1) edit/create 3d object 2) servers to connect to

1) edit/create 3d object 2) servers to connect to

Mathieu van Echtelt-3
Hello,

It's vacation time, and I'm having fun exploring croquet.

I downloaded last version from opencroquet.org. (SDK 1.0 beta)

Some beginners questions I have:

1. I would like to edit and create 3d objects as a 'user' not as a
developer, but can't find the appropriate tools.  Found some articles
which are mentioning Wicket and EditObject3D. Are these the tools to
use? How to start these? It looks like they are not in the image I
downloaded, and I can't find any Monticello package which would
include these.

2. Is there running a croquet server where I can connect to to play around?

Thanks in advance,

AG5 Product manager

Re: 1) edit/create 3d object 2) servers to connect to

Howard Stearns

On Dec 30, 2006, at 7:17 AM, Mathieu van Echtelt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It's vacation time, and I'm having fun exploring croquet.
>
> I downloaded last version from opencroquet.org. (SDK 1.0 beta)
>
> Some beginners questions I have:
>
> 1. I would like to edit and create 3d objects as a 'user' not as a
> developer, but can't find the appropriate tools.  Found some articles
> which are mentioning Wicket and EditObject3D. Are these the tools to
> use? How to start these? It looks like they are not in the image I
> downloaded, and I can't find any Monticello package which would
> include these.

Croquet chief architect and Wicket author has a commercial company
called Qwaq.

There are a lot of good non-collaborative tools for making 3D
objects, including 3D Studio Max, Blender, Maya, Poser, SketchUp,
etc. The Croquet SDK includes a reader for the .ase files produced by
3D Studio Max, and the Contrib library includes a reader for .vrml
and one for Wavefront's .obj. The latter is used by Poser, which also
puts out .bvh motion files that the Contrib code can read. (Some of
the above tools can read other formats and produce one of these the
supported formats.)

The SDK also includes a  Morphic-based TPainter that lets you (non-
collaboratively) sketch and color a 2D shape that it inflates to a 3D
shape for you and puts it into the space.

The Wisconsin package in the repository also has a block-world way of
collaboratively and incrementally building things from within the
space. You create and size blocks or other shapes created through the
above approaches, and then paste textures onto them and paste the
shapes onto each other. (This is roughly similar to the in-world
building tool of Second Life.)  The same package lets you drag in
pictures or .ase shapes into Croquet from your desktop.

One issue with creating (or placing and arranging) stuff in-world is
keeping them for another day. The SDK provides some developer-level
tools for taking a #snapshot of a given world and resurrecting it
later. Another approach is to just connect to a space that is "up"
and which never completely goes "down". Which brings you to your next
question...

> 2. Is there running a croquet server where I can connect to to play
> around?

Not yet. The above-mentioned Wisconsin package in the repository is
set up to let folks do that, but it still needs some debugging and
tuning. Stay tuned...

> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> AG5 Product manager

Re: 1) edit/create 3d object 2) servers to connect to

Mathieu van Echtelt-3
Thanks,
i've chosen blender and working myself through this helpfull beginners tutorial:

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Your_First_Animation_in_30_plus_30_Minutes_Part_I

It was quite difficult to load the newest Wisconsin package into
croquet's fresh 1.0 image, and to be able to open the Wisconsin demo
world.

Following email-thread helped me to solve these problems:

https://lists.wisc.edu/read/messages?id=1404077

Andreas raab's explanation about loading order to solve the
AnObsoleteTLoadMDL error was crucial.

Finding the "Install" package per monticello repository also helped to
do the job.

Have to stop exploring croquet for now, new year is knocking on my door.

greetings,
mathieu van echtelt.

--
AG5 Product manager