1.0-beta.26 released

Dale
Metacello 1.0-beta.26 released. Features:

  * put comment in MetacelloMCProject>>#updateProject to warn about
refreshing instance.
  * helper messages: #cacheRepository: and #ignoreImage: added to
MetacelloMCVersion
  * refactor directive hierarchy for post/pre Load directives add
#postLoadDo: and #preLoadDo: to round out API
  * clean up null recording loader with respect to fetch and post/pre
load doits
  * directives weren''t being created correctly for post/pre load
doits on packages .... now they are
  * assorted tests
  * #fetchPackage: added to MetacelloPackageSpec taking a
MetacelloLoaderPolicy like #fetchProject: for MetacelloMCProjectSpec
  * ConfigurationOfMetacello class>>alternateEnsureMetacello to be
used if GemSource repository is inaccessible

This release is primarily intended to improve the new loadDirectives
API.

As a bonus, I created a script (see forthcoming blog post on 1.0-beta.
25) that (essentially) copies packages from the primary Metacello
repository on GemSoure (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello.html)
to an alternate location on Squeaksource (http://www.squeaksource.com/
metacello.html). That way if either GemSource or SqueakSource is down,
Metacello can be bootstrapped.

I've added the method alternateEnsureMetacello to
ConfigurationOfMetacello class, that should be used (manually) in the
event that GemSource is inaccessible.

Re: 1.0-beta.26 released

stephane ducasse-2
Good
Dale with 1.0 out it would be good to have a freezing mechanism we talk about.
We will do 1.1 fast after.

Stef
On Apr 13, 2010, at 12:05 AM, Dale wrote:

> Metacello 1.0-beta.26 released. Features:
>
>  * put comment in MetacelloMCProject>>#updateProject to warn about
> refreshing instance.
>  * helper messages: #cacheRepository: and #ignoreImage: added to
> MetacelloMCVersion
>  * refactor directive hierarchy for post/pre Load directives add
> #postLoadDo: and #preLoadDo: to round out API
>  * clean up null recording loader with respect to fetch and post/pre
> load doits
>  * directives weren''t being created correctly for post/pre load
> doits on packages .... now they are
>  * assorted tests
>  * #fetchPackage: added to MetacelloPackageSpec taking a
> MetacelloLoaderPolicy like #fetchProject: for MetacelloMCProjectSpec
>  * ConfigurationOfMetacello class>>alternateEnsureMetacello to be
> used if GemSource repository is inaccessible
>
> This release is primarily intended to improve the new loadDirectives
> API.
>
> As a bonus, I created a script (see forthcoming blog post on 1.0-beta.
> 25) that (essentially) copies packages from the primary Metacello
> repository on GemSoure (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello.html)
> to an alternate location on Squeaksource (http://www.squeaksource.com/
> metacello.html). That way if either GemSource or SqueakSource is down,
> Metacello can be bootstrapped.
>
> I've added the method alternateEnsureMetacello to
> ConfigurationOfMetacello class, that should be used (manually) in the
> event that GemSource is inaccessible.

Re: 1.0-beta.26 released

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dale!.

and what about sending alternateEnsureMetacello message automatically if the original repository gives a timeout/error ?

I've added the method alternateEnsureMetacello to
ConfigurationOfMetacello class, that should be used (manually) in the
event that GemSource is inaccessible.

Re: 1.0-beta.26 released

Dale
Mariano,

Good idea ... the #alternateEnsureMetacello notion was a last minute addition after I decided that I'd use SqueakSource as a secondary repository (and publish the example code), so I was focussed on getting out the release and the blog post:)

