working on the All-In-One

12

working on the All-In-One

Chris Muller-3
Hi all, I updated the All-In-One from 4.4 with 4.5 files (.image and
.changes).  I included the Cog 4.0-2776 VM for Windows and Linux
(non-HT version).

I tested that I could unzip and launch in Windows and Linux.

I did absolutely nothing for Mac.  Would someone please download the
below and test it on Mac?  Probably the VM should be updated too, I
left it unchanged from whatever was deployed with 4.4.

http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.zip

Re: working on the All-In-One

JohnReed Maffeo

The zip file was downloaded and unpacked into a folder which contains folders for other Squeak versions.

When I selected the link, a file dialog window opened up on my Documents folder. When I navigated to
the folder that contained "Squeak-4.5-All-in-One" it was greyed out and there was nothing else to select.

I have a Zip-Squeak-4.4-All-in-One.zip file that I unpacked and selected the link which opened right up.

johnreed

Re: working on the All-In-One

Chris Muller-3
Hello?

There seems to be a decided lack of interest in Macintosh support for
the Squeak 4.5 release.

I'm certain we have Mac users in the community.  Would someone please
try and/or update the All-In-One for Mac?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM, JohnReed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Re: working on the All-In-One

Chris Muller-3
Hi JohnReed.  Man, I've read your note like, 5 times, and I'm sorry,
but I cannot understand a word of what you're telling me.

I assume you're using Windows?  So, just unzip the folder to its OWN
location, then double click on squeak.exe.  That's all you need to do.

Re: working on the All-In-One

Chris Muller-4
Okay, can someone fix it?  I have no access to anything Apple.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Raymond Asselin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I opened the bundle et doubled click on "Squeak VM Opt" and the message generated is the same: "Damaged file"
>
> Le 2014-02-27 à 11:00, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hi JohnReed.  Man, I've read your note like, 5 times, and I'm sorry,
>> but I cannot understand a word of what you're telling me.
>>
>> I assume you're using Windows?  So, just unzip the folder to its OWN
>> location, then double click on squeak.exe.  That's all you need to do.

Re: working on the All-In-One

Raymond Asselin-3
The image In the bundle seems to work fine with CogMT. Which VM is included in the Mac bundle ?

Envoyé du iPhone de Raymond

> Le 2014-02-27 à 10:58, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hello?
>
> There seems to be a decided lack of interest in Macintosh support for
> the Squeak 4.5 release.
>
> I'm certain we have Mac users in the community.  Would someone please
> try and/or update the All-In-One for Mac?

Re: working on the All-In-One

Tobias Pape

On 27.02.2014, at 17:55, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, can someone fix it?  I have no access to anything Apple.

Looking from here (OS X 10.9) everything looks fine. No complaints (yet)
after looking mere 10 seconds ;)

Somehow, the .app folder for JohnReed must have not been recognized as
proper app bundle, hence, I presume, he navigated to the MacOS folder
and executed the binary directly, wich then ignores all settings normally
applied then starting the Application

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: working on the All-In-One

glenpaling
Using Mac OSX 10.9.1, both the 4.4 and 4.5 all-in-ones produce this error when I try to open them:

"Squeak-4.4-All-in-One" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

4.3 all-in-one works, as does Pharo 2.0 Portable. I'll have a look.

Re: working on the All-In-One

timrowledge

On 27-02-2014, at 7:58 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello?
>
> There seems to be a decided lack of interest in Macintosh support for
> the Squeak 4.5 release.

I’m not at all sure how it is supposed to work, having never tried it before.

Downloads ok.
Click on it and you get the warning that it was downloaded and is not from a signed developer blah blah.
ctl-click to the get menu and ‘open’ which purportedly lets you tell the system to accept it anyway - seems to do that part ok.
Now if you d-click on the package you get the file dialogue to choose the image, which
a) presumably shouldn’t happen because we want the proper image started up automatically
b) doesn’t let you even see the image because you can’t go into the package. I imagine there might be some way to specify it opening in the right directory but of course we shouldn’t even be seeing it.

Now I see Tobias’ message and can’t work out how it could work for him and not for me. I’m on the same OS X  version.

Other notes - I ran the image by dragging to my usual vm and it starts up ok; but it’s named Squeak4.5-13680 - is that how we want it? I don’t mind but it looked a tad odd and I suppose I expected Squeak4.5 with no suffix.
When opened it is a completely blank image; no help windows or welcome or anything open. I *thought* I’d sent a message about that earlier but maybe I messed up.

