20 Years of Squeak

12

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

Frank Shearar-3
On 7 September 2016 at 01:19, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday, 7 September 2016, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Refactoring Browser!

Do you mean OmniBrowser? I think RB is older.

We should only list projects that genuinely started with Squeak (even if some of our children disclaim their heritage). And we should acknowledge Smalltalk-80 if possible. I'll leave that to the designer ;)

I meant John Brant's and Don Roberts' Refactoring Browser (which came from/was for VisualWorks).

And you're right. I got carried away by the "get off my lawn, copycats" excitement.

frank

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 10:19 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So - what about a nice list of all the cool things that have come out of Squeak over the last 20 years?
>
> I’ll start with the ones I can remember:
>
> Scratch
> eToys
> Spoon
> Cuis
> Pharo
> Croquet/OpenCobalt/3DICC-Terf/
> Sophie
> exobox
> MediaView (remember Interval Research? Of course not, it was so secret nobody knew when it died!)
> WeatherDimensions
> MathMorphs
> Kedama
> Frank
> Nile
> Balloon3D

Great! Along this line, I think Tweak deserves a special spot.

-- Yoshiki

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

John Pfersich-2
All the xUnit frameworks were derived from SUnit.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 7, 2016, at 06:12, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Did JUnit derive from SUnit?  Some directed arrows showing Smalltalk
> ideas moving into other domains might be interesting.
>
> cheers -ben
>
>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> How about Pyonkee? Most prominent Squeak app in the iOS App Store I'd say.
>>
>> Also, impara's Plopp. Invented the "all-in-one" VM+image bundle, and
>> actually was on store shelves in a shiny box on CD-ROM.
>>
>> Also maybe VMs? Cog, RSqueak, SqueakJS?
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

>>> On Tuesday, 6 September 2016, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> So - what about a nice list of all the cool things that have come out of
>>> Squeak over the last 20 years?
>>>
>>> I’ll start with the ones I can remember:
>>>
>>> Scratch
>>> eToys
>>> Spoon
>>> Cuis
>>> Pharo
>>> Croquet/OpenCobalt/3DICC-Terf/
>>> Sophie
>>> exobox
>>> MediaView (remember Interval Research? Of course not, it was so secret
>>> nobody knew when it died!)
>>> WeatherDimensions
>>> MathMorphs
>>> Kedama
>>> Frank
>>> Nile
>>> Balloon3D
>>>
>>> If we can come up with a moderate length list of the top ones I can design
>>> a Tshirt graphic to suit. The full list ought to be part of a swiki page, if
>>> indeed it isn’t already.
>>>
>>> tim
>>> --
>>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>>> Never write software that anthropomorphizes the machine. They hate that.

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 10:19:23AM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> So - what about a nice list of all the cool things that have come out of Squeak over the last 20 years?
>
> I???ll start with the ones I can remember:
>
> Scratch
> eToys
> Spoon
> Cuis
> Pharo
> Croquet/OpenCobalt/3DICC-Terf/
> Sophie
> exobox
> MediaView (remember Interval Research? Of course not, it was so secret nobody knew when it died!)
> WeatherDimensions
> MathMorphs
> Kedama
> Frank
> Nile
> Balloon3D
>
> If we can come up with a moderate length list of the top ones I can design a Tshirt graphic to suit. The full list ought to be part of a swiki page, if indeed it isn???t already.

Remember Squeak News? A fully multimedia interactive publication
distributed on and running in Squeak. Way ahead of its time, with
no advertising, and no spam blockers required :-) I think I may
have some of the original disks stashed away somewhere. They used
to arrive in my actual mailbox with real stamps on the envelope.

Dave

cbc

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

cbc

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 6:01 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 10:19:23AM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> So - what about a nice list of all the cool things that have come out of Squeak over the last 20 years?
>
> I???ll start with the ones I can remember:
>
> Scratch
> eToys
> Spoon
> Cuis
> Pharo
> Croquet/OpenCobalt/3DICC-Terf/
> Sophie
> exobox
> MediaView (remember Interval Research? Of course not, it was so secret nobody knew when it died!)
> WeatherDimensions
> MathMorphs
> Kedama
> Frank
> Nile
> Balloon3D
>
> If we can come up with a moderate length list of the top ones I can design a Tshirt graphic to suit. The full list ought to be part of a swiki page, if indeed it isn???t already.