Dale
----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Dale <[hidden email]>
| wrote:
|
| > Metacello 1.0-beta.26 released. Features:
| >
| >  * put comment in MetacelloMCProject>>#updateProject to warn about
| > refreshing instance.
| >  * helper messages: #cacheRepository: and #ignoreImage: added to
| > MetacelloMCVersion
| >  * refactor directive hierarchy for post/pre Load directives add
| > #postLoadDo: and #preLoadDo: to round out API
| >  * clean up null recording loader with respect to fetch and
| post/pre
| > load doits
| >  * directives weren''t being created correctly for post/pre load
| > doits on packages .... now they are
| >  * assorted tests
| >  * #fetchPackage: added to MetacelloPackageSpec taking a
| > MetacelloLoaderPolicy like #fetchProject: for
| MetacelloMCProjectSpec
| >  * ConfigurationOfMetacello class>>alternateEnsureMetacello to be
| > used if GemSource repository is inaccessible
| >
| > This release is primarily intended to improve the new
| loadDirectives
| > API.
| >
| > As a bonus, I created a script (see forthcoming blog post on
| 1.0-beta.
| > 25) that (essentially) copies packages from the primary Metacello
| > repository on GemSoure
| (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello.html)
| > to an alternate location on Squeaksource
| (http://www.squeaksource.com/
| > metacello.html <http://www.squeaksource.com/%0Ametacello.html>).
| That way
| > if either GemSource or SqueakSource is down,
| > Metacello can be bootstrapped.
| >

| Thanks Dale!.
|
| and what about sending alternateEnsureMetacello message automatically
| if the
| original repository gives a timeout/error ?
|

| > I've added the method alternateEnsureMetacello to
| > ConfigurationOfMetacello class, that should be used (manually) in
| the
| > event that GemSource is inaccessible.

Re: 1.0-beta.26 released

Dale
Stef,

I think that with the new fetch code we have the mechanism for creating the repository where all the configs and mcz files can be backed up....

With 1.0-beta.25 I added a loaderPolicy class so there is a natural place to store the location of a secondary repository (frozen repository)... all that remains is getting the failure code in place....

If this is aimed in the direction you are thinking then I can head there with my next Metacello release.

Dale
----- "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Good
| Dale with 1.0 out it would be good to have a freezing mechanism we
| talk about.
| We will do 1.1 fast after.
|
| Stef
| On Apr 13, 2010, at 12:05 AM, Dale wrote:
|
| > Metacello 1.0-beta.26 released. Features:
| >
| >  * put comment in MetacelloMCProject>>#updateProject to warn about
| > refreshing instance.
| >  * helper messages: #cacheRepository: and #ignoreImage: added to
| > MetacelloMCVersion
| >  * refactor directive hierarchy for post/pre Load directives add
| > #postLoadDo: and #preLoadDo: to round out API
| >  * clean up null recording loader with respect to fetch and
| post/pre
| > load doits
| >  * directives weren''t being created correctly for post/pre load
| > doits on packages .... now they are
| >  * assorted tests
| >  * #fetchPackage: added to MetacelloPackageSpec taking a
| > MetacelloLoaderPolicy like #fetchProject: for
| MetacelloMCProjectSpec
| >  * ConfigurationOfMetacello class>>alternateEnsureMetacello to be
| > used if GemSource repository is inaccessible
| >
| > This release is primarily intended to improve the new
| loadDirectives
| > API.
| >
| > As a bonus, I created a script (see forthcoming blog post on
| 1.0-beta.
| > 25) that (essentially) copies packages from the primary Metacello
| > repository on GemSoure
| (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello.html)
| > to an alternate location on Squeaksource
| (http://www.squeaksource.com/
| > metacello.html). That way if either GemSource or SqueakSource is
| down,
| > Metacello can be bootstrapped.
| >
| > I've added the method alternateEnsureMetacello to
| > ConfigurationOfMetacello class, that should be used (manually) in
| the
| > event that GemSource is inaccessible.

Re: 1.0-beta.26 released

stephane ducasse-2

On Apr 13, 2010, at 7:14 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I think that with the new fetch code we have the mechanism for creating the repository where all the configs and mcz files can be backed up....

cooooooooooooool

> With 1.0-beta.25 I added a loaderPolicy class so there is a natural place to store the location of a secondary repository (frozen repository)... all that remains is getting the failure code in place....
>
> If this is aimed in the direction you are thinking then I can head there with my next Metacello release.