Quickly looking in the plist file I see that the version name/number is still shown as
        <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
        <string>Squeak 4.4, VM 4.2.3b1u</string>

&
        <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
        <string>4.4</string>
&
        <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
        <string>org.squeak.SqueakAllInOne44</string>
&
        <key>CFBundleName</key>
        <string>Squeak 4.4</string>
… which presumably ought to be updated. I’m guessing here - no idea what plist files really do! I was trying to see if I could spot any place that might look like it stored a default directory to look for the image, since that is clearly not working on my machine. Ooh, here we are, a suspicious chunk -
        <key>SqueakImageName</key>
        <string>Squeak4.4-12327.image</string>

OK, changing that worked nicely. IF I twist this bit… here… and squeeze that…

That plist appears to make the right image fire up, the info box has references to 4.5 and oh my goodness the VM is ancient.

tim
"How many tnuctip does it take to change a lightbulb?" "Depends what you want them to change it into."

Info.plist (14K) Download Attachment

Re: working on the All-In-One

Tobias Pape

On 27.02.2014, at 18:46, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 27.02.2014, at 17:55, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Okay, can someone fix it?  I have no access to anything Apple.
>
> Looking from here (OS X 10.9) everything looks fine. No complaints (yet)
> after looking mere 10 seconds ;)
>
> Somehow, the .app folder for JohnReed must have not been recognized as
> proper app bundle, hence, I presume, he navigated to the MacOS folder
> and executed the binary directly, wich then ignores all settings normally
> applied then starting the Application
Revision, does indeed _not_ work.

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: working on the All-In-One

glenpaling
The launch errors are due to OSX's Gatekeeper. Changing the security settings allows Squeak to launch see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US. This is a excellent way to keep newbies away... We've been here before: http://forum.world.st/All-in-ones-tp4662358p4662683.html.

Like Tim said, changing the following changes to info.plist launches the all-in-one:

461 to: <string>Squeak 4.5, VM 4.2.3b1u</string>
463 to: <string>4.5</string>
467 to: <string>org.squeak.SqueakAllInOne45</string>
471 to: <string>Squeak 4.5</string>
515 to: <string>Squeak4.5-13680.image</string>

It is a very old VM:

/Applications/Smalltalk/Build/OneClicks/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt
Squeak3.8.1 of '28 Aug 2006' [latest update: #6747] 4.5
Mac Carbon 4.2.4b1 28-Mar-10 >45CAAEAC-5A1E-4327-9702-7973E3473FDE<

Re: working on the All-In-One

Chris Muller-3
Thanks slp5591.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The launch errors are due to OSX's Gatekeeper. Changing the security
> settings allows Squeak to launch see:
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US. This is a
> excellent way to keep newbies away... We've been here before:
> http://forum.world.st/All-in-ones-tp4662358p4662683.html.
>
> Like Tim said, changing the following changes to info.plist launches the
> all-in-one:
>
> 461 to: <string>Squeak 4.5, VM 4.2.3b1u</string>
> 463 to: <string>4.5</string>
> 467 to: <string>org.squeak.SqueakAllInOne45</string>
> 471 to: <string>Squeak 4.5</string>
> 515 to: <string>Squeak4.5-13680.image</string>

Okay, I've made those changes.

> It is a very old VM:
>
> /Applications/Smalltalk/Build/OneClicks/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak
> VM Opt
> Squeak3.8.1 of '28 Aug 2006' [latest update: #6747] 4.5
> Mac Carbon 4.2.4b1 28-Mar-10 >45CAAEAC-5A1E-4327-9702-7973E3473FDE<

Which VM do we want to deploy for Mac and where can I download it?

Let me know and I'll put up the new All-In-One.

Thanks.

Re: working on the All-In-One

Eliot Miranda-2

I recommend using the most up-to-date Cog VM from my web site: http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2776/Cog.app-13.33.2776.tgz

--
best,
Eliot

Re: working on the All-In-One

glenpaling
The VM in the all-in-one is packaged differently than your's I suspect it won't work without modification. There's two files in the MacOS folder, 'Squeak VM Opt' and 'Squeak VM Opt.sig'. The first file is the executable. I can't help much, I'm not an apple developer.  Have a look at Pharo's version 2.0 portable, they do it slightly differently. eToys all-in-one is the same as Squeak's.

