
>
> - Jens -

squeak packages in ubuntu 7.10

Alexander Lazarevic'
Hi!

> just as a note: the latest ubuntu linux ships with an opengl
> accelerated window manager snd some Squeak images, like croquet or
> squeakland display weired colors dependent on the background.
Are the packages based on Matej's work?

Alex

Re: squeak packages in ubuntu 7.10

Lincke, Jens
Alexander Lazarevic' schrieb:

> Hi!
>

>> just as a note: the latest ubuntu linux ships with an opengl
>> accelerated window manager snd some Squeak images, like croquet or
>> squeakland display weired colors dependent on the background.
>>
> Are the packages based on Matej's work?
>
> Alex

the packages in ubuntu are based on the deb packages from LinEx

- Jens -

Re: squeak packages in ubuntu 7.10

Alexander Lazarevic'
Jens,

thanks for the info. I'm using Squeak on 7.04 with the packages from
Matej and will have a look at the squeakland, croquet images once I move
to 7.10.

BTW, do you have apt-sources at hand for the LinEx Debian packages? I
get a walkback with google on that message! ;)

Alex

Alexander Lazarević schrieb:

> Jens,
>
> thanks for the info. I'm using Squeak on 7.04 with the packages from
> Matej and will have a look at the squeakland, croquet images once I move
> to 7.10.
>
> BTW, do you have apt-sources at hand for the LinEx Debian packages? I
> get a walkback with google on that message! ;)
>
> Alex

I meant that squeak 3.7.7 package which comes with ubuntu
(http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/interpreters/squeak-vm)
was based on LinEx packages.

I use my own squeak package 3.9.8  (http://impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/) that
is based
on them and was build for squeakland.

I havn't yet looked at Matejs packages.

- Jens -

Re: squeak packages in ubuntu 7.10

Lex Spoon-3
Jens Lincke <[hidden email]> writes:
> I meant that squeak 3.7.7 package which comes with ubuntu
> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/interpreters/squeak-vm)
> was based on LinEx packages. I use my own squeak package 3.9.8
> (http://impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/) that is based
> on them and was build for squeakland.
>
> I havn't yet looked at Matejs packages.

Interesting, two more sets of deb's.  We should find a way to work
together on this, guys.

I and Matej have spoken with the maintainers of the Ubuntu packages.
All four of us seem interested in merging in theory, but nobody has
yet done anything.

There are parts of each set of debs that seems nice:

  1. The Ubuntu packages have a lot of desktop files so that Squeak
  integrates nicely with many desktops.

  2. The Debian packages have a better package naming scheme.

  3. The Debian packages have a better startup script.

I have not looked at the LinEx packages nor at Jens' so cannot comment
on those.

Info on the Debian packages, including the naming layout and the man
page and rationale for the startup script, are here:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616
  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5643

What do you think, guys?  It would be nice to join efforts
and synchronize.

-Lex

Re: squeak packages in ubuntu 7.10

K. K. Subramaniam
On Tuesday 16 October 2007 3:38 am, Lex Spoon wrote:
> Interesting, two more sets of deb's.  We should find a way to work
> together on this, guys.
>
> I and Matej have spoken with the maintainers of the Ubuntu packages.
> All four of us seem interested in merging in theory, but nobody has
> yet done anything.
Is there a reference site for Squeak VM sources from which rpms/debs can be
built? into which changes to the base sources can be merged?

www.squeakvm.org/unix doesn't seem to track changes to the base code on Linux.
The latest entry on this page is 3.9-8 while OLPC uses 3.9-12. Is this site
abandoned?

Subbu

Re: squeak packages in ubuntu 7.10

NorbertHartl

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 18:08 -0400, Lex Spoon wrote:

> Jens Lincke <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I meant that squeak 3.7.7 package which comes with ubuntu
> > (http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/interpreters/squeak-vm)
> > was based on LinEx packages. I use my own squeak package 3.9.8
> > (http://impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/) that is based
> > on them and was build for squeakland.
> >
> > I havn't yet looked at Matejs packages.
>

> Interesting, two more sets of deb's.  We should find a way to work
> together on this, guys.
>
> I and Matej have spoken with the maintainers of the Ubuntu packages.
> All four of us seem interested in merging in theory, but nobody has
> yet done anything.
>

> There are parts of each set of debs that seems nice:
>
>   1. The Ubuntu packages have a lot of desktop files so that Squeak
>   integrates nicely with many desktops.
>
>   2. The Debian packages have a better package naming scheme.
>
>   3. The Debian packages have a better startup script.