Seems so :)

Stef

> Dale
> ----- "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | Good
> | Dale with 1.0 out it would be good to have a freezing mechanism we
> | talk about.
> | We will do 1.1 fast after.
> |
> | Stef
> | On Apr 13, 2010, at 12:05 AM, Dale wrote:
> |
> | > Metacello 1.0-beta.26 released. Features:
> | >
> | >  * put comment in MetacelloMCProject>>#updateProject to warn about
> | > refreshing instance.
> | >  * helper messages: #cacheRepository: and #ignoreImage: added to
> | > MetacelloMCVersion
> | >  * refactor directive hierarchy for post/pre Load directives add
> | > #postLoadDo: and #preLoadDo: to round out API
> | >  * clean up null recording loader with respect to fetch and
> | post/pre
> | > load doits
> | >  * directives weren''t being created correctly for post/pre load
> | > doits on packages .... now they are
> | >  * assorted tests
> | >  * #fetchPackage: added to MetacelloPackageSpec taking a
> | > MetacelloLoaderPolicy like #fetchProject: for
> | MetacelloMCProjectSpec
> | >  * ConfigurationOfMetacello class>>alternateEnsureMetacello to be
> | > used if GemSource repository is inaccessible
> | >
> | > This release is primarily intended to improve the new
> | loadDirectives
> | > API.
> | >
> | > As a bonus, I created a script (see forthcoming blog post on
> | 1.0-beta.
> | > 25) that (essentially) copies packages from the primary Metacello
> | > repository on GemSoure
> | (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello.html)
> | > to an alternate location on Squeaksource
> | (http://www.squeaksource.com/
> | > metacello.html). That way if either GemSource or SqueakSource is
> | down,
> | > Metacello can be bootstrapped.
> | >
> | > I've added the method alternateEnsureMetacello to
> | > ConfigurationOfMetacello class, that should be used (manually) in
> | the
> | > event that GemSource is inaccessible.

Re: 1.0-beta.26 released

Simon Denier-3

That's always good news.

What are the future steps for Metacello? If I may suggest something, it would be great if we could modify version specs in memory (like changing the blessing, a particular package version) instead of maintaining the method source. This way it could be easier to build a UI for creation and reconciliation of versions (by reconciliation I mean when I create a new version of a project, I also check that nested projects match the current packages and update them if necessary)

On 13 avr. 2010, at 00:05, Dale wrote:

> Metacello 1.0-beta.26 released. Features:
>
>  * put comment in MetacelloMCProject>>#updateProject to warn about
> refreshing instance.
>  * helper messages: #cacheRepository: and #ignoreImage: added to
> MetacelloMCVersion
>  * refactor directive hierarchy for post/pre Load directives add
> #postLoadDo: and #preLoadDo: to round out API
>  * clean up null recording loader with respect to fetch and post/pre
> load doits
>  * directives weren''t being created correctly for post/pre load
> doits on packages .... now they are
>  * assorted tests
>  * #fetchPackage: added to MetacelloPackageSpec taking a
> MetacelloLoaderPolicy like #fetchProject: for MetacelloMCProjectSpec
>  * ConfigurationOfMetacello class>>alternateEnsureMetacello to be
> used if GemSource repository is inaccessible
>
> This release is primarily intended to improve the new loadDirectives
> API.
>
> As a bonus, I created a script (see forthcoming blog post on 1.0-beta.
> 25) that (essentially) copies packages from the primary Metacello
> repository on GemSoure (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello.html)
> to an alternate location on Squeaksource (http://www.squeaksource.com/
> metacello.html). That way if either GemSource or SqueakSource is down,
> Metacello can be bootstrapped.
>
> I've added the method alternateEnsureMetacello to
> ConfigurationOfMetacello class, that should be used (manually) in the
> event that GemSource is inaccessible.

 Simon

Re: 1.0-beta.26 released

Dale
Simon,

If I follow what you are proposing, I think that that is/can be done.

What I am thinking is that the method source for a version can be regenerated after state changes have been made to the in-memory version spec information...the method source can be regenerated directly from the version spec (that's how spawn new version works).

If the changes are made to the version objects themselves things get a little complicated, because all of the conditional information has been lost (including imports) by the time you have a real version.

If the UI operates on version specs (maintaining a one-to-one correspondence with the original method source), then it would be very straightforward.

Dale