Glen Paling

Re: working on the All-In-One

Chris Muller-4
Just to be clear, I need a volunteer to help out.  I thought I could
just dump files from Eliot's VM into the same places as the old VM
(replacing it).  If this is not the case then I need some help from
someone with a Mac.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 1:55 PM, E. Glen Paling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> slp5591 is so impersonal, you can call me Glen. :)  I presume the lasted version of Cog should be included, however, the VM in the all-in-one is packaged differently than Eliot's. I suspect the Cog VM won't work without modification. I can't help much, I'm not an apple developer.  Have a look at Pharo's version 2.0 portable.
>
> Glen Paling
>
> On 27Feb2014, at 14:31, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks slp5591.
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The launch errors are due to OSX's Gatekeeper. Changing the security
>>> settings allows Squeak to launch see:
>>> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US. This is a
>>> excellent way to keep newbies away... We've been here before:
>>> http://forum.world.st/All-in-ones-tp4662358p4662683.html.
>>>
>>> Like Tim said, changing the following changes to info.plist launches the
>>> all-in-one:
>>>
>>> 461 to: <string>Squeak 4.5, VM 4.2.3b1u</string>
>>> 463 to: <string>4.5</string>
>>> 467 to: <string>org.squeak.SqueakAllInOne45</string>
>>> 471 to: <string>Squeak 4.5</string>
>>> 515 to: <string>Squeak4.5-13680.image</string>
>>
>> Okay, I've made those changes.
>>
>>> It is a very old VM:
>>>
>>> /Applications/Smalltalk/Build/OneClicks/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak
>>> VM Opt
>>> Squeak3.8.1 of '28 Aug 2006' [latest update: #6747] 4.5
>>> Mac Carbon 4.2.4b1 28-Mar-10 >45CAAEAC-5A1E-4327-9702-7973E3473FDE<
>>
>> Which VM do we want to deploy for Mac and where can I download it?
>>
>> Let me know and I'll put up the new All-In-One.
>>
>> Thanks.

Re: working on the All-In-One

Tobias Pape

On 27.02.2014, at 21:01, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just to be clear, I need a volunteer to help out.  I thought I could
> just dump files from Eliot's VM into the same places as the old VM
> (replacing it).  If this is not the case then I need some help from
> someone with a Mac.

Well, how Timely is that?
its quarter past 9 pm here, so I won’t get to do sth
before tomorrow (if at all before the weekend…)

would that suffice?

best
        -tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: working on the All-In-One

glenpaling
Silly me. Just download the latest Cog VM (currently Cog.app-13.33.2776.tgz ). Copy everything, except the Resources folder,  from "Cog/Contents" into "Squeak-4.5-All-in-One/Contents". Add the image name to line 465 of info.plist: <string>Squeak4.5-13680.image</string>. That's it.

Along with the image file, the Resources folder contains plug-ins. They're different than the ones that come with the Cog VM. I'll post a list.

Glen

Re: working on the All-In-One

glenpaling
Squeak 4.5 All-in-One Resources Folder

These come with Cog VM but are not in the All-in-One:
  BochsIA32Plugin.bundle Version 1.0
  FloatArrayPlugin.bundle Version 1.01
  SqueakSSL.bundle Version 1.0
  GreenCogSqueak.icns
  Squeak.icns
  SqueakChanges.icns

These are present in both but are different versions.
  CroquetPlugin.bundle:  Cog VM Version 1.01, All-in-One Version: 1.0.0b2
  FloatMathPlugin.bundle:  Cog VM Version 1.01, All-in-One Version: 1.0.0b4
  SqueakFFIPrims.bundle: Cog VM Version 1.1, All-in-One Version: 1.6.0b5

Glen

Re: working on the All-In-One

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 05:40:28PM -0800, glenpaling wrote:

> Squeak 4.5 All-in-One Resources Folder
>
> These come with Cog VM but are not in the All-in-One:
>   BochsIA32Plugin.bundle Version 1.0
>   FloatArrayPlugin.bundle Version 1.01
>   SqueakSSL.bundle Version 1.0
>   GreenCogSqueak.icns
>   Squeak.icns
>   SqueakChanges.icns
>
> These are present in both but are different versions.
>   CroquetPlugin.bundle:  Cog VM Version 1.01, All-in-One Version: 1.0.0b2
>   FloatMathPlugin.bundle:  Cog VM Version 1.01, All-in-One Version: 1.0.0b4
>   SqueakFFIPrims.bundle: Cog VM Version 1.1, All-in-One Version: 1.6.0b5
>
> Glen

Best not to mix up the plugins. Use exactly what came with the Cog VM that
you are installing. Other combinations might or might not work, but no one
will have tested them, so don't do that.

Dave

Re: working on the All-In-One

Eliot Miranda-2

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 4:36 PM, glenpaling <[hidden email]> wrote:
Silly me. Just download the latest Cog VM (currently Cog.app-13.33.2776.tgz
). Copy everything, except the Resources folder,  from "Cog/Contents" into
"Squeak-4.5-All-in-One/Contents". Add the image name to line 465 of
info.plist: <string>Squeak4.5-13680.image</string>. That's it.

thanks Glen!

I wonder.  Is there a tool that can be run on 10.6.x that can generate the .sig file?