11/2 draft meeting minutes

Mark P. McCahill-2
We did informal updates on what the various groups are working on:

1.) Liz Wendland reported that the spanish language course the
University of Minnesota built using croquet is now wrapping up -
analysis of the user interactions will start soon and a paper about
this  learning Envionment has been accepted for the EDUCAUSE ELI
conference in San Antonio in January. Lessons learned: some students
had trouble due to ancient graphics cards, and while studnets were
assigned  to work together in groups they tended to not corrdinate
when they visited the space.

The developers at minnesota are continuing work on making a movie of
the learning space, and porting the skeletal animations to the public
open source codebase.

2.) Craig Latta passed on the news that John Dougan has found
problems in the profiler in Croquet which he is looking into. It was
suggested that Andreas might have some advice in this area. Craig's
group has purchased a development license for the QWAQ forums product
but is waiting on some documentation so not much activity is
happening at this point while they wait

3.) Darius Clarke - the LA Barcamp event is tomorrow and he will be
doing a show and tell about QWAQ Forums/Croquet

4.) David Faught is working on getting examples of avatars that work
with Minnesota's skeletal animations. There was some question about
where this sort of content could be distributed

5.) Mark McCahill - Duke will be hosting the open source croquet code
repository - a machine is allocated for this and we just need to copy
the source code over and then change the DNS entries. This should
also make it easier to provide space for other sorts of content such
as skeletal animation avatars that David Faught is working on. At
EDUCAUSE last week Mark met with the Smartboard people and spent
quality time playing with Croquet on a smartbaord. Ideally, we should
come up with a weay to take better advantager of the multi-touch
smartboards or gestures. While it is possible to user un-modified
Croquet on the touch board, it is a little clumsy using functions on
the second and their mouse buttons. Hopefully we can get access to a
smartboard to put together a better UI option for this sort of
device. Croquet is really fun to use when on a large touch screen...

Mark P. McCahill
Architect, Computing Systems
Duke University - Office of Information Technology
334 Blackwell Street, Suite 2107
Durham, North Carolina 27701
USA

[hidden email]
+1 919-724-0708  (mobile)
+1 929 668 2964  (fax)

Re: 11/2 draft meeting minutes

RichWhite
Lise with Smarttech was very please to see you at Educase Mark ! ....
She emailed with some very kind words  Fantastic! They will be showing
Edusim Nov 11th in Nashville

We are starting Teacher pilots in the classroom  on their Smartboards
using Edusim next week (did an informal training today and have been
presenting it a bunch at local sup. & principal forums).... Might try
to get your hands on a Mimio if the Smartboards are tough to come by -
http://www.mimio.com ..... neat little devices with same basic
functionality as the Smartboards (they run in the $500-$600 range if
you already have the projector and connect to a regular whiteboard you
may have already on the wall).... Should have some MImio/Edusim video
out soon... and Teacher video as well.