2006-09-20 SqF board notes

ccrraaiigg

Hi all--

     I have obtained permission from the rest of the Squeak Foundation
board to speak for the board. I'll start with info about the current
board vacancy and action items from the most recent meeting (we meet for
an hour via instant-messaging on first and third Wednesdays). In
general, if you have any questions related to the board, please feel
free to ask; I'll try to answer.

     One board member (Stephane Ducasse) has resigned. (The other
members are Marcus Denker, Cees de Groot, Bert Freudenberg, Craig Latta,
Yoshiki Ohshima, and Tim Rowledge.) For the moment, we have decided not
to fill the vacancy, because of the overhead of holding elections. Our
sense is that it's better to just wait for the next regular election to
have a full board, unless a majority of the board should happen to
resign (in which case it probably makes sense to move the elections up).
The elections are currently annual, and the next one is scheduled for
February 2007. Thanks to Daniel Vainsencher of the elections team and
other members of the community for their opinions.

     As you may remember, Apple has relicensed the original Squeak
release under APSL2 (see [1]). We'd like to enable releases composed of
material from that original release in combination with subsequent
community contributions. We sought the advice of Dan Ravicher, a lawyer
with the Software Freedom Law Center[2]. He suggests that we begin by
compiling a definitive mapping of all the contributor initials in the
system to their authors, so we can contact each author for explicit terms.

     Bert has agreed to create this list for the Squeakland system. We'd
like a volunteer to do the same for the 3.9 release. I volunteered to
write the terms request letter (which we will submit to Ravicher and the
community at large for approval). We'd eventually like to get the
entirety of Squeak available under an MIT-style license, since that
seems to be the best combination of simplicity and familiarity.

     thanks,

-C

[1] http://tinyurl.com/lh5jp (lists.squeakfoundation.org)
[2] http://www.softwarefreedom.org

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume

Re: 2006-09-20 SqF board notes

Andreas.Raab
Hi Craig -

Thanks for the update, it's really useful to see what the board is up
to. The "mapping of contributor initials to authors" is something I
might be able to help getting started with. As you may or may not
remember I compiled a history of the change sets that went into all the
Squeak versions that were managed via update streams up until 3.6.
Attached is an OpenOffice sheet with the approx. 200 initials that
occurred between 2.0 and 3.6 (plus how many methods they touched in each
Squeak version). It is not an accurate list (since it doesn't include
anything before 2.0 or after 3.6) but I think it's a good starting point
that should help making up a list of contributors.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi all--
>
>      I have obtained permission from the rest of the Squeak Foundation
> board to speak for the board. I'll start with info about the current
> board vacancy and action items from the most recent meeting (we meet for
> an hour via instant-messaging on first and third Wednesdays). In
> general, if you have any questions related to the board, please feel
> free to ask; I'll try to answer.
>
>      One board member (Stephane Ducasse) has resigned. (The other
> members are Marcus Denker, Cees de Groot, Bert Freudenberg, Craig Latta,
> Yoshiki Ohshima, and Tim Rowledge.) For the moment, we have decided not
> to fill the vacancy, because of the overhead of holding elections. Our
> sense is that it's better to just wait for the next regular election to
> have a full board, unless a majority of the board should happen to
> resign (in which case it probably makes sense to move the elections up).
> The elections are currently annual, and the next one is scheduled for
> February 2007. Thanks to Daniel Vainsencher of the elections team and
> other members of the community for their opinions.
>
>      As you may remember, Apple has relicensed the original Squeak
> release under APSL2 (see [1]). We'd like to enable releases composed of
> material from that original release in combination with subsequent
> community contributions. We sought the advice of Dan Ravicher, a lawyer
> with the Software Freedom Law Center[2]. He suggests that we begin by
> compiling a definitive mapping of all the contributor initials in the
> system to their authors, so we can contact each author for explicit terms.
>
>      Bert has agreed to create this list for the Squeakland system. We'd
> like a volunteer to do the same for the 3.9 release. I volunteered to
> write the terms request letter (which we will submit to Ravicher and the
> community at large for approval). We'd eventually like to get the
> entirety of Squeak available under an MIT-style license, since that
> seems to be the best combination of simplicity and familiarity.
>

>      thanks,
>
> -C
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/lh5jp (lists.squeakfoundation.org)
> [2] http://www.softwarefreedom.org

stats.sxc (42K) Download Attachment

re: author initials map (was "2006-09-20 SqF board notes")

ccrraaiigg

     Thanks, Andreas!

