working visual.app bundle for intel macs

working visual.app bundle for intel macs

Tudor Girba-3
Hi,

Lukas Renggli has produced a MacOS X bundle of the vm (version
7.4.1d) that works nicely for Intel Macs:
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Moose/download/vw/visual-mac-
intel-741d.app.zip

You can start it by dragging an image on it, or by associating it as
an application to open the image with. The scripts inside also open
X11 if it is not already open, so you do not have to start it upfront.

To upgrade the vm inside, you need to replace Contents/Resources/
visual.app with the new version provided.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Doru

--
Tudor Adrian Girba                      Software Composition Group
(www.iam.unibe.ch/~girba)        University of Bern, Switzerland

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: working visual.app bundle for intel macs

jtuchel
Hi there,

has anyone gotten this to work?
I seem not to understand exactly what to do. First, doing what Tudor
describes produces a .app inside Contents/Resources/visual.app, so there
is an .app in a .app. Is this intended?
Even worse is that this doesn't work for me. The VW Icon bounces in the
dock and disappears. X11 is not being started.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanx

Joachim

Tudor Girba schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> Lukas Renggli has produced a MacOS X bundle of the vm (version 7.4.1d)
> that works nicely for Intel Macs:
> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Moose/download/vw/visual-mac-intel-741d.app.zip
>

> You can start it by dragging an image on it, or by associating it as an
> application to open the image with. The scripts inside also open X11 if
> it is not already open, so you do not have to start it upfront.
>
> To upgrade the vm inside, you need to replace
> Contents/Resources/visual.app with the new version provided.

Re: working visual.app bundle for intel macs

Adrian Kuhn-3
Works fine for me.

I downloaded the zip, which resulted in one app file (not two).
Then I draged an .im on the app and it runs.

-- Adrian

On 22. Nov 2006, at 7:03 , Joachim Tuchel wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> has anyone gotten this to work?
> I seem not to understand exactly what to do. First, doing what
> Tudor describes produces a .app inside Contents/Resources/
> visual.app, so there is an .app in a .app. Is this intended?
> Even worse is that this doesn't work for me. The VW Icon bounces in
> the dock and disappears. X11 is not being started.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Thanx
>
> Joachim
>
> Tudor Girba schrieb:
>> Hi,
>> Lukas Renggli has produced a MacOS X bundle of the vm (version
>> 7.4.1d) that works nicely for Intel Macs:
>> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Moose/download/vw/visual-mac-
>> intel-741d.app.zip You can start it by dragging an image on it, or
>> by associating it as an application to open the image with. The
>> scripts inside also open X11 if it is not already open, so you do
>> not have to start it upfront.
>> To upgrade the vm inside, you need to replace Contents/Resources/
>> visual.app with the new version provided.

Testing.

Lars Finsen
I don't know if I am able to post to the list. Making another try. If
the moderator is deleting test messages, please give me a notice. If
the list is set not to echo own messages, please give me a notice if
you read this.

LEF

VW for Mac.

Lars Finsen
Looks like I got through this time. (I also got an out-of-office-
reply from Monty Williams, BTW.)

Now I have one question. I have downloaded VW for Mac OS X and it
mostly works fine except that it cannot use the Mac clipboard and it
responds poorly to the touchpad on my iBook. So it seems something is
the matter with the interface. Do anyone here have any experience
with this?

LEF

Re: VW for Mac.

Roland Wagener
Hi Lars

Please add some detail on the configuration you are using (OS, machine,
VW-version) to your description!

Until my MacBook Pro arrived I used a 1GHz Powerbook with MacOSX 10.3.9,
and found it to be OK, even without running it under X11.

What I (not VisualWorks specific!) experienced on the MacBook is that
the touchpad missed some movements because 'Ignore possibly false
movements' was checked in the Preferences of MacOSX 10.4.8 (sorry for
the bad translation, my language is set to german :-)

And of course everybody is desperately waiting for the new Aqua-VM for
VW7.5!

Greetings

Roland Wagener
--
Senior Consultant at Georg Heeg eK
VisualWorks Ambassador

Lars Finsen schrieb:

> Looks like I got through this time. (I also got an out-of-office-reply
> from Monty Williams, BTW.)
>
> Now I have one question. I have downloaded VW for Mac OS X and it mostly
> works fine except that it cannot use the Mac clipboard and it responds
> poorly to the touchpad on my iBook. So it seems something is the matter
> with the interface. Do anyone here have any experience with this?
>
> LEF

Re: VW for Mac.

Adrian Kuhn-3
To copy, try ctrl-c followed apple-c. This works for me -- sometimes.

-- Adrian

On 22. Nov 2006, at 17:08 , Lars Finsen wrote:

> Looks like I got through this time. (I also got an out-of-office-
> reply from Monty Williams, BTW.)
>
> Now I have one question. I have downloaded VW for Mac OS X and it
> mostly works fine except that it cannot use the Mac clipboard and
> it responds poorly to the touchpad on my iBook. So it seems
> something is the matter with the interface. Do anyone here have any
> experience with this?
>
> LEF

Re: VW for Mac.

eliot-2
Lars Finsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Looks like I got through this time. (I also got an out-of-office-
| reply from Monty Williams, BTW.)

| Now I have one question. I have downloaded VW for Mac OS X and it
| mostly works fine except that it cannot use the Mac clipboard

if you're taliing abut the X11 VM then after yu copy to the X clipboard you need to use Apple C to copy from the X11 clipboard to the system's one.

| and it
| responds poorly to the touchpad on my iBook. So it seems something is
| the matter with the interface.

I haven't seen this.  The touchpad works fine for me.

| Do anyone here have any experience with this?

| LEF
---
Eliot Miranda                 ,,,^..^,,,                mailto:[hidden email]
VisualWorks Engineering, Cincom  Smalltalk: scene not herd  Tel +1 408 216 4581
3350 Scott Blvd, Bldg 36 Suite B, Santa Clara, CA 95054 USA Fax +1 408 216 4500

Re: Testing.

Runar Jordahl
Since I am one of the few Norwegian-speaking persons here, I'll reply:

Joda, den kommer frem til alle! :-) Lykke til med Smalltalk! På mange
områder gir VisualWorks fordeler i forholde til de gjengse
utviklingsverktøyene. Samtidig er det gøy!

Listen"ekkoer" ikke egne meldinger.

Runar

Re: VW for Mac.

Lars Finsen

[hidden email] wrote:

> quoting me:
>
> | Now I have one question. I have downloaded VW for Mac OS X and it
> | mostly works fine except that it cannot use the Mac clipboard
>
> if you're taliing abut the X11 VM then after yu copy to the X
> clipboard you need to use Apple C to copy from the X11 clipboard to
> the system's one.

No, I (think I) am not using X11. But it seems I can copy clips in
and out using ctrl-C/V instead of apple-C/V.

> | and it
> | responds poorly to the touchpad on my iBook. So it seems
> something is
> | the matter with the interface.
>
> I haven't seen this.  The touchpad works fine for me.

Mostly it works. Only two-finger scrolling down malfunctions. There
is of course the scrollbar which I can use instead.

I have been struggling to learn Smalltalk from a couple of e-books I
have downloaded, but now I think I need a paper book. The advantage
of the search functions does not outweigh the disadvantage of having
only one page available at one time. So I wonder if you can recommend
any that is available.

LEF