There should be no problem with merging. 2. and 3. don't read as
being questionable. If people are annoyed by the desktop integration
of ubuntu this could be a dialog option during install. That is the
way debian/ubuntu treat such problems most of the time.

my 2 ... (your currency/100)

regards,

Norbert

Re: squeak packages in ubuntu 7.10

Bert Freudenberg

On Oct 17, 2007, at 7:22 , subbukk wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 October 2007 3:38 am, Lex Spoon wrote:
>> Interesting, two more sets of deb's.  We should find a way to work
>> together on this, guys.
>>
>> I and Matej have spoken with the maintainers of the Ubuntu packages.
>> All four of us seem interested in merging in theory, but nobody has
>> yet done anything.
> Is there a reference site for Squeak VM sources from which rpms/
> debs can be
> built? into which changes to the base sources can be merged?
>
> www.squeakvm.org/unix doesn't seem to track changes to the base
> code on Linux.
> The latest entry on this page is 3.9-8 while OLPC uses 3.9-12. Is
> this site
> abandoned?

3.9-8 is just the latest "stable" release. 3.9-12 is the latest in
subversion, which is mentioned on that page under "For the very
latest sources...".

- Bert -

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 6:20 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> 3.9-8 is just the latest "stable" release. 3.9-12 is the latest in
> subversion, which is mentioned on that page under "For the very
> latest sources...".

Thanks for the confirmation, Bert. I noticed rpm specs in the olpc branch. Are
there plans to include RPM spec and Debian control files in the base code?

Subbu

On Oct 17, 2007, at 22:11 , subbukk wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 October 2007 6:20 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> 3.9-8 is just the latest "stable" release. 3.9-12 is the latest in
>> subversion, which is mentioned on that page under "For the very
>> latest sources...".
>
> Thanks for the confirmation, Bert. I noticed rpm specs in the olpc
> branch. Are
> there plans to include RPM spec and Debian control files in the
> base code?

I don't know. Ian has those files for the standard VM but they are
not checked into svn.

- Bert -

subbukk <[hidden email]> writes:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2007 6:20 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
> > 3.9-8 is just the latest "stable" release. 3.9-12 is the latest in
> > subversion, which is mentioned on that page under "For the very
> > latest sources...".
>
> Thanks for the confirmation, Bert. I noticed rpm specs in the olpc branch. Are
> there plans to include RPM spec and Debian control files in the base code?

For patches to the core VM, you should surely email them to Ian,
unless there is a bug tracker for that code nowadays.

For the deb's, it would be nice for someone to set up a repository
somewhere to use.  Historically, Ian has opposed adding having other
committers to a repository he is using.  So it would be great if
someone else took the lead to set up of repository for the deb's.

Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 18:08 -0400, Lex Spoon wrote:
> > There are parts of each set of debs that seems nice:
> >
> >   1. The Ubuntu packages have a lot of desktop files so that Squeak
> >   integrates nicely with many desktops.
> >
> >   2. The Debian packages have a better package naming scheme.
> >
> >   3. The Debian packages have a better startup script.
> >

> There should be no problem with merging. 2. and 3. don't read as
> being questionable. If people are annoyed by the desktop integration
> of ubuntu this could be a dialog option during install. That is the
> way debian/ubuntu treat such problems most of the time.

To be clear, I don't think there are any real conflicts, so it is
mostly an issue of the maintainers being interested in accepting each
other's patches.

For the startup script, it is a possible conflict, but from emails to
the mainatiners I cannot detect any issues.  The Ubuntu guys just
wanted *a* script, and did not know about the Debian one, so they made
a new one.  However, if I recall correctly they are happy with the
Debian one, too.

-Lex

Re: squeak packages in ubuntu 7.10

Bryce Kampjes
Lex Spoon writes:
 > For the startup script, it is a possible conflict, but from emails to
 > the mainatiners I cannot detect any issues.  The Ubuntu guys just
 > wanted *a* script, and did not know about the Debian one, so they made
 > a new one.  However, if I recall correctly they are happy with the
 > Debian one, too.

It was put together by a few people. We were trying to get Squeak
fixed for the Dapper release. It had been included in the previous
release but wasn't working. The Ubuntu people are easy to work with.

Bryce

Lex Spoon schrieb:
> I have not looked at the LinEx packages nor at Jens' so cannot comment
> on those.

Hi,
the 3.7-7 ubuntu packages from me on http://impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/ are
build from the ubuntu package sources and contain some bug fixes to make
the squeakland plugin run in the latest firefox.

the 3.9-8 is made from the same package but with different vm sources.
It is build for squeakland and includes the RomePlugin and FT2Plugin for
running Sophie.

- Jens -