-C

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume

Re: 2006-09-20 SqF board notes

stephane ducasse-2
hi craig

Excellent news.
I wrote a simple package that computes the last owner of a method and
collects this information.
It could be enhanced to get all the methods owners. I will certainly
do it when I have some time
using the history image 3.9. If someone wants to check and improve
feel free.
it is on squeaksource and called AuthorChecker

Stef

>      As you may remember, Apple has relicensed the original Squeak
> release under APSL2 (see [1]). We'd like to enable releases
> composed of
> material from that original release in combination with subsequent
> community contributions. We sought the advice of Dan Ravicher, a
> lawyer
> with the Software Freedom Law Center[2]. He suggests that we begin by
> compiling a definitive mapping of all the contributor initials in the
> system to their authors, so we can contact each author for explicit
> terms.

Do you have a wiki page to collect the information?
Which form do you want? at the method level?

>      Bert has agreed to create this list for the Squeakland system.
> We'd
> like a volunteer to do the same for the 3.9 release.

I could do it but what should we provide exactly ?

> I volunteered to
> write the terms request letter (which we will submit to Ravicher
> and the
> community at large for approval). We'd eventually like to get the
> entirety of Squeak available under an MIT-style license, since that
> seems to be the best combination of simplicity and familiarity.
>

>      thanks,
>
> -C
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/lh5jp (lists.squeakfoundation.org)
> [2] http://www.softwarefreedom.org
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> http://netjam.org/resume

Re: 2006-09-20 SqF board notes

stephane ducasse-2
Andreas I should be able to produce the same list for 3.7, 3.8 and
3.9 (I'm just flooded and dead tired...imagine sleeping at 9 :))
Is it enough to get the initial and numbers of change?
Do you count the author of the last version only?
I did something at the package level?
Because this is what I have in AuthorChecker but I worked at the
package level because I wanted to know
per package who was the main author.

> <stats.sxc.zip>

Re: 2006-09-20 SqF board notes

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Nice board report btw. I hope we get more of these! (hint, hint :) )

And also - once you have the dev initials you can do:

        SMSqueakMap default accountForUsername: 'ar'

Which gives you an SMAccount hopefully. Then you have full name and
email.

regards, Göran

re: author initials map

ccrraaiigg

Hi Stef--

> I wrote a simple package that computes the last owner of a method and
> collects this information. It is on squeaksource and called
> AuthorChecker.

     Thanks!

> It could be enhanced to get all the methods owners. I will certainly
> do it when I have some time using the history image 3.9. If someone
> wants to check and improve feel free.

     That would be great.

     thanks again!

-C

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume

Re: 2006-09-20 SqF board notes

Andreas.Raab
stephane ducasse wrote:
> Andreas I should be able to produce the same list for 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9
> (I'm just flooded and dead tired...imagine sleeping at 9 :))
> Is it enough to get the initial and numbers of change?
> Do you count the author of the last version only?

Yes, that's probably fine. The stats I sent also included the
intermediate versions but that was a byproduct of the method of counting
them (via analyzing the change sets that went into the system).