Remember Squeak News? A fully multimedia interactive publication
distributed on and running in Squeak. Way ahead of its time, with
no advertising, and no spam blockers required :-) I think I may
have some of the original disks stashed away somewhere. They used
to arrive in my actual mailbox with real stamps on the envelope.

Dave

Oh yeah, those were neat.  Although I missed the physical disc part.

-cbc

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

J. Vuletich (mail lists)

Quoting "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 10:19:23AM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
>> So - what about a nice list of all the cool things that have come
>> out of Squeak over the last 20 years?
>>
>> I???ll start with the ones I can remember:
>>
>> Scratch
>> eToys
>> Spoon
>> Cuis
>> Pharo
>> Croquet/OpenCobalt/3DICC-Terf/
>> Sophie
>> exobox
>> MediaView (remember Interval Research? Of course not, it was so
>> secret nobody knew when it died!)
>> WeatherDimensions
>> MathMorphs
>> Kedama
>> Frank
>> Nile
>> Balloon3D
>>
>> If we can come up with a moderate length list of the top ones I can
>> design a Tshirt graphic to suit. The full list ought to be part of
>> a swiki page, if indeed it isn???t already.
>>

> Remember Squeak News? A fully multimedia interactive publication
> distributed on and running in Squeak. Way ahead of its time, with
> no advertising, and no spam blockers required :-) I think I may
> have some of the original disks stashed away somewhere. They used
> to arrive in my actual mailbox with real stamps on the envelope.
>
> Dave

Yes! SqueakNews is wonderful. The interviews with John Maloney were
what made me want to fix the issues he pointed out in Morphic. That
was the seed for Morphic 3 and therefore Cuis too.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
My father was watching the Apple presentation and the part about iWork
showed collaborative editing of a presentation. I said "I know this!
It's Nebraska!" ;-)

David T. Lewis wrote:
> Remember Squeak News? A fully multimedia interactive publication
> distributed on and running in Squeak. Way ahead of its time, with
> no advertising, and no spam blockers required :-) I think I may
> have some of the original disks stashed away somewhere. They used
> to arrive in my actual mailbox with real stamps on the envelope.

I thought that the disk images had been made available somewhere, but
haven't been able to find them. I still have the actual CDs here.

-- Jecel

Re: 20 Years of Squeak

Tony Garnock-Jones-3
Hi Jecel,

That was indeed very interesting!

Is your PhD dissertation available anywhere? I tried googling for it,
but couldn't find anything.

Regards,
  Tony

On 09/07/2016 07:47 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:
> If you want to add SilliconSqueak to the list of Squeak based projects,
> you might find the slides for my PhD defense interesting (sadly in Prezi
> instead of Squeak, unlike many of my other presentations):
>
>> https://prezi.com/yhw-a3i0rnri/adaptive-compilation-for-an-object-oriented-and-reconfigurab/
>
> -- Jecel

thesis (was: 20 Years of Squeak)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> That was indeed very interesting!

Thanks! Unfortunately, my style of slides are not very useful without my
narration.

> Is your PhD dissertation available anywhere? I tried googling for it,
> but couldn't find anything.

The May 2015 version of the text is missing a bunch of chapters, but the
appendices have details about the processor's instruction set:

http://www.merlintec.com/download/jecel_phd_deposited.pdf

I made some changes to the project in October 2015 and updated the text,
but I still haven't finished it and put it online yet.

For those interested in Smalltalk hardware but who would prefer a quick
summary, the main idea is that in Von Neumann computers if you have
enough resources for the processor then the performance is limited by
the memory bandwidth. SiliconSqueak uses four different caches and a few
DMA style "stream units" to both increase the local memory bandwidth and
also to separate the different kinds of memory accesses so the SDRAM
controller can do a better job.

Another idea is that the Squeak Virtual Machine has three parts: the
bytecode interpreter, the object memory and the primitives/plugins. If
you could somehow execute bytecodes really fast, then you wouldn't need
the first part and you could execute the Slang version of the second and
third parts (just like you do in the simulator).

One interesting detail is how SiliconSqueak uses the code cache to
implement PICs (Polymorphic Inline Caches) with constant access times
instead of the linear times that Cog and such VMs use on normal
processors.

-- Jecel

12