2007 STS Smalltalk Coding Contest

Andres Valloud-2
http://blogten.blogspot.com/2007/03/2007-smalltalk-coding-contest.html.

The Smalltalk Industry Council Announces the Third Annual Smalltalk
Solutions Coding Contest

The Smalltalk Industry Council (STIC) is pleased to announce the third
annual Smalltalk Solutions Coding Contest. The Smalltalk Solutions
Technical Conference being held in Toronto Canada April 29-May 2, 2007
will serve as the home for the coding competition finale. Smalltalk
Solutions is the premier forum for bringing together Smalltalk users,
developers, vendors, and enthusiasts.

Coding contest prizes include:

    * 1st Place - iPod Video
    * 2nd Place - iPod Nano
    * 3rd Place - iPod Shuffle

Each of the finalists will also receive a complimentary individual
membership to the STIC.

The Smalltalk Solutions Coding Competition is broken into 2 phases of
competition. The first phase begins on April 13 and ends on April 22,
running for 10 days. Registration is open until the contest begins on
April 13. Participants must register for the competition at
[hidden email]. Confirmed registrants will receive the
requirements for the first phase online.

All coding must be done in Smalltalk. Conference registration is not
required to participate in the first phase of the competition.

The first phase of the competition will be judged by means of an
objective score based on the performance the submission. A total of
three (3) winners will be selected to compete onsite at Smalltalk
Solutions 2007 in Toronto, Canada. The winners of the first phase will
be announced on April 25 on the Smalltalk Industry Council web site.

The Second and final phase of the competition will take place on
Sunday, April 29, 2007 onsite at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre
during Smalltalk Solutions pre-registration. The details of the second
phase of the competition will not be released to the finalists until
the competition begins.

Prize winners will be announced during the conference.

Feel free to contact us regarding the contest at the following
addresses:

    * Andres Valloud, at [hidden email].
    * Suzanne Fortman, at [hidden email].

--
Best regards,
 Andres                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: 2007 STS Smalltalk Coding Contest

Aaron Reichow
I don't think I'll have the pleasure of making the conference, but
anyone know what kind of questions are part of the contest usually?
I've gone to a dozen programming contests, some ACM, some local
companies, etc, and in each and every one I could've wiped the floor
with Smalltalk, at least with the questions they ask, mostly thanks
to our awesome class library.   Just curious!

Regards,
Aaron

On Mar 12, 2007, at 3:47 AM, Andres Valloud wrote:

> http://blogten.blogspot.com/2007/03/2007-smalltalk-coding-
> contest.html.
>
> The Smalltalk Industry Council Announces the Third Annual Smalltalk
> Solutions Coding Contest
>
> The Smalltalk Industry Council (STIC) is pleased to announce the third
> annual Smalltalk Solutions Coding Contest. The Smalltalk Solutions
> Technical Conference being held in Toronto Canada April 29-May 2, 2007
> will serve as the home for the coding competition finale. Smalltalk
> Solutions is the premier forum for bringing together Smalltalk users,
> developers, vendors, and enthusiasts.
>
> Coding contest prizes include:
>
>     * 1st Place - iPod Video
>     * 2nd Place - iPod Nano
>     * 3rd Place - iPod Shuffle
>
> Each of the finalists will also receive a complimentary individual
> membership to the STIC.
>
> The Smalltalk Solutions Coding Competition is broken into 2 phases of
> competition. The first phase begins on April 13 and ends on April 22,
> running for 10 days. Registration is open until the contest begins on
> April 13. Participants must register for the competition at
> [hidden email]. Confirmed registrants will receive the
> requirements for the first phase online.
>
> All coding must be done in Smalltalk. Conference registration is not
> required to participate in the first phase of the competition.
>
> The first phase of the competition will be judged by means of an
> objective score based on the performance the submission. A total of
> three (3) winners will be selected to compete onsite at Smalltalk
> Solutions 2007 in Toronto, Canada. The winners of the first phase will
> be announced on April 25 on the Smalltalk Industry Council web site.
>
> The Second and final phase of the competition will take place on
> Sunday, April 29, 2007 onsite at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre
> during Smalltalk Solutions pre-registration. The details of the second
> phase of the competition will not be released to the finalists until
> the competition begins.
>
> Prize winners will be announced during the conference.
>
> Feel free to contact us regarding the contest at the following
> addresses:
>
>     * Andres Valloud, at [hidden email].
>     * Suzanne Fortman, at [hidden email].
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Andres                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re[2]: 2007 STS Smalltalk Coding Contest

Andres Valloud-2
Hello Aaron,

Monday, March 12, 2007, 10:32:21 AM, you wrote:

AR> I don't think I'll have the pleasure of making the conference, but
AR> anyone know what kind of questions are part of the contest
AR> usually? I've gone to a dozen programming contests, some ACM, some
AR> local companies, etc, and in each and every one I could've wiped
AR> the floor with Smalltalk, at least with the questions they ask,
AR> mostly thanks to our awesome class library. Just curious!

Last year, the goal of the contest was to write a program that could
play 4 varieties of pong by interfacing to a web server running the
game.  At the conference, the finalists were given 2 hours to have
their programs be able to play a surprise variety.

If you go to ftp://sqrmax.homeip.net, and login with user
smalltalkVideo and password now, there is a folder that has the
original game servers and a sample implementation for the 2006 STS
Coding Contest, as well as footage of a talk describing the approach.

--
Best regards,
 Andres                            mailto:[hidden email]