Also, don't forget that the goal is not to establish "who wrote how much
of what" but rather to have mapping from initials to individuals. I only
sent these stats as a starting point and to emphasize that certain
initials are more important to figure out than others. For example, if
you don't know who goes by "len" it is important since there is a big
contribution (900+ methods) in 2.7. Meaning some significant feature was
added which was written by this person (happens to be the Speech
synthesis by Luciano Notarfrancesco) and looking at 2.7 we could
probably figure out what it was and what to do about it even if that
identity couldn't be established. Being able to draw these conclusion is
worthwhile because it also allows us to deal more effectively with
small-scale contributors (there are about 100 people with less than 10
contributions in my stats). If you can't figure out the identity of
"m3r" for example (having a single contribution in Squeak 2.3) it's
probably not quite as important as figuring out who "len" is.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: author initials map

stephane ducasse-2
Hi craig

Strange I do not see my email :)
But what do you want I compute all the owners over the history of a
methods.
All the owners ever in any image?

So far I have all the last owners and I could certainly (not tried
yet) run it in 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9

Stef

On 21 sept. 06, at 22:47, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Stef--
>
>> I wrote a simple package that computes the last owner of a method and
>> collects this information. It is on squeaksource and called
>> AuthorChecker.
>
>      Thanks!
>
>> It could be enhanced to get all the methods owners. I will certainly
>> do it when I have some time using the history image 3.9. If someone
>> wants to check and improve feel free.
>
>      That would be great.
>

>      thanks again!
>
> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> http://netjam.org/resume

Re: 2006-09-20 SqF board notes

stephane ducasse-2
Ok
we can do that with my package. We should tweak it a bit. Now today
is full of lectures (as yesterday was) for me and after
I'm dead ;) But I will check what we can do. If someone wants to help
please say it.

Stef

On 22 sept. 06, at 04:49, Andreas Raab wrote:

> stephane ducasse wrote:
>> Andreas I should be able to produce the same list for 3.7, 3.8 and
>> 3.9 (I'm just flooded and dead tired...imagine sleeping at 9 :))
>> Is it enough to get the initial and numbers of change?
>> Do you count the author of the last version only?
>
> Yes, that's probably fine. The stats I sent also included the
> intermediate versions but that was a byproduct of the method of
> counting them (via analyzing the change sets that went into the
> system).
>
> Also, don't forget that the goal is not to establish "who wrote how
> much of what" but rather to have mapping from initials to
> individuals. I only sent these stats as a starting point and to
> emphasize that certain initials are more important to figure out
> than others. For example, if you don't know who goes by "len" it is
> important since there is a big contribution (900+ methods) in 2.7.
> Meaning some significant feature was added which was written by
> this person (happens to be the Speech synthesis by Luciano
> Notarfrancesco) and looking at 2.7 we could probably figure out
> what it was and what to do about it even if that identity couldn't
> be established. Being able to draw these conclusion is worthwhile
> because it also allows us to deal more effectively with small-scale
> contributors (there are about 100 people with less than 10
> contributions in my stats). If you can't figure out the identity of
> "m3r" for example (having a single contribution in Squeak 2.3) it's
> probably not quite as important as figuring out who "len" is.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Re: author initials map (was "2006-09-20 SqF board notes")

Andreas.Raab
Hi Craig -

Here is an initial map that should get us get started. The list below is
based on the stats that I sent and sorted by number of contributions.
I've decided to make an arbitrary cut off at 10 contributions simply
because it turned out that below that point it got very hard to
distinguish "real people" from typos ;-) (you will notice that some
people appear under different initials and I'm fully expecting that some
of those low-count initials are just typos).

In any case, this information should be enough to get you guys started
to do whatever you need to do. Since I'm not in on the conversations I
don't know what the next steps are, but I don't think there is any need
to stall until the entire list is filled in (which I promise to complete
provided you guys push the process forward ;-)

And of course if you see the initials of anyone you know in the list
below drop me a note so I can include it properly.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

