working in teams..

sergio t. ruiz

in most cases, we work in teams..

me and someone else are working on code logic, while a developer or
two work on the stylesheets..

we tie this together with svn..

can this kind of teamwork happen in seaside?

what is the mechanism?

thanks!

___
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary
www.village-buzz.com

Re: working in teams..

Philippe Marschall
2008/10/22 sergio <[hidden email]>:

> in most cases, we work in teams..
>
> me and someone else are working on code logic, while a developer or two work
> on the stylesheets..
>
> we tie this together with svn..
>
> can this kind of teamwork happen in seaside?
>
> what is the mechanism?

SVN for CSS / images / JS.

Monticello (local http repository) for Seaside code.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: working in teams..

SeanTAllen

On Oct 24, 2008, at 5:19 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

>> what is the mechanism?
>
> SVN for CSS / images / JS.
>
> Monticello (local http repository) for Seaside code.

can someone explain exactly why this is the way you would want to do it?

if you need to keep css, images etc in sync with smalltalk code,

tagging, branching etc then this seems like a non starter.

what do you really gain from the 2 repo split?

how do people work around it?

do you check monticello packages into svn when branching, tagging etc is
done to keep everything together in one place?

just not worry about it from the tech side and use a 'human solution'?

Re: working in teams..

Colin Putney

On 25-Oct-08, at 8:06 AM, Sean Allen wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2008, at 5:19 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
>>> what is the mechanism?
>>
>> SVN for CSS / images / JS.
>>
>> Monticello (local http repository) for Seaside code.
>
> can someone explain exactly why this is the way you would want to do
> it?

> if you need to keep css, images etc in sync with smalltalk code,
>
> tagging, branching etc then this seems like a non starter.

It's just more convenient. Versioning Smalltalk in SVN is a hassle and
vice-versa, but dealing with two versioning systems isn't so bad. I
find that keeping the Smalltalk code in sync with everything else just
isn't an issue. They tend to evolve independently, and when you do
need to do it, it's not difficult.

As a versioning nerd, I understand the concern, but I haven't found it
to be a problem in practice.

Colin

Re: working in teams..

SebastianHC
Hi!

Small hint here. We are developing in VASt. One way to version external
files in ENVY, we use at our costumer, is creating a class named like
the external file resource (eg. STYLECSS) this can be imported or
exported to and from ENVY. The file contents is converted to string, or
binary, versioned and stored directly in ENVY. So we are able to version
even external files in the Smalltalk repository....

I think that might also be able for other Smalltalks...

Cheers!
Sebastian

Re: working in teams..

david54
I did something similar for StORE a few years ago.  It used a pragma in the method to define the path name of the external file, with the file contents stored right after the pragma.  The VW UI was extended to support keeping the external file and the method synchronized.

It worked well for us at the time and I think its been extended by others since then.

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Sebastian Heidbrink <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

Small hint here. We are developing in VASt. One way to version external files in ENVY, we use at our costumer, is creating a class named like the external file resource (eg. STYLECSS) this can be imported or exported to and from ENVY. The file contents is converted to string, or binary, versioned and stored directly in ENVY. So we are able to version even external files in the Smalltalk repository....

I think that might also be able for other Smalltalks...

Cheers!
Sebastian

___________________________________________________________ Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm. Hier gelangen Sie zum neuen Yahoo! Mail: http://mail.yahoo.de

Re: working in teams..

SeanTAllen

On Oct 25, 2008, at 2:51 PM, Colin Putney wrote:

> It's just more convenient. Versioning Smalltalk in SVN is a hassle
> and vice-versa, but dealing with two versioning systems isn't so
> bad. I find that keeping the Smalltalk code in sync with everything
> else just isn't an issue. They tend to evolve independently, and
> when you do need to do it, it's not difficult.
>
> As a versioning nerd, I understand the concern, but I haven't found
> it to be a problem in practice.

Do you do anything to keep them in sync or is it just a process thing?

Re: working in teams..

Colin Putney

On 25-Oct-08, at 4:00 PM, Sean Allen wrote:

> Do you do anything to keep them in sync or is it just a process thing?

Just process.