would be nice if configuration comment always contain how to load them :(

would be nice if configuration comment always contain how to load them :(

Re: would be nice if configuration comment always contain how to load them :(

Luc Fabresse
+1

#Luc

Re: would be nice if configuration comment always contain how to load them :(

Miguel Cobá
Don't forget that the aim is to have all the configurations updated to
the new symbolic version capabilities of the Metacello.

Given that, then the standard (official) way to load (either by hand or
by tools like the browser) *any* configuration will be something similar
to:

Gofer it "or new"
  squeaksource: "MetacelloRepository";
  project: "XXX";
  load.

((Smalltalk globals at: #ConfigurationOfXXX) project version: #stable)
load

This of course will be hidden from users by the existence of the
user-tools and will install the  stable version tested for the image
version metacello it is running on.

Of course it will be way to load a specific version (either because a
bug fix hunting or simply by personal preference) of a given
configuration. Something like:

((Smalltalk globals at: #ConfigurationOfXXX) project version:
'1.4-something') load

But this will be only for specific users and for specific reasons. Most
users only want the stable version for its platform and metacello's
symbolic versions give them that.

Cheers.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Re: would be nice if configuration comment always contain how to load them :(

Stéphane Ducasse
Why not put this comment by default in all the configurationOfXXX

I spent 10 min to find how to load Profstef to check a bug and I wrote the chapter on metacello with
mariano so there is something wrong.

Stef

> Don't forget that the aim is to have all the configurations updated to
> the new symbolic version capabilities of the Metacello.
>
> Given that, then the standard (official) way to load (either by hand or
> by tools like the browser) *any* configuration will be something similar
> to:
>
> Gofer it "or new"
>  squeaksource: "MetacelloRepository";
>  project: "XXX";
>  load.
>
> ((Smalltalk globals at: #ConfigurationOfXXX) project version: #stable)
> load
>
> This of course will be hidden from users by the existence of the
> user-tools and will install the  stable version tested for the image
> version metacello it is running on.
>
> Of course it will be way to load a specific version (either because a
> bug fix hunting or simply by personal preference) of a given
> configuration. Something like:
>
> ((Smalltalk globals at: #ConfigurationOfXXX) project version:
> '1.4-something') load
>
> But this will be only for specific users and for specific reasons. Most
> users only want the stable version for its platform and metacello's
> symbolic versions give them that.
>
> Cheers.
>

> El lun, 31-01-2011 a las 17:23 +0100, Luc Fabresse escribió:
>> +1
>>

>> #Luc
>>

>> 2011/1/31 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>>

> --
> Miguel Cobá
> http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: would be nice if configuration comment always contain how to load them :(

Dale Henrichs
Stef,

I will make changes to the default config comment to include a template
  (metacello Issue 106)... the current (as of 1.0-beta.28) comment in
the template is:

Copy me to create a new configuration or edit and evaluate the following
doits.

         "Create configuration class and initial baseline method"

         MetacelloToolBox
                 createBaseline: '1.0-baseline'
                 for: 'MyProject'
                 repository: 'http://www.example.com/MyProjectRepository'
                 requiredProjects: #('Gofer')
                 packages: #('MyProject-Core' 'MyProject-Tests')
                 dependencies:
                         {('MyProject-Core' -> #('Gofer')).
                          ('MyProject-Tests' -> #('MyProject-Core'))}
                 groups:
                         {('default' -> #('Core')).
                         ('Core' -> #('MyProject-Core')).
                         ('Tests' -> #('MyProject-Tests'))}.

           "create initial development method from the baseline"

          MetacelloToolBox
                createDevelopment: '1.0'
                for: 'MyProject'
                 importFromBaseline: '1.0-baseline'

But this would a be a good place to include information about how to
load the configuration as well...

Dale

On 01/31/2011 11:56 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Why not put this comment by default in all the configurationOfXXX
>
> I spent 10 min to find how to load Profstef to check a bug and I wrote the chapter on metacello with
> mariano so there is something wrong.
>
> Stef
>

>> Don't forget that the aim is to have all the configurations updated to
>> the new symbolic version capabilities of the Metacello.
>>
>> Given that, then the standard (official) way to load (either by hand or
>> by tools like the browser) *any* configuration will be something similar
>> to:
>>
>> Gofer it "or new"
>>   squeaksource: "MetacelloRepository";
>>   project: "XXX";
>>   load.
>>
>> ((Smalltalk globals at: #ConfigurationOfXXX) project version: #stable)
>> load
>>
>> This of course will be hidden from users by the existence of the
>> user-tools and will install the  stable version tested for the image
>> version metacello it is running on.
>>
>> Of course it will be way to load a specific version (either because a
>> bug fix hunting or simply by personal preference) of a given
>> configuration. Something like:
>>
>> ((Smalltalk globals at: #ConfigurationOfXXX) project version:
>> '1.4-something') load
>>
>> But this will be only for specific users and for specific reasons. Most
>> users only want the stable version for its platform and metacello's
>> symbolic versions give them that.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> El lun, 31-01-2011 a las 17:23 +0100, Luc Fabresse escribió:
>>> +1
>>>

>>> #Luc
>>>

>>> 2011/1/31 Stéphane Ducasse<[hidden email]>
>>>

>> --
>> Miguel Cobá
>> http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
>> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: would be nice if configuration comment always contain how to load them :(

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks Dale.

Stef

On Jan 31, 2011, at 9:27 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I will make changes to the default config comment to include a template  (metacello Issue 106)... the current (as of 1.0-beta.28) comment in the template is:
>
> Copy me to create a new configuration or edit and evaluate the following doits.
>
>        "Create configuration class and initial baseline method"
>
>        MetacelloToolBox
>                createBaseline: '1.0-baseline'
>                for: 'MyProject'
>                repository: 'http://www.example.com/MyProjectRepository'
>                requiredProjects: #('Gofer')
>                packages: #('MyProject-Core' 'MyProject-Tests')
>                dependencies:
>                        {('MyProject-Core' -> #('Gofer')).
>                         ('MyProject-Tests' -> #('MyProject-Core'))}
>                groups:
>                        {('default' -> #('Core')).
>                        ('Core' -> #('MyProject-Core')).
>                        ('Tests' -> #('MyProject-Tests'))}.
>
>   "create initial development method from the baseline"
>
>         MetacelloToolBox
>               createDevelopment: '1.0'
>               for: 'MyProject'
>                importFromBaseline: '1.0-baseline'
>
> But this would a be a good place to include information about how to load the configuration as well...
>
> Dale
>
> On 01/31/2011 11:56 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Why not put this comment by default in all the configurationOfXXX
>>
>> I spent 10 min to find how to load Profstef to check a bug and I wrote the chapter on metacello with
>> mariano so there is something wrong.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> Don't forget that the aim is to have all the configurations updated to
>>> the new symbolic version capabilities of the Metacello.
>>>
>>> Given that, then the standard (official) way to load (either by hand or
>>> by tools like the browser) *any* configuration will be something similar
>>> to:
>>>
>>> Gofer it "or new"
>>>  squeaksource: "MetacelloRepository";
>>>  project: "XXX";
>>>  load.
>>>
>>> ((Smalltalk globals at: #ConfigurationOfXXX) project version: #stable)
>>> load
>>>
>>> This of course will be hidden from users by the existence of the
>>> user-tools and will install the  stable version tested for the image
>>> version metacello it is running on.
>>>
>>> Of course it will be way to load a specific version (either because a
>>> bug fix hunting or simply by personal preference) of a given
>>> configuration. Something like:
>>>
>>> ((Smalltalk globals at: #ConfigurationOfXXX) project version:
>>> '1.4-something') load
>>>
>>> But this will be only for specific users and for specific reasons. Most
>>> users only want the stable version for its platform and metacello's
>>> symbolic versions give them that.
>>>
>>> Cheers.

>>> --
>>> Miguel Cobá
>>> http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
>>> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: would be nice if configuration comment always contain how to load them :(

laurent laffont
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why not put this comment by default in all the configurationOfXXX

I spent 10 min to find how to load Profstef to check a bug and I wrote the chapter on metacello with
mariano so there is something wrong.

So, what would you put in comment for ConfigurationOfProfStef ?

ConfigurationOfXXX project latestVersion load    normally works .....

Laurent

Stef

On Jan 31, 2011, at 9:39 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why not put this comment by default in all the configurationOfXXX
>
> I spent 10 min to find how to load Profstef to check a bug and I wrote the chapter on metacello with
> mariano so there is something wrong.
>
> So, what would you put in comment for ConfigurationOfProfStef ?
>
> ConfigurationOfXXX project latestVersion load    normally works .....

just that.

I tried several commands and I do not remember all these magic invocation.
In my project I put a comment so that I can forget and come back in 10 years and I will not have to guess
because I guess badly.

Stef

> Laurent
>

> Stef
>

> > Don't forget that the aim is to have all the configurations updated to
> > the new symbolic version capabilities of the Metacello.
> >
> > Given that, then the standard (official) way to load (either by hand or
> > by tools like the browser) *any* configuration will be something similar
> > to:
> >
> > Gofer it "or new"
> >  squeaksource: "MetacelloRepository";
> >  project: "XXX";
> >  load.
> >
> > ((Smalltalk globals at: #ConfigurationOfXXX) project version: #stable)
> > load
> >
> > This of course will be hidden from users by the existence of the
> > user-tools and will install the  stable version tested for the image
> > version metacello it is running on.
> >
> > Of course it will be way to load a specific version (either because a
> > bug fix hunting or simply by personal preference) of a given
> > configuration. Something like:
> >
> > ((Smalltalk globals at: #ConfigurationOfXXX) project version:
> > '1.4-something') load
> >
> > But this will be only for specific users and for specific reasons. Most
> > users only want the stable version for its platform and metacello's
> > symbolic versions give them that.
> >
> > Cheers.
> >

> > El lun, 31-01-2011 a las 17:23 +0100, Luc Fabresse escribió:
> >> +1
> >>

> >> #Luc
> >>

> >> 2011/1/31 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> >>

> > --
> > Miguel Cobá
> > http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
> > http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: would be nice if configuration comment always contain how to load them :(

EstebanLM
I would like to propose the integration of Gofer Project Loader to Gofer.
Then you just write:

Gofer project load: 'Blah'.

A lot easier than remember all the other stuff.

best,
Esteban