-------- Part I: Contributors with 10+ contributions ---------
15524 ar Andreas Raab
10999 sw Scott Wallace
6666 di Dan Ingalls
5637 RAA Bob Arning
3946 tk Ted Kaehler
2821 jm John Maloney
2094 hg Henrik Gedenryd
1881 ls Lex Spoon
1622 mir Michael Rueger
1509 NS Nathanael Schaerli
1377 nk Ned Konz
1251 jsp Jeff Pierce
1062 sma Stefan Matthias Aust
979 len Luciano Notarfrancesco
977 dgd Diego Gomez Deck
773 sd Stefane Ducasse
745 gh Goran Krampe (nee Hultgren)
723 JMM John McIntosh
668 acg Andrew Greenberg
460 tpr Tim Rowledge
346 bf Bert Freudenberg
320 dvf Daniel Vainsecher
275 dew Doug Way
263 ajh Anthony Hanan
247 laza Alexander Lazarevic
238 LC Leandro Caniglia
230 rhi Robert Hirschfeld
227 hmm Hans Martin Mosner
217 djp David J. Pennel
199 mdr Mike Rutenberg
199 sr Stephan Rudlof
198 asm Alejandro Magistrello
190 sbw Stephan Wessels
184 TPR Tim Rowledge
156 Sames
156 tfei The 4th estate (John Sarkela)?
154 dhhi
151 yo Yoshiki Oshima
150 bolot Bolot Kerimbaev
148 SD Stefane Ducasse
134 ab Alexandre Bergel
127 gm
122 SqR Andres Valloud
115 rw Roel Wuyts
114 ccn Chris Norton
105 ikp Ian Piumarta
104 tao Tim Olson
101 kfr Karl Ramberg
95 MPW Marcel Weiher
95 reThink The 4th estate (John Sarkela)?
93 mpw Marcel Weiher
86 mjg Mark Guzdial
85 panda
80 ti
74 aoy
71 BP Bijan Parsia
67 md Markus Denker
67 wod William Dargel
62 JW
61 th Torge Husfeldt
58 SSS
57 jcg Joshua Gargus
57 stp Stephen Travis Pope
56 DSM
54 rww Robert Withers
50 jws John Sarkela
49 gk Goran Krampe (nee Hultgren)
41 programmatic
38 am Aibek Musaev
38 LEG Gerald Leeb
35 DAS David A Smith
35 dns
35 jp Joseph Pelrine
34 jla Jerry Archibald
34 JWS John Sarkela
33 nop Jay Carlson
30 BJP Bijan Parsia
30 dwh Dwight Hughes
30 go Georg Gollmann
29 pnm Paul McDonough
29 sge Steve Elkins
27 TBn Torsten Bergmann
24 raa Bob Arning
24 RCS
23 AK
23 svp Stephen Pair
22 hh Helge Horch
21 jmv Juan Manuel Vuletich
21 TAG Travis Griggs
20 JMV Juan Manuel Vuletich
19 das David A Smith
19 jlb Jim Benson
18 AM
17 jdl
17 MPH
16 bkv Brent Vukmer
16 sumim Masato Sumi
15 rew
14 HK
14 TBP
12 jrm
11 nb
11 rlf
10 BG
10 raok

-------- Part II: Contributors with <10 contributions ---------

9 apb
9 cwp
9 jam
8 ccn+ceg
8 CdG
8 crl
8 JLM
8 Tbp
7 ak
7 je
7 mas
7 r++
6 drs
6 jwh
6 Kafka
6 mu
6 rjf
5 BEO
5 GVG
5 jdr
5 JP
5 rca
5 vb
4 bmk
4 cmm
4 dls
4 eat
4 JF
4 jlm
4 ka
4 RB
4 SqR!!
4 tb
4 wdc
4 zL
3 jdf
3 mn
3 msk
3 RJ
3 RMF
3 sjc
3 ssa
2 ac
2 ack
2 btr
2 dtl
2 efo
2 fcs
2 ff
2 IT
2 jet
2 jhm
2 JZH
2 LB
2 mrm
2 RAH
2 rpj
2 RvL
2 sac
2 SIM
2 sm
2 sn
2 SqR!!!!
2 sws
2 tm
1 AFi
1 afr
1 avi
1 bh
1 brp
1 de
1 djm
1 efc
1 eldeh
1 fm
1 gwc
1 jaf
1 jbc
1 JDD
1 je77
1 lrs
1 m3r
1 mga
1 mjt
1 mkd
1 pm
1 slg
1 slr
1 sps
1 squeak
1 TEM
1 umur

Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 156 Sames

Sames Shuster? Can't be that many Sames coding Smalltalk. AFAIK he is at
Cincom leading Pollock.

