2004 era desktop with an Nvidia 5200 based card

2004 era desktop with an Nvidia 5200 based card

Paul Sheldon-2
Brad Fuller wrote :

"For what it's worth, my 2004 era desktop with an
Nvidia 5200 based card,
running ubuntu edgy runs croquet out of the box."

worth a lot to my poor friends!

Re: 2004 era desktop with an Nvidia 5200 based card

Brad Fuller-3
[hidden email] wrote:
> Brad Fuller wrote :
>
> "For what it's worth, my 2004 era desktop with an
> Nvidia 5200 based card,
> running ubuntu edgy runs croquet out of the box."
>
> worth a lot to my poor friends!

That was from Bill. I run gentoo.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com
+1 (408) 799-6124

Re: 2004 era desktop with an Nvidia 5200 based card

Bert Freudenberg

On Apr 7, 2007, at 19:33 , Brad Fuller wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Brad Fuller wrote :
>>
>> "For what it's worth, my 2004 era desktop with an Nvidia 5200
>> based card, running ubuntu edgy runs croquet out of the box."
>>
>> worth a lot to my poor friends!
>>
> That was from Bill. I run gentoo.

Just for the heck of it I plunged the Knoppix DVD (*) that came with
c't magazine two weeks ago into my son's Windows PC today. This
version of Knoppix comes with Beryl, the 3D window manager. After
creating a temporary knoppix.img on the hard disk and installing
NVIDIA's 96xx drivers (it's an old GeForce 3 card which is not
supported by the latest drivers anymore) Beryl worked. Downloaded
Croquet, unzipped, started Croquet.sh, ran the master - worked on
first try.

- Bert -

(*) http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix52-en.html

- Bert -

Re: 2004 era desktop with an Nvidia 5200 based card

Ric Moore
On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 23:26 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2007, at 19:33 , Brad Fuller wrote:
>
> > [hidden email] wrote:
> >> Brad Fuller wrote :
> >>
> >> "For what it's worth, my 2004 era desktop with an Nvidia 5200
> >> based card, running ubuntu edgy runs croquet out of the box."
> >>
> >> worth a lot to my poor friends!
> >>
> > That was from Bill. I run gentoo.
>
> Just for the heck of it I plunged the Knoppix DVD (*) that came with
> c't magazine two weeks ago into my son's Windows PC today. This
> version of Knoppix comes with Beryl, the 3D window manager. After
> creating a temporary knoppix.img on the hard disk and installing
> NVIDIA's 96xx drivers (it's an old GeForce 3 card which is not
> supported by the latest drivers anymore) Beryl worked. Downloaded
> Croquet, unzipped, started Croquet.sh, ran the master - worked on
> first try.

Great! Didn't you have to chmod +x the shell and the binaries, or is
that now fixed?

Welcome back to the Linux world, Doc. I'm pleased no end to see you
amongst us. That's the promise of Easter, the rebirth! (as well as
redemption and reconciliation). Peace and Namaskar, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

On Apr 9, 2007, at 4:15 , Ric Moore wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 23:26 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> That was from Bill. I run gentoo.
>>
>> Just for the heck of it I plunged the Knoppix DVD (*) that came with
>> c't magazine two weeks ago into my son's Windows PC today. This
>> version of Knoppix comes with Beryl, the 3D window manager. After
>> creating a temporary knoppix.img on the hard disk and installing
>> NVIDIA's 96xx drivers (it's an old GeForce 3 card which is not
>> supported by the latest drivers anymore) Beryl worked. Downloaded
>> Croquet, unzipped, started Croquet.sh, ran the master - worked on
>> first try.
>
> Great! Didn't you have to chmod +x the shell and the binaries, or is
> that now fixed?

It was okay - that was the 1.0.18 SDK.

> Welcome back to the Linux world, Doc. I'm pleased no end to see you
> amongst us. That's the promise of Easter, the rebirth! (as well as
> redemption and reconciliation). Peace and Namaskar, Ric

Well, I'm only a visitor to Linux land nowadays ... I run Ubuntu in
Parallels for my OLPC development work. But no 3D there, and I'd be
rather surprised that if they add 3D support to Parallels it would
not be Windows-only.

- Bert -

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 11:27 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2007, at 4:15 , Ric Moore wrote:

> >> Just for the heck of it I plunged the Knoppix DVD (*) that came with
> >> c't magazine two weeks ago into my son's Windows PC today. This
> >> version of Knoppix comes with Beryl, the 3D window manager. After
> >> creating a temporary knoppix.img on the hard disk and installing
> >> NVIDIA's 96xx drivers (it's an old GeForce 3 card which is not
> >> supported by the latest drivers anymore) Beryl worked. Downloaded
> >> Croquet, unzipped, started Croquet.sh, ran the master - worked on
> >> first try.
> >
> > Great! Didn't you have to chmod +x the shell and the binaries, or is
> > that now fixed?
>
> It was okay - that was the 1.0.18 SDK.
>
> > Welcome back to the Linux world, Doc. I'm pleased no end to see you
> > amongst us. That's the promise of Easter, the rebirth! (as well as
> > redemption and reconciliation). Peace and Namaskar, Ric
>
> Well, I'm only a visitor to Linux land nowadays ... I run Ubuntu in
> Parallels for my OLPC development work. But no 3D there, and I'd be
> rather surprised that if they add 3D support to Parallels it would
> not be Windows-only.

