www.object-arts.com down?

J J-6
I downloaded the new Dolphin Smalltalk XP 6 to try it out (the demo for
making an account program looked ausome).  I downloaded the software
and installed it, but when I tried to hit the button to get an id for
the community version it hung up.  Now the entire site seems to be
down!

Is anyone looking at this?

Thanks very much,
Jason

Re: www.object-arts.com down?

ImOk
seems to be down.

[hidden email] wrote:

> I downloaded the new Dolphin Smalltalk XP 6 to try it out (the demo for
> making an account program looked ausome).  I downloaded the software
> and installed it, but when I tried to hit the button to get an id for
> the community version it hung up.  Now the entire site seems to be
> down!
>
> Is anyone looking at this?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Jason

Re: www.object-arts.com down?

Greg  McClure
Yup, down. I downloaded the Dolphin Smalltalk community edition to give
it a spin last night and I can't get it registered either. Is Object
Arts out of business? Why would their site just be completely down for
so long?

[hidden email] wrote:

> I downloaded the new Dolphin Smalltalk XP 6 to try it out (the demo for
> making an account program looked ausome).  I downloaded the software
> and installed it, but when I tried to hit the button to get an id for
> the community version it hung up.  Now the entire site seems to be
> down!
>
> Is anyone looking at this?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Jason

Re: www.object-arts.com down?

Peter Kenny-2
"Greg McClure" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yup, down. I downloaded the Dolphin Smalltalk community edition to give
> it a spin last night and I can't get it registered either. Is Object
> Arts out of business? Why would their site just be completely down for
> so long?

http://www.alchemetrics.org/ is also dead. Looks bad.

Re: www.object-arts.com down?

Geoff
One day of the website being down does not mean 'out of business'.

Many things could have happened.  I remember at one company, a person moved
a hard drive unit (it was a stand alone unit with large platters) and it
caused a head crash.  At another company, a router went out and everything
was down for 1.5 days.

So, have to wait and see . . .

-g

Re: www.object-arts.com down?

Chris Uppal-3
Peter Kenny wrote:

> http://www.alchemetrics.org/ is also dead.

Same machine as www.object-arts.com -- 213.232.95.0

So if one is refusing connections, so will the "other" ;-)

    -- chris

Re: www.object-arts.com down?

Chris Uppal-3
Greg McClure wrote:

> Arts out of business? Why would their site just be completely down for
> so long?

Well, it /is/ the weekend; it /is/ the British Summer Holiday Season; and OA
are a small outfit...

BTW, if is also ****ing hot here, so anyone with sense who /can/ go somewhere
else already left ;-)

    -- chris

Re: DON'T PANIC, was www.object-arts.com down?

Andy Bower
Folks,

No need to panic!

The sites (object-arts.com and alchemetrics.com) were down due to yet
another altercation with Windows Update.  Unfortunately the recent
automatic update to Windows Server 2003, which we run on our server
machine, didn't seem to take notice of the fact that the Microsoft IIS
server was deliberately stopped so we can run Swazoo on port 80.  After
the update Microsoft saw fit to enable its own service on port 80 thus
blocking our own Web servers and preventing them from starting up
correctly. I only noticed the problem this morning and everything
should be back to normal.

On another note, I'm sorry we haven't been around in the newsgroup much
lately.  Blair is away for a couple of weeks and I have been battling
with a series of hardware failures.  A couple of weeks ago I had a
motherboard failure on my main PC and I decided to replace all of the
PCs in the office by Intel iMacs running Windows. The last two weeks
have been spent trying to copy over the original machines onto the new
ones without having to do a complete install.  Unfortunately, it took
me the best part of 10 days to realise that this was a futile mission
and eventually decided to reinstall everything from scratch anyway. At
least now the office is completely silent with no whirring PC machinery
to disturb my slumbers :-)

I did mention that I'd been battling against hardware failure(s) -
plural. As Chris (Uppal) mentioned, it's been bloomin' hot here in the
UK for the last month or so. I have just finished sending the *second*
kaputt air-conditioner back to the manufacturers for replacement; I'm
beginning to think that all things technical have turned against me.
Sigh!

Once all this is resolved, we intend to release the next patch level
for D6, hopefully in the next week or so.

Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Andy Bower wrote:
> Folks,
>
> No need to panic!
> <snip>
>
> Andy Bower
> Dolphin Support

Thanks for the update.  I have now gotten my key and made my first
application:  (the Bank account tutorial, which I am now modifying to
get what I want).  I am very impressed so far.  I have gotten QUI
interfaces as fast or faster before, but never one that did stuff this
fast. :)