> 154 dhhi

This is Daniel Henry Holmes Ingalls I am pretty sure. :)

> 127 gm

German Morales I guess:
        http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/4731134e-1011-4ea3-bf29-07d81282d652

> 85 panda
> 80 ti
> 74 aoy

No hits on SM for the three above.

> 62 JW

Possibly Jesse Welton:
        http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/8ea2517d-3f9b-4a56-a412-f397e1e92127

Adam Spitz:

        http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/4a4dff94-8a80-415d-af4f-ff44b9874281

> 12 jrm

John-Reed Maffeo:

        http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/53f3694f-713f-47f1-857b-8b693615e109

> 10 BG

Could be Boris Gaertner (but I only found "bg" lower caps):

        http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/96db7267-fd7f-4796-a5b0-5f46d92802a2

> 10 raok

Richard A. O'Keefe

> -------- Part II: Contributors with <10 contributions ---------

Didn't bother checking these - but it would be trivial to generate a
list using SM.

regards, Göran

Re: author initials map (was "2006-09-20 SqF board notes")

johnmci
Also don't forget
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1011

On 22-Sep-06, at 12:04 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> 35 dns  David N Smith

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: author initials map (was "2006-09-20 SqF board notes")

stephane ducasse-2
may be we can look at the squeaksource initials too.

> -------- Part II: Contributors with <10 contributions ---------
>
> 9 apb

Andrew black

> 9 cwp

Colin

> 9 jam
> 8 ccn+ceg
> 8 CdG

Cees

Re: author initials map (was "2006-09-20 SqF board notes")

timrowledge

On 22-Sep-06, at 12:04 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi Craig -
>
> Here is an initial map that should get us get started.
Seeing this list reminds of a hopefully solvable problem involved in
contacting authors; we're missing a few people due to deaths. Does
anyone have a clue what - if any- legal implications there are?

tim
Strange OpCodes: JUM: Jeer at User's Mistake

tim Rowledge wrote:
> Seeing this list reminds of a hopefully solvable problem involved in
> contacting authors; we're missing a few people due to deaths. Does
> anyone have a clue what - if any- legal implications there are?

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. However, keep in mind that for
example Henrik's contributions were almost entirely in 3.3 which never
saw the day of light so we don't have to worry about those changes too
much (about 1850 methods out of his 2050 overall contributions) since
the current versions of Squeak are not based on that code. See the
original stats I sent (this is exactly the kind of information these
stats are useful for ;-)

This still leaves his other contributions but it's now down to ~200
contributions many of which will likely be small fixes etc. This
probably needs to be reviewed at some level of detail but I don't think
it's an unsurmountable issue.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

RE: author initials map (was "2006-09-20 SqF board notes")

Ron Teitelbaum
Talk to Dan!

Ron

Patrick Mauritz
On 2006-09-22 19:32:00 +0200 tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Seeing this list reminds of a hopefully solvable problem involved in
> contacting authors; we're missing a few people due to deaths. Does
> anyone
> have a clue what - if any- legal implications there are?
contact the heirs, otherwise it's probably safest to assume 70years
after death (if the work is actually copyrightable - one-line fixes
won't count)

what leads me to..
"pm" (1 change) could be me (if it was in Network) - I consider the
change too small to warrant copyright protection, ie. full disclaimer
on that.

patrick mauritz

Re: 2006-09-20 SqF board notes

stephane ducasse-2
We will try to collect authors infor for 39, 38 and 37 with damien
pollet

I think that it would be also the occasion to put in place a process
so that we do not accept in the image
code whose author did not agree to release on our licenses. So craig
will us be able to use the letter you are writing
for that?
Could we do that electronically so that we can have multiple mirrors
of this information in the future.

Stef