Do you think that Croquet could ever be shoe-horned into the OLPC
machine? I was initially hopeful that it could be, so I'd have a
relatively cheap solution towards the cost of computers per inmates
(which there are about 2.7 million of them) for rehabilitation purposes
that I want to use Croquet for. Then I got down to the specs... <g>.

So I'm hoping that Moore's Law will provide greater capacity for the
same money sometime in the near future to expand the machine and it's
capacity. I didn't think Windows had anything to do with OLPC? That it
was to be a collaboration between MIT and RedHat for the software
underpinnings and completely open-sourced, where everything would truly
be free? That was the initial press, I recall. I could be confused, too!
I just hope and pray that all software for the OLPC program be
completely free of licenses and fees. That's where my heart is. I am not
against making money, far from it. I do believe that everyone has an
inherent right to have the same access to learning as anyone else.
Everything else can have a price-tag as long as everything can be freely
known. That keeps it all fair and up-front. So, I am a diehard Linux
fan.

Tickle me further and you'll find that I am also a fan of the notion of
a "gift-debt" society where service is exchanged instead of money. Money
can amass exponentially more money by the weight of the fortune. Once
the fortune has amassed "black hole" status, no one else has any money
unless more is continually printed. Sound familiar? Service is always a
one-shot deal and the individual has to always be of service, which is
exchanged with others in order to get goods and services. <chuckles> It
is a grand idea! I got it from the "Red Mars" series by Kim Stanley
Robinson ( http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~sparks/giftecon.html  for more on
gift-economy)

It's late, stoked up the fireplace and hitting the sack. Thanks for your
encouragement and service. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: OLPC

Bert Freudenberg
On Apr 10, 2007, at 9:10 , Ric Moore wrote:
> Do you think that Croquet could ever be shoe-horned into the OLPC
> machine?

Sure, just not with the 3D UI. Croquet fundamentally is a distributed
object system, and there is an experimental version of Tweak called
TinLizzie built on top of Croquet that allows collaboration in 2D.

> I didn't think Windows had anything to do with OLPC? That it
> was to be a collaboration between MIT and RedHat for the software
> underpinnings and completely open-sourced, where everything would
> truly
> be free?

That's correct, although it's not only MIT and RedHat anymore but a
larger open source community. However, each country can put any
software it likes onto the machine.

- Bert -

Re: OLPC

Florent THIERY-2
> I didn't think Windows had anything to do with OLPC?
Well, some will probably offer food/money so that their software is
used... They do it with big corporations, so why not with olpc
countries?

At least people react !

Re: OLPC

Ric Moore
On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 09:37 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2007, at 9:10 , Ric Moore wrote:
> > Do you think that Croquet could ever be shoe-horned into the OLPC
> > machine?
>
> Sure, just not with the 3D UI. Croquet fundamentally is a distributed
> object system, and there is an experimental version of Tweak called
> TinLizzie built on top of Croquet that allows collaboration in 2D.

Is it still capable of streaming audio and video?? I consider those
incarcerated to basically be in Third World countries and wrote Mr.
Negroponte about it to see if our DOC's would qualify for the project.
It can potentially become up close and personal when someone gets out
with no sense of purpose for themselves or anyone else. That is how 70%
get out... and the one thing they have in common is the lack of reading/
writing skills. They aren't stupid by any stretch. Merely in possession
of some bad thinking and just like a computer, a mind can be
reprogrammed if there is a functioning mind to begin with. The
pathological need other treatment besides prison. They need long-term
hospitalization, which we have been closing down in droves for the last
20 years. No one clamors for this, go figure.

> > I didn't think Windows had anything to do with OLPC? That it
> > was to be a collaboration between MIT and RedHat for the software
> > underpinnings and completely open-sourced, where everything would
> > truly
> > be free?
>
> That's correct, although it's not only MIT and RedHat anymore but a
> larger open source community. However, each country can put any
> software it likes onto the machine.

Sounds like a very good thing. Good luck on keeping it all open within
some of the more repressive countries. I guess you do what you do with a
measure of Faith. Ric

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 09:44 +0200, Florent THIERY wrote:
> > I didn't think Windows had anything to do with OLPC?
> Well, some will probably offer food/money so that their software is
> used... They do it with big corporations, so why not with olpc
> countries?
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36187
>
> At least people react !

No kidding! I had hoped that OLPC would be kept developed along the
"gift-economy" lines, using a completely open-source OS and like
applications. That's my two cents though. Here's a better link to
explain the "Gift Economy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_economy

Croquet is an example of that as well, just for the record. :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: OLPC

Florent THIERY-2
> No kidding! I had hoped that OLPC would be kept developed along the
> "gift-economy" lines, using a completely open-source OS and like
> applications.

A potential milliard-people market cannot be ignored by a monopoly
owner, even if it means having to develop a dedicated variation of
it's embedded OS... Lust, lust lust...

Why the heck would they develop a dedicated limited XP operating
system then? One that just lowers the price, and limits to 800*600
resolution, maximum 3 apps running at the same time: